Easy and affordable IGC logger

Old April 17th 18, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Easy and affordable IGC logger

Original Nano has nightmarish user interface, row of leds and fiddly microscopic switch that you can also press. Better to get one with display, you at least know if it's up and running without user manual to decode led colors.
Old April 17th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 17 april 2018 13:49:12 UTC+2 schreef Martin Gregorie:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:00:57 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:

On 17/04/2018 08:31, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Since my FLARM doesn't have an SD card slot, I'm looking for an easy to
use IGC logger.

Right now, I can get the EW IGC-logger microRecorder for € 295, which
has built in GPS, antenna, SD card and USB cable in the box.

I have one of these, which has always worked well for me.

It records on a 2GB SD card, which is easy to pop out when you're
downloading the log from it.

Its only drawback as far as I'm concerned is its power switch, which is
of the "always powered pushbutton" type. The problem here is that, during
the winter when the logger is not being used, is that the MicroRecorder
will flatten fully charged batteries in a bit over three months by
watching the switch for the 'turn on' press and, because these are NiMH
chemistry, letting them go flat for any length of time wrecks them.
However:

- All you need do to avoid this problem is to remember to charge the
Microrecorder every couple of months.

- The batteries are a set of four NiMH AA cells kept as a flat package,
with white shrink-wrap plastic and fitted with a connector on the end
of a short cable. They can be replaced without breaking the security
seal and, if you're happy to use a soldering iron, you can make up a
replacement pack rather than buying one from EW.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Would it be a problem to fix the GPS antenna of the EW MicroRecorder next to the FLARM antenna?
Old April 17th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 12:31:32 AM UTC-7, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Since my FLARM doesn't have an SD card slot, I'm looking for an easy to use IGC logger.

Right now, I can get the EW IGC-logger microRecorder for € 295, which has built in GPS, antenna, SD card and USB cable in the box.

An LX Nano (regular nano, no display) is also an option, which is € 399, but is from LXNav, so probably more support available, SD card, wall charger and requires no additional cables.

What would your suggestions be? Do you have experiences with any? All info is welcome, thanks!

Why not just use a Memory Stick in the USB port of your FLARM? If you can't easily get to the USB port you can get a short USB extension cord and either panel mount the port end or set it up to be easily reached after your flight. I did this on my old glider it worked great. The FLARM is an excellent logger.
Old April 17th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 17 april 2018 16:07:03 UTC+2 schreef Dan:
[...]

My FLARM is older and doesn't have an SD card slot yet.
Old April 17th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a Replogle barograph with a fresh pack of pressure sensitive
thingies and camera plus mount that you can have for the cost of
shipping. :-D

On 4/17/2018 3:43 AM, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Op dinsdag 17 april 2018 11:00:59 UTC+2 schreef Nick Hill:
On 17/04/2018 08:31, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Since my FLARM doesn't have an SD card slot, I'm looking for an easy to use IGC logger.

Right now, I can get the EW IGC-logger microRecorder for € 295, which has built in GPS, antenna, SD card and USB cable in the box.

An LX Nano (regular nano, no display) is also an option, which is € 399, but is from LXNav, so probably more support available, SD card, wall charger and requires no additional cables.

What would your suggestions be? Do you have experiences with any? All info is welcome, thanks!

With the Nano the SD card is the internal storage and the recomendation
is you do not remove it to download traces. It is easy to do over USB
or bluetooth with the Nano config app on a phone. The config app also
alows you to configure the parameters, declare tasks etc on the Nano
from your phone.

--

Nick Hill

That would be very handy, is it android/iOS only? Or both?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 17th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 13:53 17 April 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Op dinsdag 17 april 2018 13:49:12 UTC+2 schreef Martin Gregorie:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:00:57 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
=20
On 17/04/2018 08:31, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Since my FLARM doesn't have an SD card slot, I'm looking for an easy

t=
use IGC logger.
=20
Right now, I can get the EW IGC-logger microRecorder for =E2=82=AC

295=
, which
has built in GPS, antenna, SD card and USB cable in the box.

I have one of these, which has always worked well for me.=20
=20
It records on a 2GB SD card, which is easy to pop out when you're=20
downloading the log from it.
=20
Its only drawback as far as I'm concerned is its power switch, which

is=
=20
of the "always powered pushbutton" type. The problem here is that,

during=
=20
the winter when the logger is not being used, is that the

MicroRecorder=
=20
will flatten fully charged batteries in a bit over three months by=20
watching the switch for the 'turn on' press and, because these are

NiMH=
=20
chemistry, letting them go flat for any length of time wrecks them.=20
However:
=20
- All you need do to avoid this problem is to remember to charge the
Microrecorder every couple of months.
=20
- The batteries are a set of four NiMH AA cells kept as a flat package,
with white shrink-wrap plastic and fitted with a connector on the end
of a short cable. They can be replaced without breaking the security
seal and, if you're happy to use a soldering iron, you can make up a
replacement pack rather than buying one from EW.
=20
=20
--=20
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Would it be a problem to fix the GPS antenna of the EW MicroRecorder next
to the FLARM antenna?

It could be. You can get interferance between the two.

In answer to an earlier question, it you put any antenna in your pocket, it
could be masked by your body and inhibit receiving from some directions. A
clear view if the sky is always the ideal.

Old April 17th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 17 avril 2018 16:11:36 UTC+2, Senna Van den Bosch a écritÂ*:
[...]

I have a Flarm 5 without SD card which I use as secondary logger. Flawless.
Old April 17th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 06:53:23 -0700, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

[...]

What Tim said. I modified my battery box lid which, in a Libelle is a
convenient place to mount the Microrecorder and its GPS antenna. Here's a
pictu

https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/lib...ttery_lid.html

The battery box lid is a sandwich of 1.6mm epoxy-glass plate and 3mm
balsa sheet. The GPS antenna is on a 50mm high support: its a V-pylon
made from two pieces of 1.6mm epoxy-glass plate glued at 90 degrees to
each other with another piece of epoxy plate glued on the top. I use
Velcro patches to mount the GPS antenna on the pylon and heavy duty
Velcro patches to hold the Microrecorder in place on the battery box lid.
The enclosed structure to the right of the Microrecorder contains wiring
that powers my panel and the Microrecorder:

- The two SLA 7Ah batteries in the battery box are fitted with short
(150mm, 6") cables and XLR plugs. These go to XLR sockets under the
right edge of the box lid which connect the batteries to the fuses
marked A(vionics) and R(adio). Connections from them go to the XLR
socket (top front) which feeds my panel via a three wire cable.

- A diode connects to each battery to the left-most fuse. This supplies
external power to the Microrecorder via the rocker switch behind the
tiedown bolt and the socket that connects to it.

This arrangement lets the Microrecorder draw from the either or
both batteries depending on which has the most charge. The diodes
prevent the strongest battery from trying the charge the weaker
one.

The rocker switch is needed because of the way the Microrecorder's push-
on - push-off switch works:

- if external power is NOT connected the switch works as you'd expect and
turns the logger on and off

- if external power IS connected, the Microrecorder is automatically
powered on and running. It will automatically top up its internal
battery from the external power if needed.

If you disconnect the external power the Microrecorder will continue to
run until you turn it off using its power switch.

This is both a blessing and a curse. The good point is that the
Microrecorder will have a complete log of your flight even if your
electrical system has a total failure. The downside is that, if you land,
derig, put the glider away and drive off home without turning the
Microrecorder off, it will still be running and will continue to do so
until either you notice and turn it off or its battery goes flat.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 17th 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 07:11:33 -0700, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

My FLARM is older and doesn't have an SD card slot yet.

If you have an LX Red Box I think its worth getting an SD card reader
(and installing it in your panel if you have the space). Quite apart frpom
using the FLARM as a logger, the other two reasons for doing this a

- it makes the mandatory annual firmware upgrade a lot easier

- FLARM logs can be downloaded and submitted to the FLARM website in
order to see how good the coverage round your glider is, and maybe
find a better position for the FLARM antenna if the coverage is only
short range or has a poor pattern.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old April 17th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 8:45:26 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Original Nano has nightmarish user interface, row of leds and fiddly microscopic switch that you can also press. Better to get one with display, you at least know if it's up and running without user manual to decode led colors.

I have to disagree. I turn the Nano on, make sure it has 2 blinking green lights, and I'm done until I turn it off at the end of the flight.

It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Lou

A path to an affordable trainer? Wallace Berry[_2_] Soaring 13 August 3rd 13 04:43 PM
Looking for an affordable glider.... xTrainwrecKx Soaring 4 August 17th 11 12:03 PM
Looking for an affordable glider.... xTrainwrecKx Soaring 1 August 9th 11 05:07 PM
Affordable Glider K Smith Soaring 20 July 23rd 09 07:13 AM
Affordable planes Tom Home Built 4 November 6th 08 09:59 PM