Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 18th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:31:45 -0700, Steve Hix wrote:

In this county, we've one airport closed down (and is now a shopping
center that's doing barely OK), restricted operations at another, and
we're watching the county supervisors trying yet again to shut down the
largest GA airport that takes some of the pressure off the bigger nearby
international airport.

The same county supervisors who OK'd development adjacent to the GA
field, and are now using that development (large shopping mall) as a
reason that the airport is too dangerous to keep in operation.

It's a revenue enhancement issue at bottom.

Combined with growing public anti-sentiment toward private airparks
in/around existing or upcoming residential neighborhoods. They have the
budget deficit numbers to solve and the phone calls from the citizenry
to resolve.

Here you have neither.

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?prt=85&t=1217861

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39avgz Use satellite mode

The point would appear to be that if your airpark isn't relatively off
the beaten path,or required (as Captiva is). you potentially face an
ever increasing chance that the gov ain't gonna luv you.

Here's a link as to the ammunition that can be used against the airparks
from the airparks themselves.

http://fmi.typepad.com/lwyp/2008/03/survey-results.html
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
Old March 18th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:16:25 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:

On Mar 17, 5:18 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
WJRFlyBoy [endless]
blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah

Dude... you should spend less time typing, and more time flying.

Or reading about flying.

Or watching airplanes.

Dan Mc

Eight hours every evening not enough?
Old March 18th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

So bitch on, you clearly have nothing to add so PLOINK!

lol

More Bob Hooey.
Old March 18th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:17:57 -0700 (PDT), cavedweller wrote:

See signature below.

"I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone."- Hide quoted text -

But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

That's correct, I have.
Old March 18th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:46:52 -0400, Bob Noel wrote:

In article ,
cavedweller wrote:

But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

I know a CFII who always flies from the right seat, even when solo.
So his wife has probably close to a thousand hours in the left
seat (but never did get her pilot certificate).

LS time is more like 500 hours now that I think of it all in the 60s-
early 70s. Things may have changed since then, time to start over again.
Old March 18th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:25:05 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." * Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

I know a CFII who always flies from the right seat, even when solo.
So his wife has probably close to a thousand hours in the left
seat (but never did get her pilot certificate).

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

AND NEITHER HAS FLYBOY

See Below:

More Bob Hooey.

Asked and answered but, of course, since you "killfiled" me, you have
nothing more than Bob Hooey facts made of heaping amounts of Bob Hooey.
Old March 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:19:34 -0700, gatt wrote:

The airport/airpark business is a tough development mark to hit. It is
highly specialized, noise, post 9/11 fears, drug trafficking, high
liabilities, difficult financing, the list is long.

Fascinating that "post 9/11 fears" and drug trafficking are concerns. The
latter could be said for low-rent housing, condos, college apartments, etc,
but the 9/11 thing is weird. I'm positive there's more methamphetamine and
marijuana trafficing in the hundreds or thousands lower-middle-class
apartments that have popped up around Evergreen than there was coming
through the airstrip itself.

I'm sure your right. Relevance to public impressions, none.

Take for instance Immakolee Airport. Because it has a FTZ, and a couple
of busts, the public impression is that it's part Mena, part Islamic
stronghold. (the latter from several Middle Eastern owners who have drop
warehouses there.

Public impressions vote.
Old March 18th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:19:34 -0700, gatt wrote:

Buncha developers getting their asses handed to them in Oregon.

Not so much the case in FL but I have seen the same kind of disdain for
the environment and it is a f***ing shame.

Yeah. I didn't mean this to be an attack on developers as a whole, but,
there are some real predatorial land-raper dirtbags out here that came up
with a bunch of money and screwed a whole lot of people out of their own,
leaving the local economy and culture to deal with the debris. In our
neighborhood they got bought up a bunch of land, got approval to subdivide
lots, built and sold giant snouthouses and now the neighborhood is twice as
crowded, property values are dropping and these guys have long ago sold out,
collected their cash and moved on to plunder somebody else's community.

Then let me step up and tell you that land developers, a community in
which I muck around in, is full of swarthy corporations and individuals
who could care less about the environmental issue /other/ than how to
get around them. In FL, there are loopholes all over the place. How do I
know? Because we have formed our own ecoscience group to deal with the
Army Corp, the water districts, the DEP, NOAA, USWLF, ad infinitum.

We hold accountability to our processes. Airparks appear to be a
possible development area where we can apply that accountability and
have potential for profits.
Old March 18th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:32:26 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

I appreciate the thought Neil but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat.

WOW!

Go away, Bob.
Old March 18th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Pitot tube adjustment was Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Bertie

I tried that on my Johnson Rocket and got it to indicate 200 MPH in
level flight! Of course, it stalled at 100 instead of 60. ;)

All it is is an O-ring or something similar placed ahead of the
static pickup in the pitot/static system. This works only on planes
that have

combined pitot/static head, not on those that have the
flush-mounted static port on the side f the fuselage.

Ah, OK, you mean the ones with two tubes, right?

It doesn't matter -- all you have to do is be able to erect an airflow
fence ahead of the static pickup. This is one of the oldest tricks in
aviation -- dating back to at least the Thirties. It enabled salesmen
to sell a lot of "fast" airplanes!

Heh! Yeah, I think I've flown a few of those! I've certainly lown a few
where th eASI was next to useless, anyway.

Bertie

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM