Glasair rescue possibility?

Old February 13th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
danlj

Default Glasair rescue possibility?

While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.

I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
orphan... I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
beautiful from a distance.

I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.

drdan AT wwt.net
Old February 13th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Feb 12, 5:06*pm, danlj wrote:
While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.

I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
beautiful from a distance.

I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.

drdan AT wwt.net

Run the N number, find the registered owner, contact them ans see if
they will sell it... Kinda simple.. IIRC they are composite and if it
sat in the sun for a long time that might cause weakness in the
structure,,, YMMV.

Sad to see someones dream rotting away.

Ben.
Old February 13th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

danlj wrote:
While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.

I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
orphan... I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
beautiful from a distance.

I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.

drdan AT wwt.net

Care to share the location & N number?
Old February 14th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 13, 7:20 am, stol wrote:
IIRC they are composite and if it
sat in the sun for a long time that might cause weakness in the
structure,,,

Composite fuselage with steel-tube forward internal structure
to carry the engine, gear and wings. Wings, horizontal tail and rudder
are all-metal.

Dan
Old February 14th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 13, 4:11*pm, wrote:

* * * *Composite fuselage with steel-tube forward internal structure
to carry the engine, gear and wings. Wings, horizontal tail and rudder
are all-metal.

For GlasStar with high wing, yes. But a regular low-wing Glasair has
all composite structure for the wings, fuselage, and tail. I think
it's a vinylester system instead of epoxy.

If it is covered with any decent light-colored paint or gelcoat it is
unlikely to have been significantly damaged by exposure to the sun.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old February 17th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
danlj

On Feb 14, 9:51*am, et wrote:
On Feb 12, 4:06*pm, danlj wrote:

While visiting a friend yesterday, I saw a Glasair sitting on the
ramp. My friend said that it is no longer being flown, and was given
to a now-defunct aviation school by the builder. Apparently it has a
blueprinted engine and was flown a good bit before this.

I am simply curious whether there's a person in the homebuilt
community who might be qualified and interested in resurrecting this
orphan... *I have no idea what its condition is - it simply looks
beautiful from a distance.

I have no ownership interest; am just a bystander... it seems a shame
to have a lovely craft like this simply gather dust.

drdan AT wwt.net

urban myth

Actually, it's not an urban myth. I've had contact with the current
owner and indirect contact with the builder; and with 2 interested
homebuilders since I posted. I am not going to expose anyone's
airplane, n-number, or identity, to a discussion list without their
explicit permission. Sorry. Amongst mostly wonderful people there lurk
(others).
drdan.
Old February 17th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 13, 9:35 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
Since when?? All the Glasairs I have seen have all-composite fuselage,
wings, tail, with steel tube structure forward of the firewall, metal
landing gear.

Bob Kuykendal wrote:
For GlasStar with high wing, yes. But a regular low-wing Glasair has
all composite structure for the wings, fuselage, and tail. I think
it's a vinylester system instead of epoxy.

I misread the original post. Thought I saw Glastar. Sorry.

Dan

Old February 17th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

You are correct, it isn't an urban myth. There was an article titled "Why
is white sacred?" that appeared in Soaring magazine back in 1975. I don't
have access to the entire article; however, here is a synopsis.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

Wayne
HP-14 N990
http://www.soaridaho.com/