Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 14th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

On 2007-08-14 07:32:35 -0700, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
said:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:48:34 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

... it seems a second wave of the crap made it though Supernews' filters.
I've got about 50 today and this is the first I've seen of it.

I saw some this morning.

Maybe a couple of dozen.

Pretty easy to tell by eye which were real r.a.p threads
and which were not.

Marty

I did not see them, but I am filtering out anything cross-posted to sci.crypt.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 14th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Mike Flying 8" wrote)
I took the others suggestion and downloaded NFilter and I have none of it.
It is great, easy to setup, and free! I would suggest everyone do the
same.

http://www.nfilter.org/
It doesn't mention XP ...?

Would not load on mine.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 14th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

"Morgans" wrote:

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Mike Flying 8" wrote)
I took the others suggestion and downloaded NFilter and I have none of it.
It is great, easy to setup, and free! I would suggest everyone do the
same.

http://www.nfilter.org/
It doesn't mention XP ...?

Would not load on mine.

I've been running it on XP pro SP 2 for several years. Can't remember
if there were any "gotchas" on setting it up. Are you familiar with
how it works as a proxy? My startup folder contains a shortcut to
newsproxy.exe, which is a file of 245760 bytes. The folder containing
that file also has a file nfilter.dat with all my filters in it.

What happens when you try to load it?

Old August 14th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

alexy wrote:

"Morgans" wrote:

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Mike Flying 8" wrote)
I took the others suggestion and downloaded NFilter and I have none of it.
It is great, easy to setup, and free! I would suggest everyone do the
same.

http://www.nfilter.org/
It doesn't mention XP ...?

Would not load on mine.

I've been running it on XP pro SP 2 for several years. Can't remember
if there were any "gotchas" on setting it up. Are you familiar with
how it works as a proxy? My startup folder contains a shortcut to
newsproxy.exe, which is a file of 245760 bytes. The folder containing
that file also has a file nfilter.dat with all my filters in it.

What happens when you try to load it?

Another thought: Might you have a firewall that is blocking it? Might
need to give permission to newsproxy.
Old August 14th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Flying 8

Right Click on the file and extract it to a new directory. Then just
run the EXE file. I originally had the same problem. It was saying
something about 32 bit application, when I extracted it, it works
fine. I do not think it is even necessary to run the setup. On my XP
machine I just copied the directory and ran the exe file.

On another note, I tried to set this up running on my local server,
and then changing the Agent to access the Nfilter at 192.168.0.200
instead of localhost. It did not work. I was going to try and have
this just run on my server for all my PC's on my home network, but it
seems I can not hit my server for some reason. I opened my firewall
for testing and it made no difference.

Any ideas here?

Old August 14th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:07:24 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote in :

http://www.nfilter.org/
It doesn't mention XP ...?

Would not load on mine.

Word is, that the incompatibility with XP is only the installation
program. Just run nfilter.exe executable file in its own folder, and
it should run fine.

Old August 15th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"alexy" wrote in message

What happens when you try to load it?

Something like file not recognized as a windows 32 file.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike Flying 8" wrote in message
Right Click on the file and extract it to a new directory. Then just
run the EXE file. I originally had the same problem. It was saying
something about 32 bit application, when I extracted it, it works
fine. I do not think it is even necessary to run the setup. On my XP
machine I just copied the directory and ran the exe file.

On another note, I tried to set this up running on my local server,
and then changing the Agent to access the Nfilter at 192.168.0.200
instead of localhost. It did not work. I was going to try and have
this just run on my server for all my PC's on my home network, but it
seems I can not hit my server for some reason. I opened my firewall
for testing and it made no difference.

Any ideas here?

I'll try that. Seems to be my problem.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:07:45 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

You devious fellow you!!!!

Laugh

I cannot take credit for any of what I wrote. There've been plenty of
articles in periodicals I read discussing this over the years.

- Andrew

Old August 15th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:25:06 -0500, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

It a great leap when compared to Mr. Henriques' theory that it was some
guy getting his jollies.

Oh. I see what you mean, now.

- Andrew