Pilot Mindsets and Enhanced Safety

Old August 21st 11, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Pilot Mindsets and Enhanced Safety

Most U.S. glider pilots know of Tom Knauff, creator and long-time proprietor
of the well-known Ridge Soaring Gliderport in Pennsylvania. Probably fewer are
aware he has an intermittent electronic newsletter, which has as its most
persistent theme the utterly boring, sometimes irritating, theme of 'safety.'

Now I don't know Tom (have seen him once [maybe twice]), so please don't
misread any of what follows as something, somehow, having some nefarious
commercial relationship to his 'sideline' of creating safety-based books,
presentations, and general opinionating, because it doesn't. What follows
*does* represent my own thinking on the utterly boring, sometimes irritating,
'safety theme' as it applies to glider pilots. True, it's a U.S.-centric view,
but it wouldn't surprise me if much of it applies worldwide, simply because
it's based upon one man's perception of human nature.
- - - - - -

Background: Knauff has recently published a 'Young Driver Safety' book,
targeted (he says) at the kids' parents and guardians, and not limited in its
applicability to driving, but encompassing 'the dreaded safety' mindset. I've
used quotations because I've not yet read the book - someone else may
characterize it differently - but I'm guessing it's a generally accurate
representation.

The book came out no more than several months ago, memory says.

Since then, Knauff's newsletter has more than once expressed

I recently received a note from a subscriber in Europe as follows:

Many years ago, a large glider club in Europe found itself confronted
with a steep increase in insurance

premiums after a series of glider accidents. The proposed insurance
premiums would have exceeded the total club subscription revenues, so
the club was at risk of folding.

The chairman of the club read the Riot Act (much needed today) to the
members and said they were no longer going to rely on the insurance
company, but were going to self-insure. (The statement is recorded in
the club newsletter.)

Anyway, that dramatic response to the crisis worked.

Accidents were dramatically reduced, and with further changes to
practices and procedures, the club survives to this day.

As have a lot of people who might otherwise have been killed!

The message is clear: If the current accident rate is going to be
reduced, it will take the attention and cooperation of all glider
pilots, who will develop a new approach to being involved and watching
out for their fellow pilots.

Tom Knauff

Find a Safety Pilot in your area with Safety Pilot Club Safety Pilot Club Instrument Flight Rules 0 December 29th 06 03:51 AM
safety pilot question Rachel Piloting 2 December 9th 05 02:37 AM
Safety pilot in and out of IMC Paul Tomblin Instrument Flight Rules 43 December 21st 04 07:58 PM
Safety Pilot Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 5 July 8th 04 12:16 PM
Safety Pilot Qualification? Richard Instrument Flight Rules 17 November 24th 03 03:07 PM