L-Nav v 5.8 EPROM

Old July 2nd 20, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default L-Nav v 5.8 EPROM

So, anyone have a source for those unicorns? I have several 5.7, but like the display options for 5.8 a LOT more. I recall asking dealers some years ago, and was told that I had bought all available from the dealers I spoke with. Wondering if there might be a way to get older ones re-programmed to 5.8 status.

Thank you!

Steve Leonard
Cambridge Dinosaur Keeper
Old July 2nd 20, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I understand that you can still get vacuum tubes for early Fender guitar amplifiers from Russia. Try them. They may be able to supply bronze swords and flintlocks in case you have a need for those also.

Old July 2nd 20, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have s/n 1380A............believe it was one of the last ones made. Don’t know the version no.
JJ
Old July 2nd 20, 10:50 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leonard[_2_] View Post
So, anyone have a source for those unicorns? I have several 5.7, but like the display options for 5.8 a LOT more. I recall asking dealers some years ago, and was told that I had bought all available from the dealers I spoke with. Wondering if there might be a way to get older ones re-programmed to 5.8 status.

Thank you!

Steve Leonard
Cambridge Dinosaur Keeper
Hi Steve

I had the same question a few years back and a friend who is an electronics whizz offered to reprogram my L-Nav from 5.7 to 5.8.

Apparently all he had to do was read a 5.8 eprom and then flash mine to upgrade it. I didn't go ahead only because It meant removing the eprom from the other L-Nav and there was a very minor risk of breakage in doing so. Since I had taken the 5.8 L-Nav to my friend to get it repaired (malfunctioning button) for a fellow pilot I wasn't prepared to go there.

If I owned another 5.8 L-Nav I'd give it a crack in a heart beat.

:-) Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : July 2nd 20 at 10:53 PM.
Old July 3rd 20, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It shouldn't be a problem if you can find the executable firmware and an
EPROM programmer.Â* It would also help to find someone who knows how to
use the equipment.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 3rd 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Steve,
I powered up my L-Nav and the home page showed the version, but I forgot what it was? Sorry!
I took a picture with power on, but I can’t remember how to find it in my phone?
You could ask my babysitter, but I’ve forgotten her name, Patricia, maybe?
The doctor told me to start thinking about not driving anymore............told him that was a big relief, Doc, I was afraid you were going to tell me to stop flying!
JJ..........turning 86 next month!
Old July 4th 20, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Locating a hidden batch of NOS of the desired EPROM version seems highly unlikely. Did you check with Gary Kammerer who supports Cambridge products?

If not the only choice seems to be to find someone with an L-NAV with V5.8 and;

1) Buy it.
2) Borrow it, remove the EPROM, and find out how to make copies of it. Not really a do-it-yourself kind of activity but there are services on the web that will make the copies for you. FYI when shipping the EPROM wrap it in tin foil to protect it from static damage.

Best of luck.
Old July 6th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Steve shared a few pics of his vintage eproms. These are 27c512 uv eraseable. Programmer is about 20 bucks give or take and fairly straightforward to use if you're any good with Chinese to English translations.
Old July 6th 20, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Here is a how to web page on copying EPROMS.

The 27C512 chips are cheap on eBay but I don't see any $20 programmers. More like $60. Might try BangGood.com.
Old July 6th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Missing how-to link.

https://www.advin.com/howto-program-EPROM.htm