Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

Old February 14th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

On Feb 14, 9:36 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
In the U.S., is there any regulation that prescribes a minimum rate of
climb
or descent for changes in altitude during VFR cruise flight?

No, not in terms of VFR cruise.

-c

Old February 14th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR flight.

Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.

Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about 25,000fpm
(needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in terms of
indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many flights would
need to worry about this limitation.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old February 14th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.

Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.

Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

Old February 14th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"John" wrote in message
Not to get into the whole parsing argument but for the subset of flight
known as VFR, there are no climb and descent rules that apply only to VFR
flight. The rules about airspace and operating limits apply to both VFR
and IFR flights.

That's how I viewed the question. The airspace/limits don't specifically
refer to VFR cruise, although cruising under VFR would still make you
subject to broader airspace and operating limits.

-c

Old February 14th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Flydive

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

Well personally I would never try do descent faster than 25,000ftm below
10,000 feet, well actually I wouldn't above either....... ;-)
Old February 14th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Flydive wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.
Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

Well personally I would never try do descent faster than 25,000ftm

below
10,000 feet, well actually I wouldn't above either....... ;-)

Wuss!

Sheesh. It's hard to imagine anything non-military that could do it
anyway! The BD10 was supposed to have had a ROC of 33,000 FPM with the
larger engine, but there can't be much else capable of it.

Bertie

Old February 14th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps. But
feel free to try and let me know the outcome.
Old February 14th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.
Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps.

But
feel free to try and let me know the outcome.

That may change this year....

Bertie
Old February 14th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:
wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.
Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps. But
feel free to try and let me know the outcome.

Not if you and your airplane are massless.
Old February 14th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:
wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.
Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.
Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.
Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

Bertie

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps.
But feel free to try and let me know the outcome.

Not if you and your airplane are massless.

But then you get into the Ultralight regulations on speed.