ADF in Europe

Old August 25th 05, 02:11 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

Default ADF in Europe

Are ADF's required outside of the United States?

I had a demo flight in a new Mooney Ovation2GX the other day. Quite a nice
airplane, by the way. Afterwards, looking at the price list, I noted an
ADF add-on for the Garmin G1000 panel as $15,500 (it's a Becker ADF, for
those who are interested; supposed to be accurate to 3° at some specified
signal strength).

Since the technology seems to be becoming outdated in the US, I wondered if
it was required elsewhere.

Thanks.
Old August 25th 05, 12:39 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:07:54 +0100, Peter wrote:

Yes, the *carriage* of an ADF is mandatory for European airways flight
- usually this means Class A which in many places extends all the way
down.

Thank you for that information. And I'll guess that the ferry pilot was
probably flying an N-registered a/c, so I'm guessing the regulation applies
to all.

No, I would not want a bolt-on box under a glass panel. However, if I
should ever be able to afford something like that, my local avionics shop
said he could install it for a lot less. They just happen to be a Becker
dealer, too.

The background:

My wife is from the Azores, and it is possible we may go there for extended
periods (e.g. several months). If we do, from what I have read, I would be
able to fly IFR (and night) in my N-registered a/c with my FAA license;
where I would not have those privileges in a Portugese registered a/c
unless I took some onerous tests.

The new Mooney Ovation2GX, with long-range tanks, has more than enough
range to make that flight. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it
:-).

Old August 25th 05, 01:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

Are ADF's required outside of the United States?

In Germany, ADFs are required for IFR training aircraft. This is
different from the UK, as Peter posted.

DMEs are required for IFR flying. No substitution by GPS. Yes, I
know...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 25th 05, 03:07 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:09:10 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Ron,

Are ADF's required outside of the United States?

In Germany, ADFs are required for IFR training aircraft. This is
different from the UK, as Peter posted.

DMEs are required for IFR flying. No substitution by GPS. Yes, I
know...

So do the Diamond a/c with the G1000 being sold in Europe have both DME and
ADF as part of the package? For the Mooney Ovation2GX, that's $9,900 +
$15,500 USD for something that's of marginal utility outside the country.

Of course, that's the factory installed price. It can be quite a bit
cheaper to have those units installed after-market.

Old August 25th 05, 04:06 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Maybe in Germany but not everywhere.

Which is pretty much what I said, isn't it?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 25th 05, 04:14 PM

I'v flown a couple of Austrian-registered Diamond Stars here in the US.
They had ADF and DME. My Star was built in Austria and has DME, but I
didn't have them install the ADF (although the ground plane and
attachment pad for the ADF antenna are there).

Steve
N432SC

Old August 25th 05, 07:37 PM
gwengler

Even in the USA, no-DME restricts the choice of a destination/alternate, IIRC.

How so?

Gerd

Old August 25th 05, 07:39 PM
gwengler

The new Mooney Ovation2GX, with long-range tanks, has more than enough range to make that flight.

How much fuel would you have in total including the long range tanks?

Gerd

Old August 25th 05, 08:35 PM
Mark Hansen

On 8/25/2005 11:37, gwengler wrote:

Even in the USA, no-DME restricts the choice of a destination/alternate, IIRC.

How so?

Gerd

If you're flying a GPS approach at your primary airport, the alternate
airport must have a non-GPS IAP. If the only non-GPS IAP requires DME,
then you need to have DME operational in the aircraft.

Keep in mind that I did not cite all the rules/regs concerning this
issue, just the part that illustrates this point.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old August 25th 05, 10:47 PM
Mark Hansen

On 8/25/2005 14:33, Peter wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote

If you're flying a GPS approach at your primary airport, the alternate
airport must have a non-GPS IAP. If the only non-GPS IAP requires DME,
then you need to have DME operational in the aircraft.

Thank you for saving me looking this up However, I get the
impression that Americans worry about this detail about as much as
Europeans worry about carrying an ADF when doing NDB approaches

Well, as a student, I have to worry about all the rules equally ;-)