Paint on trailer tops

Old July 20th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Gaddy[_1_]

Default Paint on trailer tops

We painted our Comet trailer with Supercoat. It is
a paint for metal buildings. You find it a building
supply store. It is white, very reflective, and will
reduce heating inside the trailer. It is flexible,
sticks well, and will seal cracks and leaks. We applied
it with rollers and brushes. The only drawback is that
it comes in 5 a gallon bucket.

Old July 20th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

"Ed Gaddy"
We painted our Comet trailer with Supercoat. It is
a paint for metal buildings. You find it a building
supply store. It is white, very reflective, and will
reduce heating inside the trailer. It is flexible,
sticks well, and will seal cracks and leaks. We applied
it with rollers and brushes. The only drawback is that
it comes in 5 a gallon bucket.

Ed,
Can you be more specific about brand and product name. I looked around and
found stuff for sealing driveways. TIA.

Old July 20th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Murphy

Jim Vincent wrote:
"Ed Gaddy"
We painted our Comet trailer with Supercoat. It is
a paint for metal buildings. You find it a building
supply store. It is white, very reflective, and will
reduce heating inside the trailer. It is flexible,
sticks well, and will seal cracks and leaks. We applied
it with rollers and brushes. The only drawback is that
it comes in 5 a gallon bucket.

Ed,
Can you be more specific about brand and product name. I looked around and
found stuff for sealing driveways. TIA.

Jim: you may want to consider Martin Senour's super tough acrylic
paint and super tough acrylic primer. You can find a description at
http://www.martinsenour.com/common/p...heet.asp?id=30. I painted
a trailer using basic hand rollers and it has held up incredibly well
and has lowered the interior temperature significantly. I found out
about it through a local contractor's paint supply store. The guy who
owns the store knew exactly what I needed. He had me wash the aluminum
of my trailer with a 50/50 vinegar water solution to clean it and score
it a bit. I used 200 grit sandpaper on some really smooth portions of
the aluminum, but that was probably unnecessary. Then, I primed it and
applied three coats. Three coats weren't necessary, but I had left
over paint. Two gallowns of paint and one gallon of primer (tinted
bright white) was more than enough, and the total cost was under
$100.00. The only issue was that, unlike latex, you needed 6 hours
between coats. So, I did it over two days.

John Murphy

Old July 20th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Laitinen

It is called Kool Seal, a white elastometric roof coating. You can find it
at lowes.com.

Dave Laitinen

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Gaddy"

Old July 20th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Actually, I have a fiberglass trailer that has developed some hairline
cracks on the top. I had refinished it about three years ago with bondo and
Easypoxy. I guess the Easypoxy is not flexible enough to handle the demands
of a flexing fiberglass tube trailer.

Given your druthers, would you go with Senour's or Kool Seal, or is there a
better product for fiberglass shells? FWIW, I'm not obsessed with how shiny
the finish is; I'm more interested in weather proofing and longevity. TIA.

Glider Trailer Wiring Tips jcarlyle Soaring 10 July 14th 06 11:36 PM
Ugly Trailer Ray Lovinggood Soaring 3 December 19th 05 03:56 PM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM
Trailer spare - who woulda thunk? Bill Daniels Soaring 7 May 20th 04 04:47 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM