Gloom

Old June 20th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Gloom

Something else to consider is depreciation.

What was the value of the Lexus six years ago?
What was the value of a low-end Cherokee six years ago?
What are they both worth today?

This is VERY important. Recently, the market has reversed, and our
planes have depreciated fairly sharply. (Atlas has lost roughly 25%
of his value in the last three years.)

However, if you look at history, these little "blips" happen. In 2002
I sold my Warrior -- to a friend, who was getting a very good deal --
for 22% MORE than I paid for it, just four years earlier.

Granted, with that airplane I had turned a turd into a cherry, but the
point still stands -- an aircraft holds its value much better than any
luxury car.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gatt writes:

Maybe it's time to polish the brass and bring back the mystique and
glory of simply flying a Cessna around the pattern instead of filling
giant airshows with Truckasaurus, drag-racing semis and Blue Angels.

The problem is, even for some people who are otherwise interested in
aviation, the idea of flying a tiny plane around the pattern is
neither mystical nor glorious, it's just boring.

You're an idiotl

And you're not interested in avaition

Bertie
Old June 20th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Barney Rubble writes:

Ok, I'll bite, how do you come to this conclusion?

As the salaries of pilots diminish and the glamour of the job
dwindles, it will become harder and harder to find pilots, especially
given the continuing expansion of commercial aviation. Thus,
shortcuts will be found to producing pilots quickly, and more and more
will be produced by specialized schools quickly and efficiently.
There's no inherent reason why a commercial airline pilot need ever
fly anything besides a commercial airliner (or equivalent simulator),
even for training.

Wow, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless,
clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless, clueless,

Old June 20th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:00:29 -0700, Jay Honeck
wrote in .com:

Good for our business. Bad for our way of life...

Which is more important?
Old June 20th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Barney Rubble writes:

Ok, I'll bite, how do you come to this conclusion?

As the salaries of pilots diminish

Not happening yet....

and the glamour of the job dwindles

Wrong again. Airline pilots still get laid on a frequent basis.

There's no inherent reason why a commercial airline
pilot need ever fly anything besides a commercial airliner (or equivalent
simulator), even for training.

Wrong. There are plenty of reasons. You simply choose to ignore them because
they don't support your (extremely limited) point of view.

Old June 20th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

john smith wrote:

Digital?
CDC?
Univac?
Honeywell?

Data General?

It sounds like a trip through Massachusetts...

Old June 20th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 6/19/2007 8:34:56 PM, "Gatt" wrote:

We're all just a big suburb of Los Angeles now. That's what happens when
these developer-friendly magazines decide your city is "America's most
liveable." There goes the neighborhood.

Didn't happen in our town when it was named in the top ten of one of those
lists. Unfortunately it would take a lot more than an entry on some list to
reinvigorate the economy of upstate New York.

--
Peter
Old June 20th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jun 19, 7:13 pm, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article . com,

xyzzy wrote:
Acquisition cost of a very low-end plane may be comparable to a high-
end car. But the cost of keeping it is way out of the ballpark. In
six years of owning my Lexus, which cost about the same to acquire as
an entry-level used Cherokee, I've only had to spend $1K on
maintenance once -- a 90K service that included a new timing belt and
water pump. My "required annual" is a state emissions inspection at
$30 a pop. And I don't have to rent a place to keep it.

How much is the value of your garage or your driveway?

the marginal cost of having a garage or driveway over the fact that I
have to have a place to live anyway? zero.

Some people
actually do have to rent or buy garage space or parking spaces. How
does the cost of money effect your conclusion?

Not sure what you mean by that, are you saying I have to pay a cost of
moneyto own a car but not a plane?

And it
costs a lot less to insure than... well, you get the picture.

I pay only slightly more to insure my airplane than my car.

Saying
that a plane costs about the same as a high-end vehicle is simply
wrong. It's way more. Not even close.

I think it's closer than you think it is.

I'd like to be convinced of that so I could buy the airplane I've
always wanted but in fact is isn't. Not by a long shot. Not if the
airplane costs are honestly accounted for, which in my experience
almost no airplane owner does.

Old June 20th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jun 19, 9:39 pm, "El Maximo" wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in message

In article . com,
xyzzy wrote:

Acquisition cost of a very low-end plane may be comparable to a high-
end car. But the cost of keeping it is way out of the ballpark.

I think it's closer than you think it is.

Something else to consider is depreciation.

What was the value of the Lexus six years ago?
What was the value of a low-end Cherokee six years ago?
What are they both worth today?

I bought my car used so while it has depreciated less than it could
have but it has depreciated significantly. This is an area where the
airplane formerly held an advantage, however that advantage is
reversing, and given the state of aviation I wonder how hard it would
be to unload a Cherokee right now, without significantly underpricing
it.

Old June 20th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"xyzzy" wrote in message

I'd like to be convinced of that so I could buy the airplane I've
always wanted but in fact is isn't. Not by a long shot. Not if the
airplane costs are honestly accounted for, which in my experience
almost no airplane owner does.

I don't account for what I spend on beer either. Some numbers are best left
unknown.