Gloom

Old June 20th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default Gloom

Good for our business. Bad for our way of life...

Which is more important? Aye, there's the rub.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 20th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The problem is, even for some people who are otherwise interested in aviation,
the idea of flying a tiny plane around the pattern is neither mystical nor
glorious, it's just boring.

This is not the case, in my experience. I've heard it called all
sorts of things, from "breath-taking" to "terrifying" -- but never
"boring".

Boredom in the pattern only comes later, after many hours in the air.
To combat this boredom, we LEAVE the pattern, often...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

the marginal cost of having a garage or driveway over the fact that I
have to have a place to live anyway? zero.

If your house had no garage and no driveway, what would its resale value
be compared to now, considering that all the other houses probably have one?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 20th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Good for our business. Bad for our way of life...

Which is more important?

Ah, therein lies the rub. Without business, we have no way of life,
so I suspect we'll have to continue to "suffer" through this growth
period...

It's amazing, though, the number of long-term corporate stays (30 days
or longer) we've turned away lately. I could easily keep twice as
many suites filled at this time of year, thanks to all the folks
moving to town and looking for homes.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Without business, we have no way of life.

And if there's no decent way of life, there's no point to business.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 20th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Without business, we have no way of life.

And if there's no decent way of life, there's no point to business.

What, you don't eat?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Without business, we have no way of life.
And if there's no decent way of life, there's no point to business.

What, you don't eat?

I can pick your statement apart the same way. Obviously we're referring
to priorities in cartoon form. It is the purpose of business to provide
for a good way of life (for all), not the other way around. Often those
who are already battling alligators in the swamp forget this, and see
business as its own justification. This thinking leads to the strip
malling of America.

That was my only point.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 20th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

The problem is, even for some people who are otherwise interested in
aviation,
the idea of flying a tiny plane around the pattern is neither mystical nor
glorious, it's just boring.

How would you know, you have clearly never done it. Gee, what else have you
given advice on from a position of having no experience?

Old June 20th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I can pick your statement apart the same way. Obviously we're referring
to priorities in cartoon form. It is the purpose of business to provide
for a good way of life (for all), not the other way around. Often those
who are already battling alligators in the swamp forget this, and see
business as its own justification. This thinking leads to the strip
malling of America.

That was my only point.

Sorry, we jumped from micro to macro here, and I didn't keep up.

In the larger sense, I certainly agree with you. However, it's easy
to make the point that there really is no "macro-economics" -- our
economy is really just a bunch of individuals trying to make the best
possible decisions for their families.

In the end, THAT can result in the "strip-malling of America" -- but I
haven't heard of any better alternatives to capitalism.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

All good ideas. I think the reason we don't see airports working more
closely together is because of the way our gummint sets up the
competition for "grants".
At least in Iowa, if Grinnell gets $100K, that's $100K that Iowa City
won't ever see. This creates a quasi-adversarial relationship
between them, and creates a disincentive for the type of cooperation
you describe.

Welllll..... not exactly.

For GA airports, the local entity fronts 5%, the state fronts 5% and the
FAA provides the remaining 90%.

The state aviation organization solicitics requests from each airport
for grants in aid for projects they would like to perform. As part of
this process, the local entity must decide if it has the money to pay
for its share of the project.

The state organization then puts together its list of the most necessary
for safety and local economic reasons and submits it to the FAA for
cosideration. The amount of money the state legislature will give the
state aviation organization to pay for the state's share of the project
is also factored in to the total request the state organization will
make.

The FAA, after much deliberation, comes back with a lump sum AIP
grant-in-aid to the state organization.

The state organization then divies up its grant dollars to the local
airports for their projects based on a ranking of all the project
requests.