An aeroplane that can stand still in air

Old January 6th 04, 08:13 AM
Chandresh Prakash

Default An aeroplane that can stand still in air

Hi,
Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?
I used to think that SU - 30 could do it. Is that true ?
I found no evidence on a google web/groups search.

Thanks,
Chandresh
Old January 6th 04, 08:43 AM
David Bromage

Chandresh Prakash wrote:
Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?

The Osprey.

Cheers
David

Old January 6th 04, 09:09 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Chandresh Prakash" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?

Harrier/AV8

I used to think that SU - 30 could do it. Is that true ?

No

Keith

Old January 6th 04, 11:15 AM
Cub Driver

Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?

Sure. I saw a Storch hover over the runway at Pease, at an airshow two
or three years ago. Of course there was a NW wind.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 6th 04, 05:54 PM
Jarg

I saw this airplane hover in place at an airshow at Moffet Field:

http://www.worldairshownews.com/WAN/...n98/raven.html

I read that it crashed a few weeks later.

Jarg

Old January 6th 04, 07:54 PM
robert arndt

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Chandresh Prakash" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
Is there an aeroplane that can stand still in mid-air ?

Harrier/AV8

I used to think that SU - 30 could do it. Is that true ?

No

Keith

As usual, Keith tries to speak as an authority and is dead wrong as
usual. I have a demonstrator video of a Su-35 stopped in mid-air
(briefly) during a difficult manouver and there are plenty of others
who have seen the Su-37 do it too.

Rob
Old January 6th 04, 08:07 PM
Keith Willshaw

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...

As usual, Keith tries to speak as an authority and is dead wrong as
usual. I have a demonstrator video of a Su-35 stopped in mid-air
(briefly) during a difficult manouver and there are plenty of others
who have seen the Su-37 do it too.

Rob

Any aircraft which does a stall turn stops momentarily

Try holding that position for 30 seconds though

Keith