Horton STOL 172 "V" speeds

Old December 29th 03, 03:08 PM
R. Wubben

Default Horton STOL 172 "V" speeds

I've just bought a '62 Cessna 172 with the Horton STOL kit and madras
droop tips and have a question:
My dad took it up for the first time (it's in WI, I'm in NC) and was
curious about if these modifications change the "V" speeds in any
significant way...? Apparantly there is no change in the POH after
these modifications, but obviously there must be some difference.
Specifically how Vx and Vy would be different, best glide, and what to
approach at. He and the instructor were using 75-80 as the approach
speed (which seemed high to me). Does the sink rate increase noticably
with these modifications?

Thanks for any insight!
Ryan Wubben
Chapel Hill, NC
Old December 29th 03, 04:05 PM
C J Campbell

Any change in V speeds should be noted in the supplemental type certificate
that comes with the mod. The STC should also describe any other changes in
flight characteristics.

Old December 29th 03, 11:40 PM
JFLEISC

I've just bought a '62 Cessna 172 with the Horton STOL kit and madras
droop tips and have a question:
My dad took it up for the first time (it's in WI, I'm in NC) and was
curious about if these modifications change the "V" speeds in any
significant way...? Apparantly there is no change in the POH after
these modifications, but obviously there must be some difference.
Specifically how Vx and Vy would be different, best glide, and what to
approach at. He and the instructor were using 75-80 as the approach
speed (which seemed high to me). Does the sink rate increase noticably
with these modifications?

My wife's 172B has the Madras tips and the STC does specify a placard noting a
lower Vne and Va (I can't recall the exact numbers at the moment) but I'm
pretty sure there is no notation on Vx or Vy.
With two people in front and full fuel it just won't stall (just mushes out
with "0" indicated air speed) but I think that is due to running out of
elevator more than the mods. I don't think it takes off any better than any
other 172 but I notice it "floats" alot on landing. Her instructors seem to
think it 'likes to fly' better than other 172s they teach in and it seems
unusually fast but I bet it's just rigged correctly more than anything else.

Jim

Old December 30th 03, 02:00 AM
Hankal

Have him make sure that the stall warning horn is going off
at touchdown and he will be amazed at how slow he'll be flying

I have the Horton and the 180 HP engine.
I float for ever if I try landing with more than
60 knots. My sink rate is higher than the average 172. I can land at 25 knots
nice and easy.
Very hard to stall.
Hank
Old December 30th 03, 03:04 AM
R. Wubben

That was my understanding...
My dad and the instructor went thru the paperwork and the POH and
found no mention of any change in the speeds. The instructor has
experience in a 180 hp 172 with the Horton kit and remembered that
they purposely did not change the "V" speeds.
But from a practical stand point, do they change...?

Thanks,
Ryan Wubben
Chapel Hill, NC