Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

Old May 2nd 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90982

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Gov. Jim Gibbons intends to bill the widow of
missing multimillionaire adventurer Steve Fossett for $687,000 the state
spent in searching for the famed aviator last fall, a spokesman said.

Gibbons spokesman Ben Kieckhefer told the Las Vegas Review-Journal it
was his understanding that the governor will bill Peggy Fossett for
costs of the unsuccessful search.

Fossett, 63, took off Sept. 3 from Barron Hilton's Flying M Ranch, south
of Yerington, in a small plane on what was supposed to be a short
pleasure flight.

During a monthlong search, ground crews, the Nevada National Guard and
the Civil Air Patrol scoured a 20,000 square-mile area, but turned up no
sign of Fossett or his plane.

Hilton, the hotel magnate, later voluntarily sent the state a check
$200,000 to cover some of the search costs.

Fossett was declared legally dead Feb. 15 by an Illinois judge. In
making that determination, Cook County Circuit Court Judge Jeffery Malak
said Fossett left a "vast," eight-figure estate.

Billing someone for the costs of a search is unusual.

On Tuesday, before Kieckhefer revealed the governor's plans, state
Emergency Management Director Frank Siracusa said state and local
government search and rescue workers have a long-standing tradition of
not charging when they hunt for missing persons, even for
multimillionaires such as Steve Fossett.

"We do not charge the rich or the poor," Siracusa said. "There is no
precedent where government will go after people for costs just because
they have money to pay for it. You get lost, and we look for you. It is
a service your taxpayer dollars pay for."

But Siracusa added that the final decision on whether Peggy Fossett
would be billed rested with the governor, who since January has cut
state spending to deal with a budget shortfall projected to top $900
million by mid-2009.

The Fossetts lived part time in Beaver Creek.
Old May 2nd 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90982

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Gov. Jim Gibbons intends to bill the widow of
missing multimillionaire adventurer Steve Fossett for $687,000 the state
spent in searching for the famed aviator last fall, a spokesman said.

Jeez. Ain't it enough she lost her husband?
Worse than that, she'll probably never know how,when or why without closure.
In my experience that sets folks up for some special kinda suffering.

Sure Fossett was wealthy but is my wife gonna get a bill for SAR if I bail in
the hills?

Joe Bob don't like it...nope not one little bit.

Old May 2nd 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kloudy via AviationKB.com writes:

Jeez. Ain't it enough she lost her husband?
Worse than that, she'll probably never know how,when or why without closure.
In my experience that sets folks up for some special kinda suffering.

There's still the matter of the greater good. The state went overboard
looking for him, and that was very expensive. It's true that they should have
probably asked for her consent if they planned to charge her for it.

Sure Fossett was wealthy but is my wife gonna get a bill for SAR if I bail in
the hills?

If it costs millions of dollars, maybe.

Joe Bob don't like it...nope not one little bit.

Be safe and nobody will have to search for you.
Old May 2nd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Kloudy via AviationKB.com writes:

Jeez. Ain't it enough she lost her husband?
Worse than that, she'll probably never know how,when or why without closure.
In my experience that sets folks up for some special kinda suffering.

There's still the matter of the greater good. The state went overboard
looking for him, and that was very expensive. It's true that they should have
probably asked for her consent if they planned to charge her for it.

Sure Fossett was wealthy but is my wife gonna get a bill for SAR if I bail in
the hills?

If it costs millions of dollars, maybe.

Joe Bob don't like it...nope not one little bit.

Be safe and nobody will have to search for you.

Stay in your apartment in Paris and no one will have to search for you
either.

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.
Old May 2nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Kloudy via AviationKB.com writes:

Jeez. Ain't it enough she lost her husband?
Worse than that, she'll probably never know how,when or why without
closure. In my experience that sets folks up for some special kinda
suffering.

There's still the matter of the greater good. The state went
overboard looking for him, and that was very expensive. It's true
that they should have probably asked for her consent if they planned
to charge her for it.

Sure Fossett was wealthy but is my wife gonna get a bill for SAR if I
bail in the hills?

If it costs millions of dollars, maybe.

Joe Bob don't like it...nope not one little bit.

Be safe and nobody will have to search for you.

You are a total ****ing retard Anthony. Put your head back up your ass and
inhale. That's all you're good for.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On May 3, 7:38 am, Benjamin Dover wrote:

You are a total ****ing retard Anthony. Put your head back up your ass and
inhale. That's all you're good for.

If you remove the inhaling from the equation I'd agree.

The ****** gets off on ' There's still the matter of the greater
good. The state went overboard
looking for him, and that was very expensive. It's true that they
should have
probably asked for her consent if they planned to charge her for it. "

Stuff the 'greater good'

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters
Old May 3rd 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.

So? In any case, he may not have been unsafe, but he was clearly unwise.
Old May 3rd 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

I'd like to know that if I ever went down the Search and Rescue would
come looking for me without regard for the beancounters

So you think that no cap should be placed on the amount of money spent to
search for you? And you believe that taxpayers in general should pay the
infinitely high bill?
Old May 3rd 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Shirl writes:

It isn't as if they say to the spouse, "Hey, would you like us to go
search for your husband?" and if she says no, they just leave a guy who
might need rescuing out there, or if she says yes, she's responsible for
the bill.

A third option would be to ask her if she wants to spend money on the search.
If the answer is no, the search is the same as it would be for any other
non-celebrity; if the answer is yes, the search is more extensive, and she
pays for the over-budget expenses.
Old May 3rd 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gig 601Xl Builder writes:

There is no evidence that Fossett did anything that was unsafe on his
final flight.

So? In any case, he may not have been unsafe, but he was clearly unwise.

Nope,. wrong again

Bertie