Safety wiring oil filters?

Old March 21st 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Safety wiring oil filters?

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:04:36 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
roups.com...

A question for those flying auto converisons - how do you secure the
oil filter?

Aviation oil filters have safety wire tabs. FRAM HP filter, which for
various reason are what I need to use on my VW based conversion, no
got. Oil filters typically go on finger tight. Losing your oil filter
could ruin your WHOLE day.

You're right that losing one could ruin your whole day.

My question is: "How many automotive oil filters do you know of that have
fallen off?" I don't know of a single one.

I was on a long road trip in my 1979 Camaro when I happened to look under the
car during a rest stop and spotted oil dripping. My filter had backed off.
Hadn't fallen away, but it sure wasn't sealing.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting...

I had a small oil puddle under the Blazer a while back.

Since it was right after an oil change, I took it back
and had it checked.

Couldn't find anything wrong, but it hasn't leaked since.

Richard
Old March 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The Rotax 912 series of aircraft engines use an automotive-style oil
filter, and no means of wiring. When tightened properly, they seem to
grip more and more with use. My experience with automobile filters has
been the same. I don't think they need wiring, but that's only my
opinion.
tom pettit

Old March 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I agree with Tom on this. I don't safety wire the filter because I think it
might come loose, I safety wire it because I feel better. It doesn't cost
much in weight or time and it sure eliminates one possible, though not
probable, problem.

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

oups.com...

Old March 23rd 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

I agree with Tom on this. I don't safety wire the filter because I think it
might come loose, I safety wire it because I feel better. It doesn't cost
much in weight or time and it sure eliminates one possible, though not
probable, problem.

I use an auto filter, I take a 3-or 4" radiator hose clamp (worm-gear
type)and tighten it so that the back end of the screw butts up against a
part of the filter bracket such that the filter can't un/screw.---This
to be done just under the crimp -top- of the filter.

NOTE--NOTE--NOTE-- casually inspect top of the filter for an extra
rubber sealing ring---I Had it HAPPEN--the extra rubber blows out at the
first appearance of oil pressure---It leaked out 4 of the 5 qts of new
oil by the time I drove 9 blocks--luckily it was still leaking when I
stopped
and saw the trail.
Old March 23rd 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

My question is: "How many automotive oil filters do you know of that have
fallen off?" I don't know of a single one.

Some of the things we safety in aviation vs some of the things we don't are
pretty interesting.

For instance, we don't safety the AN fittings on fuel and oil lines. Why
not? What makes these different from the oil filter?

I've heard of it happening, although it never happened to me.
Airplanes aren't like cars though, they have a prop which causes a LOT
more vibration than the engine in a car experiences. That's why oil
filters on airplane ARE safety wired.

AN fittings are different from oil filters, they are a lot smaller and
you really crank them on the threaded fittings. They don't have the
same mass as an oil filter and because they are flexible, they don't
experience the same vibrational frequencies. Or at least that's my
take.

Corky Scott
Old March 27th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:48:11 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

You haven't driven much on "salt belt" highways, eh??
Washboard/frost-pocked roads are rougher than a LOT of aircraft!

I live in Vermont Clare, we call that stuff "frost heaves" and what we
have here is legondary. I've seen guys dent their roofs from being
bumped by the frost heaves. Imagine mile after mile of close together
speed bumps.

But that kind of bumping is not like the frequency at which a prop
vibrates. Whole different thing. Besides, folks slow down for them,
or loose their suspension.

Or at least that's my take.

Corky Scott