Leaving the community

Old November 3rd 04, 07:58 PM
John Dukakis

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

"David Brooks" wrote in message

[whining snipped]

Old November 3rd 04, 08:03 PM
Jack Allison

David Brooks wrote:

One thing - one of so very many things - I learned in my five years of
flying is that partisan politics does not fit into the cockpit.

snip

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home, into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

So, politics does not fit in the cockpit. Ok, I'll buy that. So you're
upset about the election results. Ok, I'll buy that too. But...since
you "know" all of us voted for Bush, you're packing up your marbles and
going home? It took you that long to get fed up with the ton of
unnecessary political views expressed here to leave? Um...ok, see ya.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, plan-to-be-IA-Student, flying club member/co-owner wanna-be

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old November 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
C Kingsbury

"David Brooks" wrote in message

That being so, and despite what should be an apolitical setting, I can no
longer in good faith keep company with a group of which the majority, I
know, has elected to deliver the country I love, and chose as my home,

into
the hands of Bush and his repressive, regressive masters.

Get a $&%@!ing helmet, dude.

I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, low-tax Republican living in Boston, Massachusetts
for the past ten years. Most of the people I know don't understand how an
educated, reasonable person like me could vote for "that chimp." One of my
best friends is a hardcore lesbian environmental journalist who went to
Smith, and I've worked on the staff of one of the alternative newspapers up
here. Let's just say that when I went to the Halloween party this year, all
the goths, gays, trannies, and just plain weirdos looked at me like I was
the freak. Well hey, in Cambridge, I am.

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush." Given the choice they'd like us to
pull out of Iraq and beg the UN's forgiveness, raise taxes back to 70% on
income over $200k, tax gas at $3/gallon, ban every gun out there, and make
gay sex a part of grade-school curricula. Need I say that I think their
policies would devastate this country just as terribly as you think W's
policies will?

Still, I've managed to become and remain friends with quite a few of these
people because I realize that they're not actually bad people, just
misguided. Naturally they feel the same about me. Some of them I'm happy to
have long debates with over vast quantities of alcohol, others I only talk
about other topics with. Life goes on and is richer for the company of
people who think differently than I do.

51% of this country did not vote for fascism, they voted for George W. Bush.
There's a difference if you care to see it.

-cwk.

Old November 3rd 04, 09:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Still, I've managed to become and remain friends with quite a few of these
people because I realize that they're not actually bad people, just
misguided. Naturally they feel the same about me. Some of them I'm happy
have long debates with over vast quantities of alcohol, others I only talk
about other topics with. Life goes on and is richer for the company of
people who think differently than I do.

Precisely. Well said.

Our best friends are both liberal Democrats. We watched the election
results together last night, much like watching Monday Night Football. We
had the same snacks, the same drinks -- and the same cheering and booing.

For David to take this kind of thing so seriously that he's "leaving the
community" is bizarre to the point of absurdity.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
Jay Honeck

These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush."

That is SO ironic.

If the Democrats has nominated a middle-of-the-road guy to run against
Bush -- say, Dick Gephardt -- this election would not have even been close.
The Democrats would have swept the nation, and never by less than 25
percentage points.

Stupidly, they nominated a guy whose political positions were to the left of
Ted Kennedy's, absolutely ensuring a Bush victory.

There were many traditional Republicans out here -- myself included -- who
would have voted for a conservative Democrat in this election. But there
was just no way for any of us to vote for a guy like Kerry.

The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 09:34 PM
C Kingsbury

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
These people are mad Kerry didn't run a liberal campaign and can't stand
that he "was just as pro-war as Bush."

The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.

Hillary Clinton.

With Barack Obama for VP, of course. Too soon for him to run for Prez. but
he's going to get there sooner or later unless he has an intern problem.

2008 will be a slugfest extraordinaire. First in 50 years that you'll have a
completely open race with neither an incumbent nor VP on either ticket.

My dream team is Giuliani-Rice. Not likely to happen but the Red Sox weren't
supposed to beat the Yankees after being down 0-3 either. That team could
put nearly the entire country in play.

-cwk.

Old November 3rd 04, 10:44 PM
Icebound

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]

....snip...
The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.

Hillary Clinton.

....snip...
My dream team is Giuliani-Rice. ...snip...

It would be interesting to see if the (conservative) country is ready for a
Woman in the White House, or even in the position of "heartbeat away".

That's kind of a "liberal" concept, isn't it???...

Old November 4th 04, 01:50 PM
Richard Russell

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:44:52 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]

...snip...
The moral for the Democrats: Don't ever nominate an ultra liberal to run
for president again.

Hillary Clinton.

...snip...
My dream team is Giuliani-Rice. ...snip...

It would be interesting to see if the (conservative) country is ready for a
Woman in the White House, or even in the position of "heartbeat away".

That's kind of a "liberal" concept, isn't it???...

This is a sad comment to make in the greatest country in the world,
but my sense is that any party that nominates a woman for president or
vice-president has conceded the election before it starts. For
reasons that I cannot fathom, this country is not even close to being
ready for that scenario. We'll accept female governors, supreme court
justices, CEO's, etc, but not president or vp. We are way behind the
rest of the world in that regard.

Rich Russell
Old November 6th 04, 01:17 AM
Brooks Hagenow

Icebound wrote:

It would be interesting to see if the (conservative) country is ready for a
Woman in the White House, or even in the position of "heartbeat away".

That's kind of a "liberal" concept, isn't it???...

Some liberals may like to think that they are more progressive than
conservatives because they want to see a woman president. But
regardless of party lines, my take on it is that if you are one of those
people want to see a woman president than you are a sexist. Those that
don't bring it up either are not voicing their oppinion or truely don't
care. And it is those that truely don't care whether the president is
male or female that are the more progressive.

When it comes to racism, sexism, etc., those that are the loudest about
it are those that have the problem. Jesse Jackson for instance is one
of the biggest racists out there and he gets away with it because of his
past and because he is famous. And how do you accuse someone like that
of being what they claim to be against?

"When you obsess about the enemy, you become the enemy."
- May be a quote from Babylon 5, not sure. Great show though.
Old November 3rd 04, 11:22 PM
Matt Whiting

C Kingsbury wrote:

My dream team is Giuliani-Rice. Not likely to happen but the Red Sox weren't
supposed to beat the Yankees after being down 0-3 either. That team could
put nearly the entire country in play.

Mine is Giuliani-Powell. Nothing against Rice, but I've been impressed
with Powell since he first came on the scene in Desert Storm.

Matt

Leaving the community David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 556 November 30th 04 08:08 PM
aero-domains for anybody in the aviation community secura Aviation Marketplace 1 June 26th 04 07:37 PM
Unruly Passengers SelwayKid Piloting 88 June 5th 04 08:35 AM
Report Leaving Assigned Altitude? John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 81 March 20th 04 02:34 PM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 12:59 AM