O2 System

Old August 31st 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default O2 System

I need to purchase an oxygen system for an ASW27 (licensed in the Standard Category if that matters). Of course I will probably go with a Mountain High system so my main question is about the tank and the plumbing. My last system on my last ship used a huge steel bottle that was so big it would last a season or two. I see no reason to go with such a large tank again and when talking to the US suppliers there has been some discrepancy as to what size tank fits a 27. Also, is there any advantage to a composite bottle?
Thanks
Old August 31st 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Aug 31, 9:53*am, K wrote:
I need to purchase an oxygen system for an ASW27 (licensed in the Standard Category if that matters). Of course I will probably go with a Mountain High system so my main question is about the tank and the plumbing. My last system on my last ship used a huge steel bottle that was so big it would last a season or two. I see no reason to go with such a large tank again and when talking to the US suppliers there has been some discrepancy as to what size tank fits a 27. Also, is there any advantage to a composite bottle?
Thanks

I would start with the glider flight manual or maintenance manual.
It's all right there, location and dimensions for O2 bottle. The
Germans put all the relevant information right where you would expect
to find it.
Old August 31st 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

the typical D or E aluminum cylinders do not fit ASW19-ASW29, same goes for
most DG and LS gliders the older steel bottles do fit as they are a couple
silly mm smaller OD since they are made to accept the smaller European
cylinders, (the European cylinders BTW are not legal in the USA or cannot
legally be filled in the USA since they do not incorporate the blow out
feature required by US, there are also some composite cylinders in/near
this size that will also fit, you just have to select one closer(or smaller)
to the D and E size listed on my website.
I also do have a NEW complete EDS system being sold as used on my website
since it was sold to an end user but not used, still complete as sold new
for substantial savings, see http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm for
description and pictures.
BTW, all typical sailplane oxygen systems are "portable" so these do not
have to meet any specific FAA TSO or other requirements that would apply to
a 'built in" system.
tim

Old August 31st 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 31, 7:53*am, K wrote:
I need to purchase an oxygen system for an ASW27

Ask John Murray about cylinders. He has sold me 2 steel cylinders for
my 28, both at what I thought was a reasonable price.

Why 2? Because they are small and it's easier to swap to a full
cylinder than carry my Q cylinder to refill.

Andy GY

Old August 31st 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 31, 2012 10:01:19 AM UTC-6, Tim Mara wrote:
[...]

If the used system you have will fit my application I can take it off your hands

GPS system seb Soaring 5 December 10th 10 11:15 PM
System Operation of Aircraft System [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 October 12th 07 06:50 AM
Anywhere Map System abg Aviation Marketplace 0 May 15th 05 07:01 PM
S-Tec System 20/30 Versus System 40/50 Marco Leon Piloting 3 November 9th 04 04:15 PM
GPS Anywhere Map system available at abg Aviation Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 09:34 PM