Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

Old February 15th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 14, 9:36 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
In the U.S., is there any regulation that prescribes a minimum rate of climb
or descent for changes in altitude during VFR cruise flight? If I decide to
make a gradual climb from 4500 to 6500 feet westbound (gradual meaning 200 fpm
or so), is this allowed, or do I have to meet or exceed some minimum rate?
I'm familiar with the regulations that prescribe the proper altitudes to
maintain, but I don't see anything about rates of climb or descent.

Since you are not flying, why do you care? Pick any altitude you like
and type it in, you'll save valuable simulated flying time that way.

Cheers

No.. there are no regulations in Microsoft programming language that
prevent MX from climbing or descending at whatever rate he chooses under
CFR (computer flight rules).
Old February 15th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Michael Ash wrote in
:

In rec.aviation.student Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
flight.

Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.

Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Technically speaking, it is illegal to descend faster than about
25,000fpm (needs to be adjusted based on density, since it's give in
terms of indicated airspeed) when below 10,000ft. I doubt too many
flights would need to worry about this limitation.

Or climb!

Even fewer planes have to worry about that one!

It's interesting to consider that this limit wouldn't even be broken by a
skydiver who hadn't opened his chute yet.

But in fact this can be waived and very frequently is.

It seems just about any of them can be waived if you talk to the right
people and have a good enough case. I guess this one is particularly easy
though.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old February 15th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Michael Ash wrote in
:

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
[...]

Well, in some cases it's taken as a given. Some heavies go faster than
that clean on departure, for instance. But ATC can give on the spot
dispensation for flow control or on request.

Bertie

Old February 15th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 14, 5:50*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in news:abe412d8-9248-4ec1-b5d3-
:

It is an absolute violation to ascend or descend faster 186,000mps.
But
feel free to try and let me know the outcome.

That may change this year....

Bertie-

Hey, look. If you got no wikipedia link on that one I'm sorry but I
just gotta call BS on it.

Well, it's the particle accelerator at CERN in Geneva, They're doing an
experiment this year which could open a wormhole, or make a localised black
hole. they'r enot really sure, which is a bit worring. I didn't see it on
the net, but I'm sure you can find plenty!

Bertie

Einstein needs to be moved out of the way!

Wow. This one I will be looking up for sure. Thanks!
Old February 15th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

And this is an article on the worm hole thing.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/02...ollider-could-
create-wormholes-a-gateway-for-time-travelers/

Bertie-

I love this stuff. I wish I were enough of a mathematician to really
follow the numbers.
Old February 15th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in news:9d78f7d9-155f-4569-ae07-e3bdd3cbdc91
@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

And this is an article on the worm hole thing.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/02...ollider-could-
create-wormholes-a-gateway-for-time-travelers/

Bertie-

I love this stuff. I wish I were enough of a mathematician to really
follow the numbers.

It's pretty mindblowing. you know about Ronald Mallet? Look him up if you
haven't already heard of him.

Bertie
Old February 15th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

WingFlaps writes:

Only true as long as you don't bust airspace or aircraft operating
limitations...

Are there climb/descent rate restrictions for specific airspaces, for VFR
flights operating without ATC restrictions?

I recall that if ATC tells you to climb or descend, you need to be able to do
so at at least 500 fpm, although I don't remember where I read this. However,
if you're VFR in, say, Class B, and ATC has _not_ directed you specifically to
climb or descend, and you decide to change altitude yourself, is there any
regulatory constraint on the rate that you must use?
Old February 15th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

That's how I viewed the question. The airspace/limits don't specifically
refer to VFR cruise, although cruising under VFR would still make you
subject to broader airspace and operating limits.

So are there general limits for climb and descent rates that apply to VFR?

I know there are constraints for climbs and descents directed by ATC, but for
climbs and descents initiated by the pilot on his own (which would usually
apply only to VFR, although there are some IFR examples, too), I can't find a
specific maximum or (especially) minimum.