Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 6th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

More like 1868 as the aftermath of the War of Northern Aggression ... :~)

An odd name for a war in which the South fired the first shots.

Old June 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
news

Have you directly or indirectly inherited some of the wealth that the
slave owners stole from the black population? Thought so.

What wealth was stolen from the black population by the slave owners?

Ironically, the point of this subthread is that the right-wing
slavery-apologists here on r.a.p. haven't gotten over losing the Civil
War.

Right-wing slavery-apologists here on r.a.p. haven't gotten over losing the
Civil War? The Civil War ended 141 years ago. Nobody here on r.a.p. lost
it.

Old June 6th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something to
its rightful owner).

In the case of reparations for slavery, assuming the "rightful owners" were
not all dead, what is it that would be returned to them?

Old June 6th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ending slavery without a war was tried in the US and it failed.

It worked elsewhere, it would have worked here eventually.

Old June 6th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in
:

("Skywise" wrote)
Why the [#%&*] else would there be reparations if not to punish?

There are two regular posters who (sometimes) use the F'enheimer.

Maybe that number is now three?

Enjoyed the 'heck' out of your post, otherwise.

I may talk that way at times in real life (depending on who's
listening), but in written text I try to refrain from it's use.

However, there are times when I feel it necessary to indulge in
such language in order to bring focus to the point.

Have you ever heard George Carlin's little piece on the F word?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 6th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in news:q7KdnUu0VvPW-
:

Snipola
You're being intentionally obtuse.

Snipola

No. I am trying to focus on one specific point but you keep
going off on everything else. Since you can't even stay on the
same page as I, there is no point in continuing this discussion.

Old June 6th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
nk.net:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

Are the descendents of the slaves demanding recompense from only the
descendents of the slave owners? I thought the reparations effort was
to gain compensation from the federal government, which would presumably
obtain it from general revenue. That would have all taxpayers paying
reparations, not just those that are descended from slave owners.

Which just makes it even more 'unfair'. Why should my tax monies
go to pay for something that I nor my ancestors are guilty of?

Old June 6th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message

Which just makes it even more 'unfair'. Why should my tax monies
go to pay for something that I nor my ancestors are guilty of?

They shouldn't.

Old June 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Steven P. McNicoll posted:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

Are the descendents of the slaves demanding recompense from only the
descendents of the slave owners? I thought the reparations effort
was to gain compensation from the federal government, which would
presumably obtain it from general revenue. That would have all
taxpayers paying reparations, not just those that are descended from
slave owners.

Which is just one of many reasons why this won't fly. Consider, too, that
the decendents of slaves are tax payers!

Neil

Old June 6th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
No. I am trying to focus on one specific point but you keep
going off on everything else.

Here I'm honestly puzzled. What "specific point" are you "focusing on"? That
*punitive* reparations are not warranted? Who has ever disagreed with you
about that?

My point is that when you hear advocacy of compensatory reparations
(compensation for the lost inheritance of the value of the stolen labor),
you respond as though you had just heard an advocacy of punitive
reparations, even though that's not in fact what's being argued for. If you
want to rebut the argument for compensatory reparations, that's fine; but
please engage the argument that's actually presented, not a straw one that
you substitute for it.

When I point out your misconstrual of the standard pro-reparations argument,
you reply that I'm thereby somehow shifting from your "focus" to "everything
else". In reality, you did not mention the idea of *punitive* reparations
until midway through the discussion, at which point you declared that it's
what you'd been talking about all along.

--Gary