Dittel KRT2 disfunction

Old August 24th 16, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
okko kloosterman

Default Dittel KRT2 disfunction

Last week, after a few months of proper functioning, the new KRT2 radio
I have installed this spring suddenly stopped transmitting. Pressing the
PTT button makes it send a carrier wave, but without any modulation. The
receiving section is OK, though.
Anyone run into the same problem? Any hints about the probable cause?
Thanks, Okko (Netherlands)
Old August 24th 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:45:09 +0200, okko kloosterman wrote:

Last week, after a few months of proper functioning, the new KRT2 radio
I have installed this spring suddenly stopped transmitting. Pressing the
PTT button makes it send a carrier wave, but without any modulation. The
receiving section is OK, though.
Anyone run into the same problem? Any hints about the probable cause?
Thanks, Okko (Netherlands)

My then-new KRT2 did that when I first installed it in my glider, back in
early 2015. It went back to Germany on warranty and has been fine ever
since.

The problem seemed to be internal, somewhere between the microphone
amplifier and the RF section of the transmitter. I say this because the
unmodulated CW was quite strong and, when the radio was in MIC Setup
mode, I could see the signal level bar responding to speaking at or
tapping the microphone.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 25th 16, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My 2013 model now transmits a squeal when the PTT pressed. It transmits voice OK but sends squeal in all the silences. Swapping radio and aerial between it and an Icom confirms that it isn't caused by the glider aerial, microphone or wiring and seems to be internal.

Old August 25th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
okko kloosterman

Thank you Martin, for your information.
I think I'll have my device sent back tot the manufacturer for repair,
it's less than 8 months old, so still under warranty. Bur first I will
check the microphone setup, as you described.
Okko

Old August 25th 16, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 15:49:14 +0200, okko kloosterman wrote:

Thank you Martin, for your information.
I think I'll have my device sent back tot the manufacturer for repair,
it's less than 8 months old, so still under warranty. Bur first I will
check the microphone setup, as you described.
Okko

Sounds like the right sequence to me. I'd reinstalled the ATR-500 that
the KRT2 replaced because I didn't know how long the repair might take.
So, I was pleasantly surprised to get the radio back much faster than I
expected because it went back to Dittel via the UK agent.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 28th 16, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
okko kloosterman

Today, I tried again and switched the radio on to have a look at the
microphone setup page. To my surprise the transmission was functioning
normally, as if there hadn't been any problem at all...
Most probably it has been a software issue, simply solved by a
restart/reset of the radio. One should think of that when using
computer-driven devices ;-)

Okko (never to old to learn)

Old July 8th 20, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Op woensdag 24 augustus 2016 21:45:40 UTC+2 schreef okko kloosterman:
Last week, after a few months of proper functioning, the new KRT2 radio
I have installed this spring suddenly stopped transmitting. Pressing the
PTT button makes it send a carrier wave, but without any modulation. The
receiving section is OK, though.
Anyone run into the same problem? Any hints about the probable cause?
Thanks, Okko (Netherlands)

We have the same. Ans some club members experience this problem too. Before transmitting, we switch the radio off and on again. Then the radio transmits again for a while. De KRT2 2nd edition seems not to have this problem.
Old July 9th 20, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

To add to this thread I am helping a friend with exactly the same issue.

Carrier is strong but without audio. I replaced the mic but without effect. No signal shown in the mic setup screen.

Anyone know of a US repair shop?
Old July 9th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

John
Last year my Dittel had a similar no transmit problem.
I downloaded the user manual available online and fixed it in the troubleshooting chapter.
Do you have the manual?
Nick