Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

Old June 10th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

writes:

Can't successfully Google anymore? Suicide watch for you.

I looked in the FAA archive.
Old June 10th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On 10 Jun, 18:41, wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

I can't find 61-104; do you have a pointer to it?

Can't successfully Google anymore? Suicide watch for you.

I can't find it either.

Regarding head movements, I am pretty sure that
I recall being told that military fighter pilots were
taught that turning their head and tilting it down
at the same time could result in dissorientation
- as in say moving from looking straight ahead to
looking towards a hip.

In the small amount of flying that I did
I think that it was strictly expected that
the head should be kept pretty much still
with respect to the airframe unless perhaps
looking at something inside the cockpit. I
am pretty certain that no side to side tilting
was allowed on pain of a rap on the back of
the head: -)

I would certainly fancy sticking to that
since it avoids the problem of what to
do when you run out of neck travel.
In some aircraft there will not be
room to move the head much.

Will watch the next Red Bull races
to see what happens there. My betting is that
the head stays with the airframe.

I have fairly recently started motorcycling
and I was not taught anything about head
movement however I have found that it
seems to help my visual perception
(depth perception?) if I keep my eyes
horizontal (wrt the horizon:-). My natural
action is to lean my head with the bike.

Old June 10th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

When you make a coordinated turn in an aircraft, are you taught to let
your head tilt with the bank angle of the aircraft, or are you taught
to keep your head normal to the horizon?

In your case they'd tell you to take it out of your ass first.

Not that thye could tel you anything at all.

Terrorist wannabe boi.

Bertie
Old June 10th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Vaughn Simon writes:

I usually avoid these threads but there is a safety issue here.
I teach my
students to LOOK WHERE THEY ARE GOING.

But you can look where you're going in both cases: with your head
level with the horizon, and with your head level with the aircraft

but not with your head up your ass, fjukktard

Bertie
Old June 10th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bob Moore writes:

Head and body should remain perpendicular to the floor of the
cockpit. This comes naturally if the turn is coordinated.

Interesting. When you learn to ride a motorcycle, you're taught to
keep your head normal to the horizon in turns ... because turning your
head with the bike as you lean into a turn results in disorientation.

Yeah, lkike you'd ride a bike,

Bull**** boi

Bertie
Old June 10th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Thomas Borchert writes:

So what is the difference between a bike and a plane in a turn?

None, if the turn is level and coordinated, from a vestibular
standpoint.

And why would
your idea below lead to more disorientation in a plane, not less? You
can figure it out. Just try.

Explain it to me.

Why?

Bertie
Old June 10th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bob Moore writes:

Because they are not normally operating in coordinated flight.

Why would that make a difference?

What they seem to be doing is minimizing the tilting of their heads,
just as motorcycle racers, ballet dancers, and ice skaters do.

You're an idiot.

Bertie