Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt.Spacecraft?

Old December 13th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

Default Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt.Spacecraft?

wrote in message
On Dec 12, 7:37 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
I figure there is enough expertise in this group to successfully tackle
this challenge...

Now all it takes is money!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/scienceands...2/moon-20.html

I'm in, but -- like most of us -- all I have to offer is time, some
knowledge, and enthusiasm beyond reason.

(I found the Mercury and Gemini information on line, but there never
are any dimensioned drawings of them. How do modelbuilders do it?
Does NASA sell the plans?)

How long do you figure it would take for a committee of homebuilders
with a supply of muzzleloader to build and fly a spacecraft? Hell, how long
would it take to decide on a spacecraft?

We could send out little packages of parts/rivets/glue to millions of
Usenet folks, and have them all sent back for final assembly, kinda like
Boeing is doing.

We could simulate sending parts to some people.

We would need a referee, but it would be fun to watch.

Al G

Old December 13th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Al G wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Muzzleloader?

Hmmm.
Not quite LOX/Kerosene, but a obviously potent rocket fuel!

Wonder what the specific impulse would be?

AND

What handling precautions should be observed!!!

Richard

From Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_fuel

The maximum velocity that a rocket can attain in the absence of any
external forces is primarily a function of its mass ratio and its
exhaust velocity. The relationship is described by the rocket equation:
Vf = Veln(M0 / Mf).

The mass ratio is just a way to express what proportion of the rocket is
fuel when it starts accelerating. Typically, a single-stage rocket might
have a mass fraction of 90% propellant, which is a mass ratio of
1/(1-0.9) = 10. The exhaust velocity is often reported as specific impulse.

The first stage will usually use high-density (low volume) propellants
to reduce the area exposed to atmospheric drag and because of the
lighter tankage and higher thrust/weight ratios. Thus, the Apollo-Saturn
V first stage used kerosene-liquid oxygen rather than the liquid
hydrogen-liquid oxygen used on the upper stages (hydrogen is highly
energetic per kilogram, but not per cubic metre). Similarly, the Space
Shuttle uses high-thrust, high-density SRBs for its lift-off with the
liquid hydrogen-liquid oxygen SSMEs used partly for lift-off but
primarily for orbital insertion.

There are three main types of propellants: solid, liquid, and hybrid.

Old December 13th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message

(I found the Mercury and Gemini information on line, but there never
are any dimensioned drawings of them. How do modelbuilders do it?
Does NASA sell the plans?)

http://www.arapress.com/rotw.html

Unfortunately it is out of print at the moment...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com