First time FBO meltdown

Old October 26th 04, 09:03 PM
Jack Allison

Default First time FBO meltdown

For just over two years, I've had a great FBO. The operative word here
is "had". Suddenly, they've fallen off the face of the earth. :-(
It's sounding like they've closed shop. A real shame as they used to be
a great FBO and always treated their students and renters extremely well.

For the past month or so, I've been trying to get return phone calls or
e-mail on a variety of inquiries. Uncharacteristically, I received very
little in the way of replies. I could still schedule a plane though. A
month ago, I planned a short x-c flight but couldn't go because the
plane wouldn't start. Looking at the aircraft log, the plane hadn't
flown for two weeks. That was my first clue. It got worse this last
Sunday when I went to the airport and the plane wasn't on the ramp.
Fortunately, one of the A&Ps at the local shop was there and I got some
info. and and have since been in touch with a couple of the CFIs.

Just when I was thinking of starting my instrument lessons. There is
another FBO on the field and I may go with them. The only problem is
that they don't rent beyond their students. That and it would cost me
another $30/hr. over what I used to pay (plane and instructor). There
are other options at a different airport so I still have some things to
consider before making a decision. Wah...I want my own plane...or at
least my own share of a plane. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, Wanna-be IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old October 26th 04, 10:30 PM
Roger Long

Move to beautiful Portland, Maine and we'll fix you right up

http://www.baldeagleflyingclub.org/

--

Roger Long

Old October 27th 04, 12:57 AM
C J Campbell

"Jack Allison" wrote in message

Just when I was thinking of starting my instrument lessons. There is
another FBO on the field and I may go with them. The only problem is
that they don't rent beyond their students. That and it would cost me
another $30/hr. over what I used to pay (plane and instructor).

Gee, maybe your old FBO couldn't afford to lose money on every flight and
try to make it up on volume.

Old October 27th 04, 01:17 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
For just over two years, I've had a great FBO. The operative word here is
"had". Suddenly, they've fallen off the face of the earth. :-( It's
sounding like they've closed shop. A real shame as they used to be a
great FBO and always treated their students and renters extremely well.

Jack,

That is a shame!

I hope you can search out a suitable (ie affordable) alternative.

Jay

Old October 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Dave S

Yea.. CJ.. the defunct FBO must have been using the "Airline" business
model and selling the product for less than it cost. I'd rather pay more
$$ an hour and know that the aircraft is better maintained, looks
cleaner, flies better and wont leave you hanging when you need it.

Dave

Old October 27th 04, 04:59 AM
BTIZ

another FBO on the field and I may go with them. The only problem is that
they don't rent beyond their students. That and it would cost me

So once they train a student and he has a rating.. if he is not taking
lessons towards additional ratings they won't rent to him?

mmmm.. I thought part of the "training" marketing strategy was to build a
client renter pilot base..

BT

Old October 27th 04, 07:14 AM
NW_PILOT

"BTIZ" wrote in message
another FBO on the field and I may go with them. The only problem is

that
they don't rent beyond their students. That and it would cost me

So once they train a student and he has a rating.. if he is not taking
lessons towards additional ratings they won't rent to him?

mmmm.. I thought part of the "training" marketing strategy was to build a
client renter pilot base..

BT

That's the way I understand it to BTIZ. There are to many crooks out there
one of them is Columbia Flight Center in Troutdale OR it's been a year now
and still no solo photos very sad customer service they have. I don't see
them being around much longer and will not recommend anyone to them because
they put profits over customer service.

My flight instructor left them because of their business practices so have a
few others no one will take their airplane in for an oil change because they
like to order parts that you don't want or need or authorize to be ordered
then try and hold your airplane for ransom when you don't pay for the parts
you did not authorize to be ordered this happened to my flight instructor he
had to get the sheriff to get his airplane out of the hanger. The owner
threatened to burn his log books.

Old October 27th 04, 02:29 PM
Mike B

The FBO where I started my training won't rent to anyone for any extended
duration - by which I mean they will only rent to you for four or five hours
max. Definitely no overnight trips...

I wound up joining a club on the airfield. The plane rents for cheaper (even
after I factor in the monthly dues) and is in much better condition.

Old October 27th 04, 05:49 PM
Robert M. Gary

[...]

Are you by chance flying out of Lincoln, CA?
Old October 27th 04, 05:50 PM
Robert M. Gary

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:n2Ffd.44290$bk1.44010@fed1read05...
another FBO on the field and I may go with them. The only problem is that
they don't rent beyond their students. That and it would cost me

So once they train a student and he has a rating.. if he is not taking
lessons towards additional ratings they won't rent to him?

mmmm.. I thought part of the "training" marketing strategy was to build a
client renter pilot base..

We have an operation like that in Lincoln, CA (Atkin Air). They are
mostly focused on charter operations but they tolerate student flying
as a side business. They will not rent after training though.

-Robert