ANR squeal on descent

Old August 17th 05, 02:17 AM
Juan Jimenez

Default ANR squeal on descent

Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending from
FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying their
Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

????

Juan

Old August 17th 05, 03:00 AM
Peter R.

Juan Jimenez wrote:

Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending from
FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying their
Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

I have never had this problem with my Bose Aviation X. This is based on
about 400 hours of use with descents normally occurring from 12 to 15,000
feet.

--
Peter

Old August 17th 05, 07:37 AM
nooneimportant

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message

Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending
from FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying
their Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

????

Juan

I have Lightspeed 25XL2's.... never had that problem with them, do get some
interesting bleeds tho when on an ILS/LOC/BC approach, hear a periodic
buzzing sound coming down the glideslope, and another one when abeam the
localizer antannae on a circle to land, its never all that loud, just
noticable. Never taken the headset above 13k, so don't know if altitude is
a big factor on the squeal, but i've done drop like a rock descents numerous
times and it hasn't fazed the elctronics a bit. Only beef I've had with my
headset was the origonal mic went out after a year of use, shortly after i
started the plane up for my CPSE checkride, DE let me run home and get my
backup set (had already done one discontinuance for weather). Lightspeed
was very prompt in sending me a new mic and installation instrucitons,
overall pleased with the headset, and i've tried others. Anyway kind of
rules out the "ALL ANR's do this" argument. Be curious to hear what causes
that particular squeal in the Denali's, I've never thought altitude would
make a difference on how ANR works, other than lower air density at higher
altitudes (would that screw ANR up that badly tho?).

Old August 17th 05, 01:54 PM
Scott Migaldi

Juan Jimenez wrote:
Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending from
FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying their
Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

????

Juan

Never had this problem with my David Clarks or Lightspeeds. Could it be
that you have such a good ear seal that during descent the ear cups are
equalizing via a small amount of air leaking into them causing the
squeal? Have you tried loosening up the HS?

Scott

--------------------
Old August 17th 05, 03:15 PM
Dave Butler

Juan Jimenez wrote:
Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending from
FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying their
Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

Don't get up to FL180 much, but coming in to 23L at RDU, right next to the radar
antenna, I get a chirp on each revolution of the antenna. Happens on my Bose X
and my Telex ANR.

Dave
Old August 17th 05, 03:53 PM
Ross Richardson

I have not seen this with my old LightSpeed 20Ks. I've not heard the
buzzing from glideslope or localizer, but I have heard a buzzing with
each sweep of the ASR antenna at a field that I fly into. Interesting to
see it sweep pass me and get the noise. Also, my cell phone makes a
noise in the headset as it searches for new cells. Does the same thing
in my Camry radios.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old August 17th 05, 06:25 PM
nooneimportant

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
I have not seen this with my old LightSpeed 20Ks. I've not heard the
buzzing from glideslope or localizer, but I have heard a buzzing with each
sweep of the ASR antenna at a field that I fly into. Interesting to see it
sweep pass me and get the noise. Also, my cell phone makes a noise in the
headset as it searches for new cells. Does the same thing in my Camry
radios.

Motorolla? Mine buzzes the speakers from time to time as well, be it my
truck speakers, PC speakers, whatever its near.

Hmmm the ASR could be a possibility, never considered it before, next time I
fly an ILS into an airport not served by ASR I'll see if it occurs there or
not. But I can definatly state that in my case at least I do get a buzz
abeam localizer antannae, its a different buz then i get when coming down
the localizer, and I can expect it, only happens when TUNED to the localizer
tho, if flying a GPS/VOR/Whatever abeam the LOC ant I don't hear it.

Old August 17th 05, 09:37 PM
Ross Richardson

Yes,, Motorola.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old August 17th 05, 11:28 PM
kontiki

Ditto.

Peter R. wrote:

Juan Jimenez wrote:

Somebody explain to me why ANR headsets squeal when you are descending from
FL180 and lower in an unpressurized aircraft. Flightcom is modifying their
Denalis to deal with this but they say all ANR's do this.

I have never had this problem with my Bose Aviation X. This is based on
about 400 hours of use with descents normally occurring from 12 to 15,000
feet.

ASW19b best descent rate on approach (full airbrakes) Robert Sharpe Soaring 1 April 30th 05 11:41 AM
Shock *Heating*? Jay Honeck Owning 48 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Avoiding Shock Cooling in Quick Descent O. Sami Saydjari Owning 32 January 21st 04 04:32 AM
Radio Squeal B. Jensen Owning 11 October 21st 03 01:00 AM
Minimum rate of climb or descent Aaron Kahn Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 25th 03 03:22 PM