Cambridge Model 20 to OLC

Old June 11th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge Model 20 to OLC

What do I need to do the get a valid IGC file posted to OLC? I am using
the utilities to convert the downloaded "cai" file to "igc". Doing so
the security checks are good. When posting to OLC, OLC checks the file
assuming it came from a Cambridge 302 (I am using a Model 20) and fails
the security check. Can someone tell me if they have been able to get a
model 20 posting to OLC. Thanks!

Output of validation

123
FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.28 (Build 2028) [Dec 09 2002 21:55:55]
- InitDisk
C: HD1 Pri:1 CHS= 0-1-1 start = 0MB,size = 392
D:643.TMPvalicam2 66ac0tt1.igc out.txt
ValiCam for the 302 Version 1.0.0
Checking File:66ac0tt1.igc ...
Log Data Integrity Fail
Signature Data Integrity Fail
Security Fail
D:643.TMPvali-cam 66ac0tt1.igc out.txt
Cambridge Aero Instruments Flight Log Validation ---- v1.04
File 66AC0TT1.IGC is not a valid CAI log file
D:643.TMPigc2cai 66ac0tt1.igc out.cai
D:643.TMPvali-cam out.cai out.txt
Cambridge Aero Instruments Flight Log Validation ---- v1.04
File OUT.CAI is not a valid CAI log file
D:643.TMPconv-cam -n66ac0tt1.igc out.cai org
CONV-CAM Version 2.0.2 IGC File Creation
Path for CAI files:
Path for IGC files: org
OUT.CAI is not a valid CAI file.
D:643.TMPecho '' out.txt
Old June 11th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bubba wrote:
[...]

Several problems here, "valicam2" is for 302 files only,
just use vali-cam. Run it only on the .cai file, that's
the only place it works. Don't try to change names of files,
"out.cai" is never going to pass security, even if it was
otherwise valid. Don't try redirecting output to a file,
that's not how the utilities work.

Without using commercial software, basic steps a

download .cai file
vali-cam xxxxxxxx.cai
conv-cam xxxxxxxx.cai
igc2cai xxxxxxxx.cai xxxxxxxx.igc

This is written up in more detail in the FAQ-help section on the OLC.

Might want to put these into a script to automate the process.

-Dave

Old June 11th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

David Kinsell wrote:
Bubba wrote:
[...]

oops, should be cai2igc xxxxxxxx.cai xxxxxxxx.igc

This overwrites your phoney igc file with an even phonier
version. I wouldn't try turning the resulting abomination
in for a badge or record claim, just send the .cai file.

-Dave

Old June 11th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bubba wrote:
[...]

The cheapest, easiest way to do it if you are using windows is he
http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm

Its a simple little utility that does everything for you except
downloading the .cai file from the logger and actually posting to the OLC.

-Dave
Old June 11th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

David Leonard wrote:
Bubba wrote:
[...]

My process is:
1) Download cai file
2) run the utility given in your link. All the security checks are good
and the igc file is ceated.
3) I post the newly created igc file to OLC and they run their checker
against it and it fails when OLC checks it. (see above)

Old June 22nd 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some Model 20s, mine included, have a memory boundary problem internally
that causes a dropped byte (8 bits) or 1 character at the boundary location.
The result is one bad record written to the cai file and the resulting igc
file. The OLC software will not tolerate this. I have had it manually
corrected by the OLC administrator, however, to do this every time is a bit
much to ask.

I have gone no further on the problem. It is a software bug and a known
problem to Cambridge but I have not approached them for a solution. There
has been the suggestion of removing all of the log files from the unit each
time and perhaps the memory boundary will not be reached. I will try this
out in the next few weeks and post an evaluation.

I welcome any other suggestions. The model 20 works fine for everyone else.

Regards, Steve Eddy (E4)

om...

Old June 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Steve Eddy wrote:
Some Model 20s, mine included, have a memory boundary problem internally
that causes a dropped byte (8 bits) or 1 character at the boundary location.
The result is one bad record written to the cai file and the resulting igc
file. The OLC software will not tolerate this. I have had it manually
corrected by the OLC administrator, however, to do this every time is a bit
much to ask.

I have gone no further on the problem. It is a software bug and a known
problem to Cambridge but I have not approached them for a solution. There
has been the suggestion of removing all of the log files from the unit each
time and perhaps the memory boundary will not be reached. I will try this
out in the next few weeks and post an evaluation.

I welcome any other suggestions. The model 20 works fine for everyone else.

Regards, Steve Eddy (E4)

Steve,

I posted a note earlier on this forum regarding a similar (the same?)
problem. The recognizable symptom in the output B Records I've seen is
that the date/time stamp is corrupted such that the record falls out of
seqeunce. Is this the same thing you are seeing, or is it something
else?

Regards,

Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3