2nd-Guessing Accidents (aka Seeking Personal Insight)

Old May 18th 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

Default 2nd-Guessing Accidents (aka Seeking Personal Insight)

Hello all. I've been away from RAS for a few years, but after browsing, this looks like a great thread to become reacquainted. As a non-current but experienced CFI in the USA, and now an ex-pat living in France with my Discus2 soaring in the Alps, I have a uniquely pertinent perspective!

I'm going to back-up Kirk "66" and agree with him that the American SYSTEM of instruction is flawed, but not the instructors themselves. To clarify, the typical American club 'instructs' to solo, and then 'brushes-up' to the check ride. This meets the requirements of FAR part 61 for either Private or Commercial Pilot Standards. I have never met a recently-certified American Private Pilot-Glider that can explain to me what a glider polar is, beyond what the two axes on the graph represent. If a particular pilot has the personal desire to further their knowledge or range, it is more or less up to them. To clarify, I purposefully used the word TYPICAL in my description of American clubs; of course there are exceptions.

By contrast, here in France, instruction continues to what they call the "Brevet F," what we in the USA call the Diamond Badge. Yes, you read correctly: it is EXPECTED of pilots to continue training through to the Diamond Badge!

My club in Fayence, which is typical of clubs in France, is different from its American counterparts in many ways. First, we have mandatory briefings every morning. If you want to fly today, you'll be at the briefing at 9am.. Gliders are assigned at the briefing, and it will be yours to fly all day. This is a bigger deal than it appears. American clubs typically limit time in a club glider to an hour or two, so that other pilots may fly it too. The problem is that this practice completely discourages cross-country flight.

Each flight intentionally flown beyond gliding range of the home field must be pre-approved by the Chief Instructor. Instructors flying cross-country check-up on cross-country pilots via position/status reports, and offer updates on changing conditions. If a pilot is doing something that the instructor deems ‘unwise,’ instructions are given, and occasionally an instructor will abandon their task, divert to the inexperienced pilot’s location, and then guide them back to safer pastures.

Which glider you're allowed to fly is dependent on how much training you've had. If you want to fly the Pegase or LS4, you'll need to have the equivalent of a Silver Badge, and have done it in the mountains, in a Ka6, and then have been instructed in the ASK21. Want to fly the ASW20? That's only after you've flown 100kms in the Standard Class, and have been instructed in the JanusC. Beyond getting trained in the gliders’ differences, you’re getting trained in glider performance. French pilots know glider polars, and they know how to apply that knowledge.

Here at Fayence, to be approved to fly a task greater than 200kms, you're required to have attended a week-long encampment at Barcelonnette, an extreme Alpine Airfield. Everything here is exaggerated: from the figure-8-turn-tow in gusty mountain breezes in a narrow Alpine valley, to the unnerving initial thermal that has you sharing cliff-side thermals with several other gliders. The most important item on the training agenda though is at the end of each day: the landing. Strong breezes with mountain rotors make every approach critical, and not making the short runway simply isn't an option. If you can make it through the week at Barcelonnette, you're ready for your 300km task.

After your Gold Badge, you're considered trained and qualified. You're now good to take the DuoDiscus beyond local with your friends. After you have your Diamond Badge you're invited to sign up for the ASH25.

To summarize, it isn't the American instructors that are at fault, it's the training culture. New pilots need to be sheparded long after the initial solo, and it is here that American training is grossly inadequate.

It's great to see some familiar names here at RAS! As we say here in France:

A bientôt!
Chris Fleming
'F2' (no, the other Fox Two!)
Old May 18th 12, 10:44 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Two[_2_] View Post
[...]

Always good to know how the French do things......what's next? Telling us to go to England to get our teeth fixed? Once again American Culture taking it on the chin.

Walt
A lowly American glider pilot sheep looking for a shepherd.
Old May 19th 12, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 18, 2:44*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'Fox Two[_2_ Wrote:

;814862']Hello all. *I've been away from RAS for a few years, but after
[...]

A bient�t!

--
Walt Connelly

I dunno.............do they have pundits telling them all their about
"stupid pilot tricks" too?

Brad
Old May 19th 12, 01:44 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[_2_] View Post
wrote:
'Fox Two[_2_ Wrote:

[...]

The bottom line is that accidents are ubiquitous and happen irrespective of ones nationality, culture or for that matter, level of experience and training. I remember reading about a number of accidents recently which happened to highly experience pilots including CFIG's and Examiners. I applaud the French Club method but at the same time I am sure that there are well run, safe and effective clubs here in the US of A. I would not doubt that there are shoddy clubs in France and elsewhere.

A club is no better nor any worse than the club members and their adherence to safety principles and common sense. I fly at a commercial operation but I see advantages that clubs enjoy including a requirement for members to work the flight line, hooking up, checking the pattern, running wings. There are times at a commercial operation when one must hope that there are others around to do the ancillary things required for launch. Involvement is the key, a willingness to open ones mouth when unsafe practices happen.

Regarding 2nd-guessing accidents, the original though of this posting, I have no problem with this. All too often accidents occur, the FAA investigates, months to years later a report is published and how often do those reports accurately reflect what happened? Of the handful of incidents, both powered and gliders which I have either observed first hand or heard about from a first hand observer, rarely does the FAA get it right. So what can we learn from information like this? Very little. It is imperative that we all learn as much as possible from the mistakes of others in an attempt to reduce the chances of those mistakes happening to ourselves. Most accidents have multiple potential causes and to think about those things, to have an action plan in our minds to avoid as many such circumstances as possible is a good thing.

Walt
( I wish I was soaring right now)
Old May 19th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Chris, thanks for expressing what I was trying to get across much more succinctly!

JJ, it isn't that our instructors are necessarily bad, it's the system they are themselves trained in that is flawed.

Walt, yes, there is a lot we could learn from the French - just as there is a lot they could learn from us (economics being one of them, right now!) Think wine, bread, small cars, diet, raising kids (look it up), to name a few. They also build the sexiest looking fighters, IMO!

But it's not only the French who have what appears to be a more structured system of teaching gliding - reading Sailplane & Gliding make me think the British system has a lot to offer, also.

That being said - accident statistics are not that good in those countries, either.

So maybe this is just a damn dangerous sport, and we just have to accept the risk and enjoy it to the max!

Cheers, got to get ready to race today (CD for a local contest in Phoenix).

Fly safe, don't crash.

Kirk
66
Old May 19th 12, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:44:35 PM UTC+2, Walt Connelly wrote:

Always good to know how the French do things......what's next?
*Telling
us to go to England to get our teeth fixed? *Once again American
Culture
taking it on the chin.

Walt
A lowly American glider pilot sheep looking for a shepherd.

Walt,

I’m sorry if I’ve offended your nationalistic pride or your personal ego; that was not my intention. The fact is that new, low-time pilots need guidance, and that guidance isn’t available at the typical American club. Yes, accidents transcend all skill and experience levels, and certainly all nationalities, but higher quality training is unarguably the best solution to preventing accidents and improving pilots’ skills.

My favorite quote from my British winch instructor at Lasham Field was how he described low-experience pilots: he called them “unconsciously incompetent;” they simply don’t know what they don’t know. The German instructor at the Schempp-Hirth factory directly attributed the safety and success of German glider pilots to that country’s comprehensive training program. And my French mountain instructor here at Fayence opined that there is so much to learn that it would take many lifetimes to learn without guidance; we simply don’t have that much time. Whether the subject is launches & landings or MacCready theory, a new pilot is simply oblivious to the countless risks and nuances of our sport. We as Americans should embrace the successful training techniques of others, and not be quick to dismiss them simply because of our nationalistic pride or personal ego.

I’ll be the first to acknowledge that it is unrealistic to change the American system of training glider pilots. As an instructor, after congratulating my students on a successful check-ride, I did my best to delicately explain that they had only achieved the MINIMUM requirements to be a certified pilot; a lifetime of learning awaited them. I, for one, practice what I preach.

I wish I was soaring too!

Chris Fleming
F2
Old May 19th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

On May 19, 12:19*pm, Fox Two wrote:
[...]

Well, something may been overlooked here. As a past SSA instructor
from the 1970's, continued soaring guidance is available thru many
American clubs and schools. They do care and do offer continued
training to the newly soloed/licensed pilot thru the SSA ABC badge
program. The SSA has SSA instructors. These SSA instructors have to
meet certain requirements. They can then issue A, B, and C badges
which help the student/new glider pilot towards his/her quest of
continued soaring skills.
Over 18 thousand "C" badges have been issued. These badges are a
stepping stone towards other badges, etc. In Texas alone their are
over 50 SSA instructors. All this can be found on the SSA website
which lists SSA instructors and their location. I have never met one
which wasn't willing to help out in the program.
This continued training after solo has been going on for many, many
years. We had it back in the 1970's. Some may never go x country, but
this ABC program helps them step in that dirrection. It has been well
thought out.
Accidents do happen, everywhere. Whats best now is we can share
quicker and hopefully educate all towards better awareness of what may
or can go wrong.

Regards, Tom Kelley. #711.

Old May 20th 12, 12:57 AM
[...]

Chris, my nationalist pride is intact, I am an American..'nuff said. We, like every other country in the world have changes to make and I am confident that we will make them come November. Good luck to the French with their newly elected Socialist leader. My ego is fine, I keep it in check especially when I am flying. To do otherwise is to invite calamity and I avoid calamity at every coordinated turn.

I agree with much of what you say but I look to examples other than the French most of the time. I've had many encounters with the French, none of them good. The Spanish, Italians, Germans, Brits, Swedes, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans and others have sustained my faith in humanity otherwise.

Lets face it though, the two Air France pilots who collided with a tow plane of late did not do your cause any good. While learning to fly cross country is an admirable accomplishment....learning to fly with your head on a swivel and outside the cockpit is equally important. This is a dangerous sport considering the number of accidents per number of participants. We should be doing a better job of identifying the cause of these accidents in a more timely manner and insuring that those who wish to be kept informed have access to the why, what and how.

Soar on my friend and try to understand that the French amuse me and keeping me amused is a good thing.

Walt
Old May 20th 12, 03:10 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotovkotzepkoi View Post
Some time ago, before getting into sailplanes, I flew hang gliders in the Alps. For many years I was in the Army in Germany and used to going hang gliding in Provence in southern France for 2 or 3 weeks every summer. I always found the French to be friendly and gracious. About the same as other Europeans. That's why the American tendency to bash the French always bothers me. Why does it exist? Here's my theory: American conservatives associate France with cuisine, culture, perfume, fashion, wine...subjects essentially feminine in nature. Take Germany. Why don't the Germans get hammered by American conservatives? Simple, it's because Germany in the neocon weltanschauing is associated with spiked helmets, tanks, BMWs, engineering, Krupp steel, beer....masculine stuff. Bottom line, the poorly developed and threatened masculinity of many Americans causes fears that a positive nod toward anything French threatens their machismo. Utter anything slightly positve about France in the US and your political career as a republican is dead. Example: Kerry spoke French?! Into windsurfing and not football? How dare him, must be a eurof..g! That's the train of thought. In my rambles in the French Alps I found the French to be hard core adventurers. There aren't signs everywhere to watch your step, etc. People there are treated as adults. Furthermore, you could hang glide off pretty much anything and never worry about some land owner forbidding your because of liability risks. The French and most other Europeans accept that they are responsible if they screw up and hurt themselves doing something dangerous. If they break a leg crashking into a field or burn their lips on too hot coffee they don't run off an whine to some judge that the land owner or coffee shop owner now owes them 1 million dollars. Not so for many of the pampered, spoiled, whiners in the US.
"Bottom line, the poorly developed and threatened masculinity of many Americans causes fears that a positive nod toward anything French threatens their machismo. Utter anything slightly positve about France in the US and your political career as a republican is dead." Surely you jest. While my sense of humor is often misunderstood I find it more amusing that every time someone disagrees with another it must be because they find their masculinity threatened. You have a great day my friend and soar on.

Walt
(An Independent/Moderate)
Old May 20th 12, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

While I’m tempted to take the bait, Walt, I’m not going to bite on any of the off-topic subjects you’ve left hanging. I will point out, however, that your prejudice against the French (what is this anyway, 1760?!) is a textbook barrier to communication, and therefore safety. If anyone has a better and safer way of doing something, you check your pride and ego at the door, and listen to what it is they have to say, regardless of where they’re from, what language they speak, their gender or the color of their skin.

Moving on: I agree completely with Tom’s perspective of the SSA’s ABC Badge program: it offers the greatest opportunity for a new pilot to get that desperately needed initial guidance. The problem with the program, though, is that it isn’t mandatory. I myself am one of the Texan SSA Instructors, and I introduced the ABC Program to my former club there to help improve training and safety. The problem was that it wasn’t embraced by the club’s ‘ruling members,’ and it never took hold.

In France, the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale’s (FAI) ABC Badge program continues through D, E and F, which basically coincides with the Silver, Gold and Diamond Badges in the USA. Beyond achieving the distance, altitude and duration requirements of each badge, training is required for each badge as well. While not required by the DGAC (French FAA) for pilot certification, the A-F Badges are encouraged by the FFVV (French SSA) through financial incentives to clubs who participate (a benefit of a socialist culture); therefore participation is near 100%.

Tom is correct when he says that additional training is available in the USA for pilots who seek it out, and he practices what he preaches: Tom helped me when I sought him out (Thanks, Tom!), and we each drove many hours to have our discussions. Unfortunately, only a small minority of pilots are willing to make the effort to get high-quality training.

The same accidents repeat themselves every year, and so many die unnecessarily. Tom again is exactly right when he says that we need to educate towards better awareness of what can go wrong. But as long as advanced training remains merely optional, a gaping hole will remain in the safety net.

Chris Fleming
F2

UK Air Accidents Graham Drinkell Soaring 12 June 18th 09 02:29 PM
Airport Insight Monty Aviation Marketplace 0 October 30th 07 07:38 PM
Accidents Big John Piloting 3 December 14th 05 01:19 PM
Any experience with Insight True Flow 500? Thomas Borchert Owning 1 April 18th 05 06:13 PM
Peter Carl Masak, an insight F.L. Whiteley Soaring 1 June 29th 04 05:15 PM