Aveo Gliderburst - Maximini

Old August 19th 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

Default Aveo Gliderburst - Maximini

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 4:25:51 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.aveoengineering.com/gliderburst/

http://www.aveoengineering.com/redbaron-maximini/

You might want to try a 44 magnum as it has more hole making potential than the 45.
Old August 19th 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 9:57:50 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10:01:44 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Those look pretty neat, but wouldn't the wires to power the lights
duct taped to the wing increase drag a bit? ;-)

You are taking the wrong approach, Dan. Since power tools and your wings give you the shudders, let's take an approach that you are more comfortable with.

Using your .45, line the barrel up perpendicular to the root rib, parallel to the spar centerline. Fire. You now have a clear path root to tip inside the wing to route the wires. Stand wing on end, use fishing line and sinkers to place your "wire pull through cord" through the holes. This is the fun part where you get to be nearly 30 feet in the air to be able to lower the line and sinkers through the wing. Set wing back down on saw horses, and pull wires through wing. Note: Once the wires are in place, you will need to seal the ends of the ballast tanks in the LAK. If you had bought a ship with water bags instead of tanks, you could have skipped this step.

You will probably want to buy two sets of lights and install connectors so you can have the lights on either the 15 or 18 meter tips. I don't recall if the LAK 18 meter tips have a dihedral joint in them. If they do, it will require two shots from the .45 and a little duct tape near the corner.

:-) You are welcome.

Steve

All of you- get back to work!
LOL
UH
Old August 19th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 5:25:51 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.aveoengineering.com/gliderburst/

http://www.aveoengineering.com/redbaron-maximini/

When at the Logan Ridge Flying Clinic, I saw a new glider with a factory-mounted strobe light in the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. I was a distance away when an irregular flashing caught my attention. So, I went over to see what it was. It was a strobe light mounted flush and streamlined. Very cool.
Old August 20th 15, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 2:35:41 PM UTC-4, lynn wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 4:25:51 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.aveoengineering.com/gliderburst/

http://www.aveoengineering.com/redbaron-maximini/

You might want to try a 44 magnum as it has more hole making potential than the 45.

ROTFLMAO......... +1 for you....
Old August 20th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

All of you- get back to work!
LOL
UH

Here I am polishing, and YOU'RE replying to RAS....... tisk tisk.....

;-)

Thought you were "working"...... LOL....

[Thanks for the work BTW....]

Old August 20th 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I saw the same thing on an ASH-31 mi at Moriarty. Apparently it's a
factory option. And a good idea, to boot!

--
Dan Marotta

Old August 20th 15, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 05:21:36 UTC+2, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Schleicher has been offering this option. Coupled with a LX device the strobe activates when a flarm target is seen.

Will it only flash when another FLARM unit is nearby or will it also work with ADS-B and Mode-C/S traffic?
I'd want those strobes to work over time if there is a military or commercial flight closing in rapidly.
Old August 20th 15, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, August 20, 2015 at 12:30:07 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:

Will it only flash when another FLARM unit is nearby or will it also work with ADS-B and Mode-C/S traffic?

If you factor out the potential to annoy other pilots, there is little reason to not have the strobe flashing for the entire flight. By my reckoning a four hour flight would consume 2.25 AH That said, it might make sense to turn it off in a gaggle and have it turn back on with a Flarm alert, but outside of a gaggle it could run continuously (especially while flying ridge or in a cloudstreet).

RedBaron MiniMaxi Specifications

Power - strobe (Watts): 6.6 W (33 W peak)
Current - strobe (@12V): 0.56 A (2.77 A peak)
Repetition Rate of Strobe: 50 cycles per minute

The flashes project in a hemisphere of directions.

I've noticed that the strobe makes it easier to find the towplane at a distance when scanning. (I like to know where the towplane is headed when I'm doing my initial 'climb out' near the airport.)

I also seem to notice the strobe in my peripheral vision when the tow plane is quite close and before I see it with my scan. The strobe 'draws the eye'. I find it easy to completely ignore the towplane strobe while I'm on tow.

On one occasion I shared a short ridge with several other gliders. One of the gliders had wingtip strobes and it really made a difference.

Old August 20th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

The strobe on the Schleicher glider's is a strip about 18-24 inches long with multiple LED lights, Very bright and a great safety option. It is part of the leading edge of the vertical fin, so there is no aerodynamic penalty. It is popular option but still some chose to order without the strobe.