Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

Old June 11th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

On Jun 11, 9:29 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

In the training I received, it was made very clear that your head must remain
level with the horizon. The reason? Because you'll suffer spatial
disorientation if you move your head.

No, you had to be told because you obviously didn't do the right thing
naturally. On a bike, as the lean angle increases a normal person
normally adopts an angle somewhere between the horizon and the normal.
At full lean ~50 degrees the difference between eye level angle and
horizon is obvious. Look at some photos of GP racers.
http://www.moto-station.com/ttesimag...si_action2.jpg
It is also important to realize (!) that bike is _not_ doing a co-
ordinated turn. Now think, you can tilt you head maybe 45 degrees but
what would a pilot do for a 60 or 90 degree turn? Or are you saying
aerobatic pilots are disoriented? Susceptability to disorietation is
highly dependent on the individual and training.

The same should apply in an aircraft.

Maybe the MS code for bike is similar to that of a plane but they are
not the same in _reality_.

Remember that.

Cheers

Old June 11th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

I heard this kid's father flew aerobatics:

http://www.planet-familyguy.com/pfg/images/characters/freak.jpg

There's the proof of what happens when you keep your head on the horizon.
Old June 11th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

BT wrote:

In the words of the Jedi Master... "Use the Force Luke".. be one with the
aircraft.

BT

You are preaching to the choir, but MX is not in the choir. He's solo in
another auditorium.
Old June 11th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-10 20:25:46 -0400, george said:

On Jun 11, 9:35 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, both you and Moore are correct really :-)) The body should
remain straight and the head should not be "tilted" off the straight
axis, but turning the head to look where you're going is absolutely
correct. Turning the head while remaining straight up in the seat is
not the same thing as bending the body off axis away from the turn
which is I believe the main gist of the original poster's question.

and there I was, talking to the pax, checking the chart and scanning
instruments and the passing real estate.
Lots of head movement and body movement.
This is just another attempt by our pet pillock to sound like a pilot
instaed of a pile-it

Actually, on the student newsgroup specifically, almost anyone, even a
troll, can ask a question that can accidentally or even deliberately
meet the criteria worthy of a legitimate answer.
I usually deem this criteria as involving something posted that can use
clarification that legitimate student pilots might find beneficial.
If this criteria meets my scrutiny on a thread, I'll usually offer a
comment or two.
I will say however, that I make an effort to restrict this comment to
under-posting people I deem responsible and interested in flight safety.
I seldom if ever directly engage the person to whom you are most likely
referring here.
Dudley Henriques

Old June 11th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Except it doesn't ...

Why not?

Man up, suppress your terror of flying and go find out for yourself.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 11th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

So here we go again- he asks an apparently innocent question, and then
argues with all of the helpful responses from experienced and knowledgeable
pilots. It's getting boring, although MX bashing is developing into an art
form.

The fact is- flying largely relies on visual cues, not vestibular (applies
to VMC flying). Of course, all of the aviation physiologists at flight
surgeon school could be as irrational as MX, but not likely.

After flying many hours of acro, I've never wondered where my head was! It's
all about coming out on axis, the right attitude and altitude- and you put
your head and vision where it's needed to see that the other stuff is right,
nothing more.

IFR flying on the other hand, particularly at night, is another story. Then,
of course, the focus is on the instruments, and needing to ignore any other
cues.

My most memorable example of this was in the centrifuge at FS school. We
started from 1g sitting still, to around 1.5g, but with the bucket now at 90
degrees. It was a strong sensation of getting pitched forward and inward. At
least I was able to do the 9g ride without a GLOC, and this is what it's all
about.

Who cares where one looks when all he's doing is sitting in a chair, and his
only option is to look forward at the screen? It's kind of sad and pathetic,
although annoying as well.

Old June 11th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

RomeoMike wrote in
:

BT wrote:

In the words of the Jedi Master... "Use the Force Luke".. be one with
the aircraft.

BT

You are preaching to the choir, but MX is not in the choir. He's solo
in another auditorium.

Toilet, I think

bertie
Old June 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
. net:

So here we go again- he asks an apparently innocent question, and then
argues with all of the helpful responses from experienced and
knowledgeable pilots. It's getting boring, although MX bashing is
developing into an art form.

The fact is- flying largely relies on visual cues, not vestibular
(applies to VMC flying). Of course, all of the aviation physiologists
at flight surgeon school could be as irrational as MX, but not likely.

No,it isn't likely.

Seen a cross bred Cairn terrior that was as irrational as him, once
though. Crazy bitch.

Berti e
Old June 11th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Explain it to me.

Somebody talk to me, I'm looney.