Power FLARM question

Old March 22nd 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Default Power FLARM question

At 14:00 22 March 2012, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
From what I've understood so far, there is one important

difference
between=
SoarTronic and the K6BT, which is baudrate switching. The

K6BT has a
proto=
col to let the connected software change the baudrate of the

adapter and I
=
haven't seen any other devices yet, that are able to do that.

XCSoar has
re=
cently implemented that protocol which makes it easy to

change the
baudrate=
for IGC file downloads for example. The Flarm does not need

this feature
s=
ince it doesn't have to change the baudrate, but my DX50

(similar to
LX5000=
) sends GPS data at 4800 yet the transfer mode for

upload/download works
at=
19200.

Turbo

Hi Turbo

You are right, as usual. Changing the baud-rate is possible using
AT commands when the module is not paired, but cannot be
done over BT connection. Setting up environment for these
settings in not easy, otherwise we would have asked people to
do their own settings. We will program these to operate on
19200b speed, since I suppose that faster speed does not really
give any advantages, other than downloading logger files.

This is tailored for use with our club gliders with LX RedBox
FLARM units and external displays, but it works nicely with any
other FLARM unit as well, as long as they use the standard
RJ45/12 cabling.

I have added into youtube videos or testing of the Bluetooth
module and IOIO extension board for radio disturbances.
Results were good, and tomorrow we will place the order for
PCBs and components. If someone wants one, it's final call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JfWRzj7SNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OaMyLbV7xU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KmiUaDPVro

Old March 22nd 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:19:25 PM UTC-4, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:

Setting up environment for these
settings in not easy, otherwise we would have asked people to
do their own settings.

I'm having that problem, too, with a similar if not the same BT module that takes TTL level UART data. Can't change the baud rate without setting up a level converter.

We will program these to operate on
19200b speed, since I suppose that faster speed does not really
give any advantages, other than downloading logger files.

Intelligent varios can be configured to supply NMEA data at different rates.. 19200 should be sufficient.

That said, without baud rate switching (as Tobias pointed out), you'll run into trouble when connecting this device to something older like the Volkslogger (4800bps normally, but a higher speed for bulk up/downloading). Because the device on the RS232 side is dumb, and the device on the BT end is smart, I'm not sure how one can make this work with the hardware you have.
Old March 22nd 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:19:25 -0700, Kimmo Hytoenen
wrote:

At 14:00 22 March 2012, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
From what I've understood so far, there is one important

[...]

Kimo,

It sounds like a great device. How much does it cost? Sorry if it's
already been posted, I've missed it somehow.

My personal email is

Thanks,
Craig Funston
7Q

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old March 22nd 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 21:30 22 March 2012, David Reitter wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:19:25 PM UTC-4, Kimmo

Hytoenen wrote:

Setting up environment for these=20
settings in not easy, otherwise we would have asked people

to=20
do their own settings.

I'm having that problem, too, with a similar if not the same BT

module
that=
takes TTL level UART data. Can't change the baud rate

without setting up
=
a level converter.

We will program these to operate on=20
19200b speed, since I suppose that faster speed does not

really=20
give any advantages, other than downloading logger files.

Intelligent varios can be configured to supply NMEA data at

different
rates=
.. 19200 should be sufficient.=20

That said, without baud rate switching (as Tobias pointed out),

you'll run
=
into trouble when connecting this device to something older

like the
Volksl=
ogger (4800bps normally, but a higher speed for bulk

up/downloading).
Beca=
use the device on the RS232 side is dumb, and the device on

the BT end is
s=
mart, I'm not sure how one can make this work with the

hardware you have.

David,

SoarTronic Bluetooth module is optimized for use with FLARM.
Important part of it is the use of IGC standard RJ45 connectors,
and possibility to connect Bluetooth and external display in
parallel - no need for switches for declaration and file download.

If you want to change the RS232 baudrate of SoarTronic
Bluetooth module, it is possible using AT commands. However it
cannot be done over Bluetooth, you must connect it to a
computer, and use terminal program.

For Volkslogger, GPS-NAV, and many variometers you can use
similar Bluetooth modules but with Sub-D9 connector. It should
be possible to also draw 5 volts from the serial port of these
devices. You can get one of these Bluetooth modules from
HongKong under 20 EUR, delivered.

Old March 22nd 12, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

wrote:

At 14:00 22 March 2012, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
From what I've understood so far, there is one important

[...]

SoarTronic Bluetooth costs 30 EUR + posting from Finland, and
we are just placing PCB and component orders after successful
EMI tests.

Old March 23rd 12, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

wrote:

At 14:00 22 March 2012, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
From what I've understood so far, there is one important
[...]

I would expect that a modern device like Powerflarm will already come with a builtin bluetooth. Go figure.
I am interested in one unit.

Ramy Yanetz (TG)
Old March 23rd 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Please add one more to your order list.
Thanks,
Craig Funston