A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bailout and survival kit

Old May 13th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:36:40 PM UTC-5, CindyB wrote:
If you would like some added perspective on these topics, tune in he

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...0?source=r.a.s.

It begins at 7pm cdt , in about an hour and a half. Free.
Good for Wings Program credit if you use same email account for faa and this registration.

Some recounts from folks who've done this stuff for real, landout, hostile place, S&R involved.

Or, login, listen, and post all your gripes about it back here later. Your choice.

Cindy B

My presentation will be about my research into, and comparisons of, the different types of emergency location devices. I will also talk about what you might want to carry on your person during a bail out.

Full disclosure that I have never had a bail out, been involved in a search and rescue event, nor landed out in any experience worse than a soft farmer's field and a quick retrieve. I've been lucky thus far. But I was a boy scout so I want to "be prepared".

Hope you can attend.

- John DeRosa OHM Ω

Old May 13th 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Any comments on static lines?

My S-H glider has an in cockpit attachment point for a static line.

I am interested in comments on bailing out in am emergency.
Not as interested in the captain obvious comments like "you could accidentally open your chute after a normal landing getting out of your glider". That is implicit and obvious.

Thoughts on actual emergency bailouts, static line versus regular D handle?
Old May 13th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 3:03:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Here's why I don't recommend a compass:

1) Most people have no idea how to properly navigate in the backcountry by compass. You need to know how to shoot bearings, triangulate, understand contour lines, measure distance, etc. Without prior orienteering experience, a compass isn't very useful.

2) A compass should really be used with a particular type of map, such as a USG map with 1:24000 scale and 100ft contour lines. You'll also want a pencil and an altimeter is very helpful too. Given the possible range of soaring flights, you'd need to carr a bunch of maps in your bailout kit. Then, you'd need to change out your map collection whenever you fly at a new location.

3) Even if you have the necessary maps and skills, GPS works sooooooo much better than a mechanical compass.

4) I'm pretty well covered by my other devices. In fact, my Garmin InReach has a compass. Even without GPS signal, it provides a working compass, barometric altimeter, and topo maps. My phone also has GPS, compass, and topo maps. I also have an inclinometer app that I use to evaluate avalanche risk. Don't feel comfortable with only two navigation devices? Get a Garmin watch!

Anyways, my advice is to have at least two navigation devices. These should be fast, accurate, and easy to use, which rules out a magnetic compass for most people.

All of those things are fine nav aids - when they work. Batteries die and canyons and trees block GPS reception. A magnetic compass WILL work virtually all of the time. Maps can be carried electronically in a smart phone or a tablet. I like backups if the **** hits the fan. As with anything, practice is highly recommended BEFORE your life depends upon it.

Tom
Old May 13th 20, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 9:06:29 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Any comments on static lines?

My S-H glider has an in cockpit attachment point for a static line.

I am interested in comments on bailing out in am emergency.
Not as interested in the captain obvious comments like "you could accidentally open your chute after a normal landing getting out of your glider". That is implicit and obvious.

Thoughts on actual emergency bailouts, static line versus regular D handle?

It is a good idea, it will be much faster. No one in the US, including me, knows much about them. Talk to the manufacturer both glider and parachute and your rigger there is more than one way to attach the static line. The only thing I would caution is when you review bailout procedures plan to pull the ripcord yourself, just in case you didn't clip on the static line on the day you need it. If it is hooked up it will be open before you have your head together.
Old May 13th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

FYI - The presentation from last night's SSA Webinar "Emergency Locator Devices & Other Safety Equipment" is available at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen...cation_devices.

In the near future the recording of the webinar will be available at https://www.ssa.org/Webinars. The recording adds much to the dry presentation by showcasing the real-world comments from David Lessnick's landout experiences using several emergency location devices.

- John DeRosa OHM Ω
Old May 13th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 3:03:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Here's why I don't recommend a compass:

1) Most people have no idea how to properly navigate in the backcountry by compass. You need to know how to shoot bearings, triangulate, understand contour lines, measure distance, etc. Without prior orienteering experience, a compass isn't very useful.

2) A compass should really be used with a particular type of map, such as a USG map with 1:24000 scale and 100ft contour lines. You'll also want a pencil and an altimeter is very helpful too. Given the possible range of soaring flights, you'd need to carr a bunch of maps in your bailout kit. Then, you'd need to change out your map collection whenever you fly at a new location.

3) Even if you have the necessary maps and skills, GPS works sooooooo much better than a mechanical compass.

4) I'm pretty well covered by my other devices. In fact, my Garmin InReach has a compass. Even without GPS signal, it provides a working compass, barometric altimeter, and topo maps. My phone also has GPS, compass, and topo maps. I also have an inclinometer app that I use to evaluate avalanche risk. Don't feel comfortable with only two navigation devices? Get a Garmin watch!

Anyways, my advice is to have at least two navigation devices. These should be fast, accurate, and easy to use, which rules out a magnetic compass for most people.

All of those things are fine nav aids - when they work. Batteries die and canyons and trees block GPS reception. A magnetic compass WILL work virtually all of the time. Maps can be carried electronically in a smart phone or a tablet. I like backups if the **** hits the fan. As with anything, practice is highly recommended BEFORE your life depends upon it.

Tom

One should make your sight picture as large as possible (spread out chute) and stay with the aircraft unless you have a great idea or need. If you are going to move, generally you follow drainage so a compass doesn't mean ****. I have one on my paracord bracelet, doubt I would ever use it. The only time I have ever used one in a glider was to figure runway direction from a vertical card compass. If you are in flat land a compass would be darn handy though.
Old May 14th 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 8:09:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I attended Dave Nadler's presentation at the 2020 SSA Convention about his bailout in Utah and its aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0&t=3s

It got me thinking about my own preparedness, and I have to admit that I am not carrying enough on my person if I ever "have to go for help." (As our ex-Air Force airport manager describes a bailout.)

I've been thinking about fishing/photographers vests with a lot of pockets, but the parachute and seat belt harness straps interfere with comfort and safety. Small kits like the SMAK PAK are a good start, but I'd like to carry more stuff, like a hat, spare glasses, water etc. I am thinking of an Air Force type flight suit with leg pockets, at the risk of being called a fighter jock wannabe.

Possibly a thin pocketed backpack that could fit between the 'chute and your body, if it could be made comfortable and not interfere with the seating position in the glider would work. But what to put in it and how to you pack it to avoid lumps and stuff digging into your kidneys?

Any ideas or suggestions? What works for you?

Long ago, I attended an AOPA "after the crash" seminar. As a result of that seminar, I purchased a fly fishing vest for xc flights. It's cotton, short-waisted (more comfy for sitting) and has loads of pockets. More recently, the Dan Bass interview on General Aviation newstalk emphasized to me that anything that is not physically attached to your body at the time of crash/bailout/whatever, will never be found again. I also bought a garmin in-reach (which I have yet to activate since i havent planned any xc flights so far in this season).

To be fair, I havent tested my vest under my bailout chute, but it should fit.
Old May 18th 20, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Also, don't forget spare glasses! Odds are pretty good that I'd lose my glasses during a bail out and I'm pretty handicapped without them. I actually just added disposable contacts to my bail out kit because they're a lot smaller than my spare glasses.
Old May 18th 20, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I always fly with spare bail-out reading specs in a zipped pocket. Very narrow ones that fit in a hard case not much bigger than a fountain pen. Without specs nowadays I wouldn't be able to text, or work my mobile or InReach.
Old May 19th 20, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 8:08:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 8:09:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I attended Dave Nadler's presentation at the 2020 SSA Convention about his bailout in Utah and its aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0&t=3s

It got me thinking about my own preparedness, and I have to admit that I am not carrying enough on my person if I ever "have to go for help." (As our ex-Air Force airport manager describes a bailout.)

I've been thinking about fishing/photographers vests with a lot of pockets, but the parachute and seat belt harness straps interfere with comfort and safety. Small kits like the SMAK PAK are a good start, but I'd like to carry more stuff, like a hat, spare glasses, water etc. I am thinking of an Air Force type flight suit with leg pockets, at the risk of being called a fighter jock wannabe.

Possibly a thin pocketed backpack that could fit between the 'chute and your body, if it could be made comfortable and not interfere with the seating position in the glider would work. But what to put in it and how to you pack it to avoid lumps and stuff digging into your kidneys?

Any ideas or suggestions? What works for you?

Long ago, I attended an AOPA "after the crash" seminar. As a result of that seminar, I purchased a fly fishing vest for xc flights. It's cotton, short-waisted (more comfy for sitting) and has loads of pockets. More recently, the Dan Bass interview on General Aviation newstalk emphasized to me that anything that is not physically attached to your body at the time of crash/bailout/whatever, will never be found again. I also bought a garmin in-reach (which I have yet to activate since i havent planned any xc flights so far in this season).

To be fair, I havent tested my vest under my bailout chute, but it should fit.

A better option is an aviation flight suit.