Malta plane crash, "aerobatic competition"

Old September 11th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Malta plane crash, "aerobatic competition"

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...ane-Crash.html

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition was
this?

They had footage on the local news last night, and both planes were flying
just fine until the trailing one broke the leading one's tail off with its
wing. They were in very close formation, and the trailing one descended
onto the leading one.

The airplane that lost the tail went directly into the water, killing the
pilot. I don't know the nature of the competition, but just viewing the
video it sure looks like the surviving pilot caused the accident, and did so
in a very reckless manner. Even in the context of a competition, the
trailing pilot was formed up with the leading pilot in a very dangerous
position (even in the fatal '96 Reno accident I saw, the initial formation
itself wasn't that close).

Pete

Old September 11th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Peter Duniho wrote:

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition was
this?

This site has the video:

http://tinyurl.com/fdhwq

--
Peter
Old September 11th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Sorry, let me try that again: http://tinyurl.com/jpk7x

--
Peter
Old September 11th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Peter R." wrote in message
"Peter R." wrote:

Peter Duniho wrote:

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition
was
this?

This site has the video:

http://tinyurl.com/fdhwq

Sorry, let me try that again: http://tinyurl.com/jpk7x

--
Peter

Comes back "Invalid Document ID"

Jay B

Old September 11th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jay Beckman wrote:

Comes back "Invalid Document ID"

Three time's a charm?

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...-7e7b8bfd923f#

--
Peter
Old September 11th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:

Comes back "Invalid Document ID"

Three time's a charm?

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...-7e7b8bfd923f#

--
Peter

No more callers...we have a winner...link worked (click on small link at
bottom left: "View The Video")

Looks to me like an air race demonstration wag. The plane that is high
and inside does not maintain a similar turn radius causing him to move down
and out into the plane that was low and outside of him.

Maybe couldn't see him over the nose? Do they use spotters in air racing?

Jay B

Old September 11th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Peter Duniho schrieb:

I have only seen the video, so this is all I know. But with my limited
knowledge of the case:

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition was
this?

First, please, this was *not* an "aerobatic competition". I don't know
what it was, maybe an air race, maybe an air show, but whatever it was,
it wasn't an "aerobatic competition".

They were in very close formation, and the trailing one descended
onto the leading one.

They were *not* in formation. The lower airplane overtook the upper one
pretty much without coordination.

it sure looks like the surviving pilot caused the accident, and did so
in a very reckless manner.

Not how I see it. The surviving pilot (i.e. the one in the upper plane
who chopped off the other's tail) never had the chance to even see the
lower, overtaking plane.

Stefan
Old September 11th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Three time's a charm?

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/natio...-7e7b8bfd923f#

All I get is "your video is coming after a brief message from our sponsor".

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 11th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jose wrote:

All I get is "your video is coming after a brief message from our sponsor".

I got that, too, in Firefox 1.5.0.5. Clicked on the IE Tab extension and
sadly for their website, the video worked.

--
Peter

Report gives last moments of plane crash R.L. Piloting 4 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
SC Lt. Gov plane crash FLAV8R Piloting 2 May 26th 06 09:44 PM
Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash John Doe Piloting 102 March 11th 06 05:03 AM
My DE just died in a plane crash Paul Tomblin Piloting 2 August 22nd 04 07:22 AM