I want to buy a plane by year-end but they're not making it easy.

Old December 3rd 04, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:42:49 GMT, "markjen"
wrote:

My advice is to cool your jets on buying an airplane and finish getting your
ticket. Flying your own plane just adds another distraction. Insurance
will be very, very tough to get. Keep your eye on the ball.

I think he's concerned about getting the tax writeoff. Presumably he
has a business, and this is a business expense. It's 50 percent, a big
deal, probably wipe out his taxes for a couple of years.

Seems a bit late in the day!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
John T

I do believe the tax writeoff thing has been extended. Haven't been
paying attention to it, but thats what I recall.

John

Old December 4th 04, 05:29 PM
Dude

It has been extended, but you have to have a deposit and contract before the
end of this year, and place the plane in service before the end of 2005. If
you meet the criteria, you can get the same 50% they got this year.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:29 AM
nuke

All I've asked of Cirrus, Piper and Tiger is if I can demo their damned
planes before I buy. BRBR

Uhh, something seems off here.

Cirrus sells a lot of planes to student pilots.

Here in Silicon Valley, where money flows like, well I dunno, they'll certainly
demo you a SR22 or SR20 if you've never flown in a plane before. You need to
have verifiable source of funds of some kind, or they'll dismiss you as a
flake.

If you're for real, I'm sure you can get setup with a demo flight around here.

--
Dr. Nuketopia
Sorry, no e-Mail.
Old December 2nd 04, 05:20 PM
Mike Rapoport

"T.Roger" wrote in message
. com...
I don't have my ticket yet -- and I'm really committed because I want to
buy
my own plane to train and fly -- and I want to take advantage of the tax
write-off about to expire at year end.

I've been at this since August.
But, hell, they're not making it easy.

All I've asked of Cirrus, Piper and Tiger is if I can demo their damned
planes before I buy. But if you don't have your ticket they don't want to
know you. They take the position that I should secure the financing for
the
particular plane before I demo. I take the position that I'm not going to
waste my time if I'm not in love with the plane. I tell them that I'm
relegated to buying a C172 because that's the only plane I know and
they're
not making it easy for me to consider anything else. They take the
position
that "...every customer who's bought their 'so-and-so-brand-plane' has
never
regretted it and has never gone back to a C172. I say: kiss my a**: if I'm
going to effort to run around trying to convince a bank to finance my
purchase @ $200,000 or more (you know what that's like) then I want to
know
what in hell I'm buying!! They're sort of saying: marry me and then
you'll
find out if you love me.

So far, I haven't had one demo since I started the search in August.
I thought GA was hurting; I guess not.

I train in C172's, and I guess that's what Cirrus, Piper and Tiger want me
to buy because they don't seem interested in my business.

It is probably too late now but when asked for financial information that I
think is unjustified, I have always jsut said: "No, I am not going to
provide that". I am fairly certain that nobody with any real net worth
would disclose their financials to a salesman.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 2nd 04, 05:33 PM
NW_PILOT

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"T.Roger" wrote in message
[...]

Nope not to the sales man but maybe to a finance manager!

Old December 2nd 04, 10:26 PM
C Kingsbury

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

It is probably too late now but when asked for financial information that

think is unjustified, I have always jsut said: "No, I am not going to
provide that". I am fairly certain that nobody with any real net worth
would disclose their financials to a salesman.

I work in sales. One of the first things you do, whether you're selling
cars, houses, or corporate software, is figure out whether the guy you're
talking to can spend the money to buy your product. The more it costs you to
dance with him, the more you want to qualify it.

You can usually tell one way or the other if someone has money. I once
worked in a fancy retail store and saw this guy walk in wearing ripped jeans
and a dirty T-shirt. No one else paid any attention to the guy because he
looked like a bum. As I walked past him I glanced at his wrist and saw a
Swiss watch probably worth more than the BMW that the guy in a suit next to
him drove. Needless to say the "bum" nobody wanted to deal with left with
$1000 of cigars. Shoes are another big giveaway. The average observer sees
three guys in suits. The skilled one sees one guy wearing Bally loafers and
two guys in department-store shoes.

There's also plenty of psychological "tells" that a smart salesperson knows
to look for. Do they look comfortable and at ease, or are they anxious
because they think they might be out of their league? How long do they take
before asking the price? If they ask right away they're either totally
serious or totally tire-kicking. I don't mind tire-kickers who know they
are, because they won't cost me valuable time. If I'm not busy I can chew
the fat with them for a while, then blow out if a real customer shows up.
It's the guy in between who spikes me. He spends an hour looking at it and
then decides in the end he needs to spend the money on new siding instead.

In real big-ticket items like cars or real estate, it's not unusual that you
really don't even see the smart and or wealthy buyer face-to-face until the
deal is closed. If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

-cwk.

Old December 2nd 04, 11:11 PM
Dude

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

SNIP

If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

-cwk.

So true. My mom is a secretary, and I doubt her last boss ever bought much
that he did not just ask her to get. She has called me a million times
asking what type of computer or gadget to get. Seriously, he would want a
new cell phone, laptop, or camera and we would decide for him and she would
charge it on his card.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:11 AM
Matt Barrow

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...
You can usually tell one way or the other if someone has money. I once
worked in a fancy retail store and saw this guy walk in wearing ripped

jeans
and a dirty T-shirt. No one else paid any attention to the guy because he
looked like a bum. As I walked past him I glanced at his wrist and saw a
Swiss watch probably worth more than the BMW that the guy in a suit next

him drove. Needless to say the "bum" nobody wanted to deal with left with
$1000 of cigars. Shoes are another big giveaway. The average observer sees
three guys in suits. The skilled one sees one guy wearing Bally loafers

and
two guys in department-store shoes.

A former boss of mine drove a five year old Buick, wore Sears clothes, a
Seiko $150 watch (a gift from his daughter) and when writing during a
meeting once I tesed him because he used a "Brakes Plus" BIC pen. His wife
had a simple, inexpensive wedding ring. He often wore jeans and cowboy
boots.

He was worth some $15million. And, no, he wasn't miserly at all.

In real big-ticket items like cars or real estate, it's not unusual that

you
really don't even see the smart and or wealthy buyer face-to-face until

the
deal is closed. If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling

the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

Usually.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
C Kingsbury

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message

A former boss of mine drove a five year old Buick, wore Sears clothes, a
Seiko $150 watch (a gift from his daughter) and when writing during a
meeting once I tesed him because he used a "Brakes Plus" BIC pen. His wife
had a simple, inexpensive wedding ring. He often wore jeans and cowboy
boots.

He was worth some $15million. And, no, he wasn't miserly at all.

I've been working on starting my own company for quite some time now, and
about a month ago I sold my "nice" car and traded down to a very modest
little 2-door ford coupe to get rid of my monthly payments and extract some
equity as the car was worth more than I owed on it. When I bought the car it
had been my sign of arrival, that I finally was doing well enough to not
worry about every little bit. As I watched it drive away, I said, "well, in
a year or so when the business starts to hum I'll get that Audi convertible
I really want."

Funny thing is, now that I've been driving my 1998 Escort around for a
month, I'm saying, "geez, this ain't so bad. Maybe I'll get the Chrysler
instead of the Audi and save the money for the plane/boat/condo."

It's sometimes funny how skimping regularly on the little things can in time
add up to enough to pay for the big ones. Living in a high-cost city does
not make this easy...

-cwk.

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 04 07:27 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 November 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM