Wanted: Transponder antenna

Old November 25th 03, 07:35 PM
Grandpa B.

Default Wanted: Transponder antenna

I'm starting the fabrication of a new boot cowl for the Champ project. The
transponder antenna got wiped off the bottom during the groundloop (no, I
didn't do it!), so I gotta get a new one.

I've seen the 'bargain' version in AS&S for $22 or so. Are they useful, or
should I spend the ~$60 for a decent one?

Anybody have one laying around that they no longer need?

Jon B.

Old November 25th 03, 10:36 PM
David O

"Grandpa B." never.mind wrote:

I'm starting the fabrication of a new boot cowl for the Champ project. The
transponder antenna got wiped off the bottom during the groundloop (no, I
didn't do it!), so I gotta get a new one.

I've seen the 'bargain' version in AS&S for $22 or so. Are they useful, or
should I spend the ~$60 for a decent one?

Anybody have one laying around that they no longer need?

Jon B.

I'll give you one anecdotal data point. I bought the $22 "TED"
transponder antenna from Aircraft Spruce a few years back. It seemed
well constructed and my transponder signal is apparently getting out
as I've had no complaints of dropouts from ATC.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old November 25th 03, 11:34 PM
Paul Lee

There is nothing wrong with the $22 one. Only for fast birds,
you may want an aerodynamic shaped one.
Composite projects can even build the $22 jobs into wings, etc.

Old November 26th 03, 12:01 AM
Rich S.

"Paul Lee" wrote in message
m...
There is nothing wrong with the $22 one. Only for fast birds,
you may want an aerodynamic shaped one.
Composite projects can even build the $22 jobs into wings, etc.

Hey! Don't forget us wood and fabric types. I was going to install mine
under my seat, but then I thought about possible radiation effects on the
family jewels. I mentioned this to my wife who poo-pooed my concern. So I
put it under her seat.

Rich S.

Old November 26th 03, 04:54 AM
David O

"Rich S." wrote:

Hey! Don't forget us wood and fabric types. I was going to install mine
under my seat, but then I thought about possible radiation effects on the
family jewels. I mentioned this to my wife who poo-pooed my concern. So I
put it under her seat.

Rich S.

My transponder antenna is under my Long EZ pilot seat under an
aluminum ground plane disk with aluminum foil glued to the underside
of the seat as added protection for the "jewels". I don't know how
effective the shield is but I'm out of the kid making biz anyway
(hopefully).

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old November 26th 03, 05:05 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

I was going to install mine
under my seat, but then I thought about possible radiation effects on the
family jewels. I mentioned this to my wife who poo-pooed my concern. So I
put it under her seat.

Rich S.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any new additions to the family since?

Barnyard BOb
Old November 26th 03, 05:24 AM
Rich S.

"- Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

I was going to install mine
under my seat, but then I thought about possible radiation effects on the
family jewels. I mentioned this to my wife who poo-pooed my concern. So I
put it under her seat.

Rich S.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any new additions to the family since?

No, but after a long cross-country, I can use her as a night light. ;o)

Rich S.

Old November 26th 03, 05:57 AM
Jerry Springer

And where would you be getting that information from? Don't know many small
single engine airplanes that would meet that requirement.

Jerry

Paul Lee wrote:
AFAIK the tranponder antenna should be 8+ feet away from warm bodies.

"Rich S." wrote in message ...

. com...

Old November 26th 03, 10:57 AM
Rob Turk

"Paul Lee" wrote in message
m...
There is nothing wrong with the $22 one. Only for fast birds,
you may want an aerodynamic shaped one.
Composite projects can even build the $22 jobs into wings, etc.

You may not want to do that. It works for COM but may not work for
transponders. They work on pretty high frequencies (around 1000MHz) and it
doesn't take much to shield such signals. The composit may not be a problem,
but your paint or even wet conditions may stop the signal from getting out.

Rob