Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 15th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:34:47 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

Must be just me, but I never have one iota of trouble with these
"issues" and can't figure out why people seem to be so bothered by them.
I've always used forums by scrolling through headers until finding
something I decided from that header was something I might want to read
or answer. If the header was suspect or didn't pique my interest, I just
keep scrolling on down. No biggie at all.

Me too.
I read what I want based on the headers and then mark group read.
Tain't no big thang.

Trolls, idiots, morons, and Mensa dropouts will always be a part of any

Dropouts? I've met a few with astronomical IQs who were really
strange. :-))
Old August 15th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

Dropouts? I've met a few with astronomical IQs who were really
strange. :-))

I just checked with Bea. She says you're right. I am strange. :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 15th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Semler

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

Dropouts? I've met a few with astronomical IQs who were really
strange. :-))

I just checked with Bea. She says you're right. I am strange. :-))

Not strange, just......different :-)

(I didn't know I could "drop out" of Mensa. Now, letting my membership
lapse....that's a different story altogether

--
Doug Semler
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

Old August 15th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

Dropouts? I've met a few with astronomical IQs who were really
strange. :-))

I just checked with Bea. She says you're right. I am strange. :-))

Not strange, just......different :-)

(I didn't know I could "drop out" of Mensa. Now, letting my membership
lapse....that's a different story altogether

97 Percentile??
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 16th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:13:01 -0400, alexy wrote in
:

alexy wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:

It has been suggested that the free nfilter program will permit
filtering on any news header field to be used with any news reader:
http://www.nfilter.org/ . I haven't tried it yet.

Great little freeware program. I use it, primarily for another forum
frequently plagued by abusive posts, for which one user has written
filter files that he shares with the group. I didn't bother with it
for this little incident, but if it continued, it would be easy for me
to add a filter based on the forums to which it was cross posted.
E.g., in the other forum I mentioned, filters used include cross posts
to a couple of unrelated forums that some of the abusers hit in
tandem, as well as any post crosss-posted to more than 4 forums.

BTW, I went ahead and set up a rule for this. And I don't see the test
post I sent ] and cross posted to sci.crypt. Here's the rule if anyone
is using nfilter:
################################################# ###########################################
#
# Filter for rec.aviation.piloting sporge
rec.aviation.piloting drop xref:sci\.crypt
################################################# ##########################################

Of course, you will lose all those r.a.p. posts legitimately
cross-posted to sci.crypt! g

Unfortunately the r.a.p sporge flood is no longer being cross posted
to sci.crypt.

Old August 16th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

alexy wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

################################################ ############################################
#
# Filter for rec.aviation.piloting sporge
rec.aviation.piloting drop xref:sci\.crypt
################################################ ###########################################

Of course, you will lose all those r.a.p. posts legitimately
cross-posted to sci.crypt! g

Unfortunately the r.a.p sporge flood is no longer being cross posted
to sci.crypt.

Unfortunately, filtering is a dynamic process, and you have to be
careful not to filter those you want. Just added:
rec.aviation.piloting drop NNTP-Posting-Host:*hargray.net
Hopefully that will work and wont hit any real posts. Someone needs to
write a Bayesian proxy for NNTP.
Old August 16th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:34:28 -0400, alexy wrote in :

... Someone needs to
write a Bayesian proxy for NNTP.

There is a thing called "Cleanfeed."

I don't know how well it works or what kind of tuning
it needs to work against the garbage we've seen this week.
I am not now and probably never will be a news admin.

FAQ written by my acquaintance, Jeremy, who
works for Supernews:

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/...ed/cf-faq.html

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old August 19th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:53:49 -0400, "Doug Semler"
wrote:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
.. .
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

Dropouts? I've met a few with astronomical IQs who were really
strange. :-))

I just checked with Bea. She says you're right. I am strange. :-))

Not strange, just......different :-)

(I didn't know I could "drop out" of Mensa.

It happens with age. You know, that point in life where you start
meeting so many new people. Friends and even relatives. It might even
get to the point where you meet new relatives every day. Course when
they all get together to visit, that's time to start keeping track of
your pulse and read the OBs every morning to check for your name. If
it's not there, you at least made another one.