Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

Old June 12th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

On 2007-06-11 12:39:10 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

No. Barrel rolls do NOT go negative generally. If you went negative you
would change the roll arc and destroy the roll. You can unload to 0 g
through the top however without destroying the roll arc, but if you do,
you have to reapply positive g almost immediately as you pass through
inverted to regain the roll arc. As I said, you can do a barrel roll at
any positive g; as tight or as little as the flight envelope for the
aircraft will allow up to 90 degrees of flight path direction change at
the roll apex.
Generally the roll profile will be the application of positive g above
+1
from the roll initiation (either from level flight or from a slight dive
offset to gain energy if needed) followed by coordinated roll and back
pressure into the roll arc maintaining positive g with varying back
pressure to maintain the roll arc through the roll and through the
recovery back to the entry heading.
You can NOT at any time during a barrel roll, allow the g to go negative
as doing so will instantly destroy the arc of the roll.
Dudley Henriques

No it won't, and yes you can.

I'm sorry, but you are totally incorrect.
Dudley Henriques

Certainly not. If you think you cannot roll the wings of an aircraft, and
remain in total control of the g loading, you are totally incorrect.

If you want to argue the proper name for this manuver is not a barrel roll,
that's another topic, and I would agree. Many people incorrectly refer to
all rolls as barrel rolls. But then we would just be nit picking, wouldn't
we.

Old June 12th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Maxwell" wrote in
news

On 2007-06-11 12:39:10 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

[...]

Dudley's right, you're wrong,. You're twisting the argument to suit
yourself, changeing the language and rules as you go...

Bertie
Old June 12th 07, 04:13 AM posted to soc.culture.turkish,rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,soc.culture.british
Maxwell

On 2007-06-10 22:41:49 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

That is either untrue, or real misleading. The Blues fly with a different
purpose, keep the aircraft on trajectory. When they are flying a knife
edge,
they are hardly coordinated, as with many other maneuvers.

A 1g barrel roll can be done, but the required trajectory of the aircraft
is
not going to be one that is necessarily eye pleasing for ground
demonstration purposes.

Actually, when the Blues or anyone else is in knife edge, they are indeed
in coordinated flight. You hold the aircraft in knife edge with top rudder
and forward neutral stick; this control pressure combination has to be
perfectly coordinated to maintain knife edge.
You are confusing coordinated with meaning the control pressures must be
complementary which is a common mistake often made.
The first lesson we teach in aerobatics is that "coordinated" has
absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the controls not being crossed.
Actually, any good flight instructor will teach this to a new primary
student during the first hour of dual :-)
Dudley Henriques

Then define coordinated.

Old June 12th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Maxwell" wrote in
:

On 2007-06-10 22:41:49 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

[...]

All controls in the appropriate postion for the desired flight path and
attitude.

Bertie

Old June 12th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Maybe in reality, he's actualy Jerry Lewis..

Naw, JL already has been quasi-reincarnated in the form of Glenn Beck, a
talk show host on US TV (not knowing where you are to recognize that, ya may
be a bonefide Oz Bunyip!) - I expect him to break into fake french gibberish
speak anytime during an interview. d:~))

Old June 12th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-11 12:39:10 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

[...]

Not sure what you mean here as your comment refers to me or what I have
said, but I can assure you that you most certainly CAN roll an airplane
and maintain complete control of the g. If a pilot can't do this, I
would strongly suggest that rolling the airplane not be attempted :-)

If you want to argue the proper name for this manuver is not a barrel roll,
that's another topic, and I would agree. Many people incorrectly refer to
all rolls as barrel rolls. But then we would just be nit picking, wouldn't
we.

Any roll performed by an airplane through 3 dimensional space is a
barrel roll by definition.
Not sure again exactly what you mean by your comment.
DH

Old June 12th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.130...

Dudley's right, you're wrong,. You're twisting the argument to suit
yourself, changeing the language and rules as you go...

No I'm not.
Reference my post from this morning.

Old June 12th 07, 04:36 AM posted to soc.culture.turkish,rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,soc.culture.british
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-10 22:41:49 -0400, "Maxwell" said:

[...]

Surely.
Coordinated as that applies to control pressures while in flight
defines ANY application of controls in ANY DIRECTION where the pressure
applied to each individual control achieves a specific desired
resulting change in the flight path of the aircraft .
A non slipping or skidding ball centered turn entry or exit is a
coordinated control movement. In this case the control pressures
applied are in the same direction and uncrossed.
Conversely, a deliberate slip or a slow roll is also a coordinated
control movement resulting in a specific change and effect in the
flight path of the aircraft. In this case the controls are not applied
in the same direction and are said to be crossed.
Again, crossed controls does NOT mean uncoordinated.
Dudley Henriques

Old June 12th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

[...]

Can you roll the wings of an aircraft 360 and hold 0g? How about 1g? How
about -1g?