Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 14th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure
they are from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't
know how to block the messages in OE.

Everyone should do the following:

Send a complaint to the abuse reporting address provided by your Usenet
provider (in Kyle's case that is probably ) Also examine
the headers to see where the posts may be coming from. For example, I
noticed in the Google Groups archive that the headers of a couple of the
offending messages indicated the source was cox.net, and their abuse
reporting address is
. Consider sending a copy of the report
on to them.

Pick one or two samples and copy and paste _all_ the headers of the sample
offending messages to your abuse report.
Old August 14th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

As far as I can tell, these people most likely get their kicks by
reading the responses to their efforts.

Are you able to provide any evidence that what you purport actually
occurs?

You ask that question right after you post this in the same thread? You
got
anything to back that up?

You may have failed to recognize the fact that Mr. Henriques said he
was able to tell how the sporger(s) got their kicks,

He said as far as he could tell, and "most likely." What is your problem?

-c

Old August 14th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

For Pete's sake Dighera; give it a rest will you? This is Usenet. Nobody
here gives a rat's ass what I think or what you think or what anyone
else thinks for that matter. Just post your opinions and stop bugging
people to "prove" this and "prove" that.

You asked me a question. Then you admonish me for responding to it.
Please don't ask if you don't want an answer. Thanks.

*plonk*

Old August 14th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gattman[_2_]

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:55:47 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in

I don't understand what the purpose of the spammer is. How does he
profit by this?

It could be an ego issue: He demonstrates his power to disrupt
thousands of users.

Hmm. Who was it that said "Are you able to provide any evidence that what
you purport actually
occurs?"

-c

Old August 14th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Semler

Default OT: Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

As far as I can tell, these people most likely get their kicks by reading
the responses to their efforts. If so, that would be classic trolling. I
don't see any other benefit but I'm open to suggestion from the more
psychologically qualified on the group. The actual answer might very well
be above my pay grade :-))

Maybe they're "compensating?" g

On the other hand, this thread, which is completely OT for the group, now
has 75 messages in it.

--
Doug Semler
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

Old August 14th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I show 2149 posts on this forum, since late last night, to 8 PM. That is a
lot of scrolling, too.

So far nothing even coming close to that here. Just a few showing on the
forum. Not sure, but the IMac using OSX and using Thunderbird as the
news reader programmed for a Mac instead of a PC might be relevant.
DH

The newsreader doesn't have anything to do with how many of those
posts would show up on your news server.

Then why am I showing 10 posts and others are showing many more?
Old August 14th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Doug Semler wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

As far as I can tell, these people most likely get their kicks by
reading the responses to their efforts. If so, that would be classic
trolling. I don't see any other benefit but I'm open to suggestion
from the more psychologically qualified on the group. The actual
answer might very well be above my pay grade :-))

Maybe they're "compensating?" g

On the other hand, this thread, which is completely OT for the group,
now has 75 messages in it.

I think you have broken the code :-))
DH

Old August 14th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

I show 2149 posts on this forum, since late last night, to 8 PM. That
is a
lot of scrolling, too.

So far nothing even coming close to that here. Just a few showing on the
forum. Not sure, but the IMac using OSX and using Thunderbird as the
news reader programmed for a Mac instead of a PC might be relevant.
DH

The newsreader doesn't have anything to do with how many of those
posts would show up on your news server.

This is weird. I had all those 2149 posts showing on my side bar as being
unread messages. I went to another group and came back, and now it is down
to 143; all in the space of 10 minutes.

I don't know how many have showed up until I go thought these 143 posts, and
see what is there.

Last night, I was continually updating, and finding from 40 to 70 junk
posts, all in the span of 5 or 10 minutes.

I was aggravated, to say the least.

I'll go and check the rest of my received posts for tonight, and report
back.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 14th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Gattman" wrote

*plonk*

A little slow? g You must not be as smart as the average bear.
wink-wink (Paraphrased quote from the Yogi Bear)

I have had Larry in the looney bin for as long as I can remember. He is the
only one with the privilege of being permanently gone from my screen.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 14th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

So far nothing even coming close to that here. Just a few showing on the
forum. Not sure, but the IMac using OSX and using Thunderbird as the
news reader programmed for a Mac instead of a PC might be relevant.
DH

The newsreader doesn't have anything to do with how many of those
posts would show up on your news server.

Then why am I showing 10 posts and others are showing many more?

perhaps giganews is doing a better job of filtering at the server than
some of the other news folks.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)