Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

Old June 10th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

When you make a coordinated turn in an aircraft, are you taught to let your
head tilt with the bank angle of the aircraft, or are you taught to keep your
head normal to the horizon?
Old June 10th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Mxsmanic wrote
When you make a coordinated turn in an aircraft, are you taught to let
your head tilt with the bank angle of the aircraft, or are you taught
to keep your head normal to the horizon?

Head and body should remain perpendicular to the floor of the
cockpit. This comes naturally if the turn is coordinated.

Bob Moore

Old June 10th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
Head and body should remain perpendicular to the floor of the
cockpit. This comes naturally if the turn is coordinated.

I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here. I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

Vaughn

Old June 10th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Vaughn Simon writes:

I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here. I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head level with
the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft.
Old June 10th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Vaughn Simon writes:

I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here.
I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head
level with the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft

but not with your head up your ass, fjukktard

Bertie
Old June 10th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

http://www.lifeisajoke.com/pictures388_html.htm
Old June 11th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Euan Kilgour

On Jun 11, 5:26 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Vaughn Simon writes:
I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here. I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head level with
the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft.

Sometimes I do keep my head level with the horizon in a turn to assess
bank angle peripherally while I clear ahead of the plane (this would
normally be when I am in a medium turn and are clearing in front of
the A pillar in a C172). I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, I
just do it.

Old June 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:26:48 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head level with
the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft.

I can't imagine a pilot would crane his head left or right in order to
stay oriented with the horizon. The natural thing to do is have your
spine straight up and down, perpendicular to your seat.

(Does anybody do it another way--in a real airplane, I mean?)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
forthcoming from HarperCollins www.flyingtigersbook.com
Old June 13th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

wrote:

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head level with
the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft.

I can't imagine a pilot would crane his head left or right in order to
stay oriented with the horizon. The natural thing to do is have your
spine straight up and down, perpendicular to your seat.

(Does anybody do it another way--in a real airplane, I mean?)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

You are correct.

Correcting any tendency to lean away from the turn is one of the first
things any good instructor should address during the first hour of dual
with any primary student.

Dudley Henriques

Old June 10th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-10 12:05:46 -0400, "Vaughn Simon"
said:

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
Head and body should remain perpendicular to the floor of the
cockpit. This comes naturally if the turn is coordinated.

I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here. I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

Vaughn

Actually, both you and Moore are correct really :-)) The body should
remain straight and the head should not be "tilted" off the straight
axis, but turning the head to look where you're going is absolutely
correct. Turning the head while remaining straight up in the seat is
not the same thing as bending the body off axis away from the turn
which is I believe the main gist of the original poster's question.
Dudley Henriques