My 9th Wedding Anniversary Trip, To Newport, OR Carb Ice & Real Engine Out "Long"

Old June 28th 04, 12:06 AM
NW_PILOT

Default My 9th Wedding Anniversary Trip, To Newport, OR Carb Ice & Real Engine Out "Long"

Hello, group the wife and I departed at 12:30pm 06-26-04 ceilings scattered
at 4,900' tops 6,000' & clear at the coast we will be flying over 3,800'
terrain. The trip up was a fun flight almost uneventful was fun weaving
around the clouds will post photos soon. As briefed the clouds were gone
about 10 miles before the coast line.

We flew out over the pacific ocean about 10 miles looking at all the fishing
boats. The asked the wife if she was ready for me to show her a steep turn,
she said ok. She actually wanted to do another after the first one we did a
few other things then decided that we need to land as it is getting close to
the bed and breakfast check in time. The winds at our destination were 220 @
9 G15. I opted for runway 20 was a bit high on a RP. I decided to slip it
in I explained to the wife what I was going to do she was alright with a
slip. We landed checked in with the FBO called the place we were staying at
they picked us up promptly.

The Place we stayed at was The Newly Built Stone Crest Cellar Bed &
Breakfast. Our hostess Judy was a very pleasant upscale lady. If you are
looking to take your wife on a relaxing log cabin castle type paradise
getaway, on the Oregon coast this is the place to go.

The rooms are great the beds are high quality the complementary wine &
appetizers (cheese & crackers, fresh fruit, chocolate truffles & port) are
great. The ocean view's are outstanding from the deck and even better from
their hammock on the bluff. The beach access needs a bit of work but they
are working on it! The bedding & linens are great quality & very
comfortable. Thick comfortable robes are also provided. The sound of the
ocean waves will put you to sleep ASAP.

This morning's breakfast was excellent & consisted of gourmet coffee, tea,
fresh fruit, fresh O.J., wheat toast, and one dam good omelet nothing was
spared, lots of great stuffings and served with a smile. We will definitely
return to The Stone Crest Cellar Bed & Breakfast wish we were able to stay
more than 1 night.

We check out Judy takes us back to the airport about a mile away thanks us &
wishes us a safe trip.

Web address for Stone Crest Cellar Bed & Breakfast
http://www.stonecrestbb.com/

Now the fun begins:

Call in for a weather brief about a half hour prior to getting ot the
airport, Ceilings Scattered 1,600; to 5,500 with mountain's obscured, winds
aloft were light and variable airmass stable. We get fueled up & pre flight,
I program the GPS and fold my chart the way I like it. We depart runway 34
climb up to 6,500 head for the tops of the scatterd clouds. I make the call
to go up to 7,500 It felt more comfortable there and the what a view the
scattered clouds below. I had to climb up to 8,300' to keep cloud clearance
I set up for cruise, a fiew minuits later the engine starts to run a bit
ruff. I go through my checks apply carburetor heat it smoothes out radio to
Seattle center that I have some carburetor ice they ask me for the OAT was
about 45 degrees.

I start to descend down to warmer air all of a sudden at 7,500' I get
silence' the engine quits prop is just wind milling! I pitch for best glide
make sure all my checks are done. I see KMMV and I got plenty of altitude I
know could make if I could not get restarted. I reported to Seattle Center
that I now have an engine out and I may have to be landing other than my
destination and that I have KMMV in site and I am attempting a restart.

At about 4,500' I can hear the engine starting to sputter wanting to fire
back up as I am descending over KMMV at about 3,800' the ice melted engine
regained power burping every now i held altitude until ice was totally gone,
I leave the carburetor heat on, the oil temp started to climb back up to
normal. I wipe the sweet off my forehead, radio to Seattle Center tell them
that I have it restarted and am going to continue on.

Right after I radioed in to Seattle that I got power back another pilot on
flight following was going west bound at 8,500' called Seattle Center asking
them ware I had the carburetor ice at because he wanted to avoid the area.

All I can say is what a trip I never had carburetor ice so bad that the
engine went out what a rush it was and the wife really enjoyed the little 1
day vacation in paradise.

Old June 28th 04, 12:33 AM
BTIZ

nice recovery on getting the engine restarted..

but I would reconsider your decision to continue after you had it
restarted.. how did you know for sure it was carb ice and not bad gas?

perhaps a safety landing at KMMV would have been better..

BT

@

&

Old June 28th 04, 12:38 AM
Tony Cox

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

All I can say is what a trip I never had carburetor ice so bad that the
engine went out what a rush it was and the wife really enjoyed the little

1
day vacation in paradise.

You don't say what plane you were in. Was it by any chance a
carbureted Cessna 172?

Old June 28th 04, 12:50 AM
Tony Cox

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
It was a cessna 150

The reason I ask is that certain model 172's are susceptible to
vapour lock above 5000' & the symptoms you had were identical
to what happened to me some years back (engine cut out at
7500' & restarted on its own after I'd decended to 3800').

Avgas or Mogas?

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old June 28th 04, 01:21 AM
NW_PILOT

I use Avgas

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...
"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
It was a cessna 150

The reason I ask is that certain model 172's are susceptible to
vapour lock above 5000' & the symptoms you had were identical
to what happened to me some years back (engine cut out at
7500' & restarted on its own after I'd decended to 3800').

Avgas or Mogas?

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old June 28th 04, 01:28 AM
Tony Cox

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
I use Avgas

Well, it probably wasn't vapour lock then. Anyway, sounds
as if you did a great job!

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...
"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
It was a cessna 150

The reason I ask is that certain model 172's are susceptible to
vapour lock above 5000' & the symptoms you had were identical
to what happened to me some years back (engine cut out at
7500' & restarted on its own after I'd decended to 3800').

Avgas or Mogas?

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old June 28th 04, 02:03 AM
Bob Gardner

Ten miles out over the ocean in a 150? Life jackets on board? Could you have
glided to the beach? No way to tell what the dew point was at your altitude
(the clouds give us a hint) but you seem to have been in a good location for
carb ice...45 degrees OAT is not insurance against ice. I think you lucked
out.

Bob Gardner

Old June 28th 04, 02:46 AM
Cecil Chapman

Great story!

Yeah that carb ice can be a sneaky little bugger. Both times I experienced
it (the second time it was more severe and the engine went graveyard dead on
a few occasions ) I was in an 'Ice Maiden' g C-152.

Your experience sounds almost identical to my second (more severe) carb ice
incident, except that I opted to do an emergency landing at an airport that
I knew I could easily glide to even if I lost all power. For me, the reason
I did the precautionary landing is that I didn't feel that I had enough
experience to really say it was a carb ice issue I had been dealing with for
certain - even though I was sure of it. So, I opted to land, just in case
there was some other reason that my level of experience didn't permit me to
ferret out the actual cause.

Great job! Glad the Mrs. handled it well, also!

P.S. I may be 'preaching to the choir' at this point and telling you
something you already are aware of, but just in case you, or others reading
your post weren't aware; I did want to mention that carb ice doesn't require
there to be freezing or near freezing temperatures just outside the
aircraft. In fact, outside temps in the seventies with sufficient humidity
will produce carb ice.

In fact, the first time I ever experienced carb ice (less severe than my
second experience) the temperature outside the cabin was in the mid 70's and
it was generally a warm day, with relatively high humidity - that's all it
took...

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old June 28th 04, 03:17 AM
Andrew Gideon

NW_PILOT wrote:

I start to descend down to warmer air all of a sudden at 7,500' I get
silence' the engine quits prop is just wind milling!

You were running with Carb Heat at this point?

- Andrew

4800nm trip complete! SeeAndAvoid Piloting 2 June 19th 04 05:58 PM
Coast to coast trip finished :-) Filip Zawadiak Piloting 6 May 5th 04 08:45 PM
8th-grader wins trip to military jet flight camp Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 16th 04 08:40 PM
First long-distance trip Marc Piloting 2 December 16th 03 04:03 AM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM