Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 13th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

alexy wrote:
BTW, I went ahead and set up a rule for this. And I don't see the test
post I sent ] and cross posted to sci.crypt. Here's the rule if anyone
is using nfilter:
################################################## ##########################################
#
# Filter for rec.aviation.piloting sporge
rec.aviation.piloting drop xref:sci\.crypt
################################################## #########################################

Of course, you will lose all those r.a.p. posts legitimately
cross-posted to sci.crypt! g

My rule was more inclusive due to the fact that this isn't the only newsgroup
getting hit. The folks in soc.retirement are also complaining about last
weekend's fun.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old August 13th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

I run NewsProxy (aka Nfilter) together with Outlook Express. In its
configuration file, I have the following rules which appear to have tamed this
particular beast. I saw about a dozen messages with just rule 1; after I added
rules 2 and 3 there have been no more messages. So I credit NewsProxy with
deleting the 1700+ bogus messages in this and other beleagured newsgroups.

* drop xref:[^:]+{1,}
* drop xref:sci.crypt
* drop xpost:sci.crypt

I'm not exactly sure whether the xref or xpost parameter is correct but the
program seems to be happy with both and the supply of bogus messages has
completely dried up. The first rule nukes crossposted messages... period.
Pretty much every off-topic message on usenet is crossposted, so why allow it?

Because a lot of messages are legitimately cross-posted, where they
touch on topics covered in two forums. E.g., a question about glues to
use on a wooden float for an amphibious plane could be posted to
r.a.h, rec.woodworking, and some wooden boatbuilding forum. I think
your #2 would do the trick.

Old August 13th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

alexy wrote:
BTW, I went ahead and set up a rule for this. And I don't see the test
post I sent ] and cross posted to sci.crypt. Here's the rule if anyone
is using nfilter:
################################################## ##########################################
#
# Filter for rec.aviation.piloting sporge
rec.aviation.piloting drop xref:sci\.crypt
################################################## #########################################

Of course, you will lose all those r.a.p. posts legitimately
cross-posted to sci.crypt! g

My rule was more inclusive due to the fact that this isn't the only newsgroup
getting hit. The folks in soc.retirement are also complaining about last
weekend's fun.

I agree that would work. I tend to make the rules as narrow as
possible, to avoid unintended consequences. Hard to imagine in this
case (although that is why they call them unintendedg)
Old August 14th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:03:52 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

maybe DHS needs to come and talk to you.

Why me? I'm not sporging. Any self-respecting secret service agent
could easily see that, now that it's legal to wiretap US citizens
without a warrant.

Old August 14th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:29:34 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:44:05 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

Apparently you missed the preface; "AS far as I can tell". Is there
something about that you don't understand?

From what information were you doing the 'telling?'

For Pete's sake Dighera; give it a rest will you? This is Usenet. Nobody
here gives a rat's ass what I think or what you think or what anyone
else thinks for that matter. Just post your opinions and stop bugging
people to "prove" this and "prove" that.
DH

You asked me a question. Then you admonish me for responding to it.
Please don't ask if you don't want an answer. Thanks.

Good Heavens! May you spend a year in a room with Anthony!

Old August 14th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:01:38 -0700, C J Campbell wrote in
2007081314013850073-christophercampbell@hotmailcom:

On 2007-08-13 13:56:16 -0700, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
said:

Which is more likely?

A. Someone with a resentment against Supernews uses their
name as part of a flood attack on sci.crypt.

B. Supernews, one of the largest and best news services
in existence, decided to sign its name to a flood attack
so that everyone would despise them.

I am a paying customer of Supernews and know which case
seems more likely to me.

Well, exactly. Still, if they resent Supernews, why did they urge
switching to Supernews in order to avoid their attack?

So as to make people think that Supernews was behind
the attack.

I am acquainted with one fellow from Supernews through
some committee work we do online. I heard of them
for years before I finally signed up with them. I
think it's pretty safe to say that this is not the
way Supernews drums up business.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old August 14th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

All this being said, I'm not trying to put anyone down with this post.
I realize this is just me and the way I deal with things, and I respect
everyone else doing whatever they feel they have to do to deal with
Usenet.
Dudley Henriques

This time, it was just plain annoying, to me.

I had probably 400 to 500 sporge (or whatever it is called) in one evening.

It just made the group useless, because it was so hard to find the good
posts.

I did get pretty fast at going though looking for the good posts, but there
were not many that were not bogus.

It was an unusual experience, even for usenet. I wouldn't mind if it never
happened again.

If it was supernews (or whoever it was that sent the warning message a week
ago) sending all the crap, (it seems likely that it was them, or someone
doing it under their direction) I wish they could catch them and fine the
crap out of them, and take away all business licenses away from them, if
that is possible.

No one has the right to do that crap, as far as I am concerned. It is just
the same as someone walking into my house, and dropping their drawers and
taking a big crap in the middle of my living room floor. I know I would
take a swing at them with a 2 X 4 firm on their posterior.

I feel better now. Thanks for listening, everyone! g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 14th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Keep in mind I'm not taking a dig at anyone. This is just my way of
dealing with Usenet. If the situation changed as the poster below has
indicated by saying 18K posts have been spammed on one forum, I would for
sure be taking a close look at solving that in whatever way was needed.
DH

I show 2149 posts on this forum, since late last night, to 8 PM. That is a
lot of scrolling, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 14th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Morgans wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Keep in mind I'm not taking a dig at anyone. This is just my way of
dealing with Usenet. If the situation changed as the poster below has
indicated by saying 18K posts have been spammed on one forum, I would for
sure be taking a close look at solving that in whatever way was needed.
DH

I show 2149 posts on this forum, since late last night, to 8 PM. That is a
lot of scrolling, too.

So far nothing even coming close to that here. Just a few showing on the
forum. Not sure, but the IMac using OSX and using Thunderbird as the
news reader programmed for a Mac instead of a PC might be relevant.
DH
Old August 14th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I show 2149 posts on this forum, since late last night, to 8 PM. That is a
lot of scrolling, too.

So far nothing even coming close to that here. Just a few showing on the
forum. Not sure, but the IMac using OSX and using Thunderbird as the
news reader programmed for a Mac instead of a PC might be relevant.
DH

The newsreader doesn't have anything to do with how many of those
posts would show up on your news server.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)