O2 cylinder

Old February 6th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default O2 cylinder

On 5 Feb 2006 14:18:32 -0800, "jcarlyle" wrote:

In the United States pressure vessels must be certified to either DOT
or ASME standards. If a pressure vessel to be used in the USA does not
have either DOT or ASME certification, it is illegal to use it, much
less to fill it.

John, can you provide support for that? I'm in the hydraulics
industry, and we have charged (and recharged) accumulators and gas
bottles for years that are neither DOT nor ASME approved. These are
not always old, nor small ... I worked with one gas bottle pressurized
to 3800 psi by N2 which cycles between 4200 and 4800 every 50 seconds
.... with a volume of over 200 gallons. I just commissioned a system
with 2 new (2005 manufacture) 32 liter accumulators that were bought
by others from others, but to which I pressurized. I "trusted" the
ratings stamped on the shell, but they had no approval stamps
(manufacturer offers ASME or TUV as options; neither engineer nor user
requested it). Am _I_ breaking the law?

We constantly wonder when pneumatic cylinders are going to be
considered pressure vessels in the USA; the PED (Pressure Equipment
Directive) of the EU already has criteria.
Old February 6th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jcarlyle wrote:
George, I'm very surprised. All of the pressure vessels I've ever
worked on over the last 30 years that were located inside the USA have
had either DOT or ASME certification. I don't have a reference for you
at the moment, but I've written a note about this issue to a past
president of ASTM to get his input. I'll get back to you with his
response.

Meanwhile, could you tell me exactly what the stamped ratings on the
shell say that you are taking on trust?

-John

Fellas,

Here's the current FAA guidance on the subject: (HBAW 02-01B)
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...300/hbaw/2002/

An excerpt below, but please read the whole bulletin in the link above
as this policy should not be taken out of context. Most IA's will not
sign off an annual on an aircraft with an out-of-date hydro.

"C. Title 49 CFR parts 171 through 180, Hazardous Materials Regulations
(HMR), pertains to the retest and inspection of cylinders in
transportation in commerce. However, cylinders used as components in
aircraft are not considered to be in transportation in commerce when
installed in an aircraft. As a result, the retest period for cylinders
used as a component of and installed in an aircraft is not subject to
the HMR. However, 49 CFR part 180, § 180.205, formerly part 173, §
173.34(e), would apply to a cylinder that is removed from the aircraft
and offered for transportation as an article of commerce. In this case,
the cylinder must include the appropriate exterior packaging and hazard
communication requirements (i.e., shipping papers, marking, and
labeling)."

Jim

Old February 7th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...ors/8300/hbaw/
2002/

An excerpt below, but please read the whole bulletin
in the link above
as this policy should not be taken out of context.
Most IA's will not
sign off an annual on an aircraft with an out-of-date
hydro.

'C. Title 49 CFR parts 171 through 180, Hazardous Materials
Regulations
(HMR), pertains to the retest and inspection of cylinders
in
transportation in commerce. However, cylinders used
as components in
aircraft are not considered to be in transportation
in commerce when
installed in an aircraft. As a result, the retest period
for cylinders
used as a component of and installed in an aircraft
is not subject to
the HMR. However, 49 CFR part 180, =A7 180.205, formerly
part 173, =A7
173.34(e), would apply to a cylinder that is removed
from the aircraft
and offered for transportation as an article of commerce.
In this case,
the cylinder must include the appropriate exterior
packaging and hazard
communication requirements (i.e., shipping papers,
marking, and
labeling).'

Jim

Two observations.

1) This bulletin appears to apply only to type certified
aircraft.
2) Section 1,3,C,3 shown below only requires that non-DOT
cylinders must be tested as per DOT specifications.

'All other cylinders must be inspected and tested as
required by subparagraph 3C(1) above as it applies
to DOT 3HT cylinders unless alternative testing and
inspection procedures are specified by the manufacturer
or referenced authority'.

The bulletin also states that that existing dot requirements
do not apply to aircraft 02 cylinders which makes me
wonder if DOT requirements are only for the transportation
of cylinders. Can anyone come up with the actual DOT
regulation that a non-DOT aircraft 02 cylinder cannot
be legally filled?

Old February 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 6 Feb 2006 07:35:13 -0800, "jcarlyle" wrote:

George, I'm very surprised. All of the pressure vessels I've ever
worked on over the last 30 years that were located inside the USA have
had either DOT or ASME certification. I don't have a reference for you
at the moment, but I've written a note about this issue to a past
president of ASTM to get his input. I'll get back to you with his
response.

Meanwhile, could you tell me exactly what the stamped ratings on the
shell say that you are taking on trust?

Ishould have prefaced my comments with "I work in INDUSTRIAL AND
MOBILE FLUID POWER, not aerospace", so our situations may be very
different. Other than the QA requirements, a hydrotest is a
hydrotest, and I'm not sure that breathing oxygen cylinders for use in
a plane have any different requirements than on the ground ... but I
DON'T KNOW THAT. I have performed a hydrotest on SCUBA cylinders; we
didn't use certified gauges or anything; our criteria was recovery
from 5/3 "rating" confirming plastic deformation was not reached.

They will always have a maximum working pressure stamped in either PSI
or bar. They will often have a minimum termperature.

I did a little digging and find that most today for US use design to
Section VIII Div 1 and either stamp (U) all or upon premium payment
(which I suspect is an indicator of QA costs).

I found that those with IDs of less than 6" do not fall under ASME
criteria. That appears insignificant as the "standard" for common
bladder accumulators is 9" OD; I'm sure the shells are under 1/2 inch.

A quick look at Tobul, Vickers, and Hydac suggest they routinely stamp
theirs. Parker has an extra charge for it.

What I have _NEVER_ seen is one subjected to hydrotest.

MOST of what I run into are between 1 and 15 gallon, either 2000,
3000, or 5000 psi "rated", and of diaphram, bladder, or piston
construction. ALL use N2 as the specified gas. I've had customers
use Argon against my recommendation.

Have a good week,

George
Old February 7th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--
Gary Evans" wrote in message
[...]

The legalities notwithstanding, is there a "real" safety problem with a
steel cylinder that is not retested ?

This is, after all, a life suppport system.

It seems clear that as long as the cyl is in the plane, it is probably legal
to fill it

How safe is it? What is the probability of a good looking 15 year old O2
cylinder failing a hydrotest?
If it fails is it by definition unsafe (technical but not significant
failure) --could this happen?

Thanks

Hartley Falbaum

Old February 7th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 17:12 07 February 2006, Hl Falbaum wrote:

--
Gary Evans' wrote in message
[...]

I didn't raise the question to determine if hydo testing
could be avoided. Everyone should have their tank tested
regardless of its DOT status, I did mine. I was rather
asking the question because most everyone assumes DOT
approval is required for legal filling and from what
I have read that point is at least questionable. I
had once tried to search for such a DOT requirement
with no luck so If anyone has the specific reg please
post it.

Old February 7th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary Evans wrote:

[...]

I'm under the impression that the cylinders we use in our gliders are
NOT classified as aircraft components, but are, instead, considered
"portable" equipment. To be aircraft components, the glider would have
to be certified with an oxygen system, and none of them are. What we do
is (I believe) no different than the airplane pilot that carries on a
cloth bag with the cylinder and regulator in it, then uses the seat belt
to strap it down next to him. In other words, our gliders do not have
oxygen systems in them, just carry-on baggage that happens to be an
oxygen system.

If true, then the cylinders have to meet the regulations for carrying
these cylinders around in cars, busses, etc, which would be DOT
regulations.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

www.motorglider.org
Old February 7th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You are CORRECT
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old February 7th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hartley, On the question of "fitness for service" - a 15 year old
"good looking" cylinder could easily fail a hydrotest! The failure
probablility depends on factors such as (a) was it properly stress
relieved after it was made, (2) how often has it been cycled (filled,
refilled), (3) are there any inclusions in the metal, or any laps or
scratches on the interior, (3) are any small patches of corrosion
present on the inside, (4) were the neck threads cut properly. None of
these things will affect the cylinder's "looks" in any way, but they
will most certainly affect its ultimate life. The only way to find out
if there is stress corrosion cracking or fatigue cracking is to do a
hydrotest or an ultrasonic test (which is what I was doing for
customers).

As far as legalites go, the ex-ASTM president is still looking into the
question for me. However, I did a quick web search and turned up the
following relevant sites:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/ed3ccb2b0c40bdad86256abf006f380c/$FILE/8000-40.pdf
This is FAA 8000.40D, "Maintenance of Pressure Vessels in Use as
Aircraft Equipment". Paragraph 6C is relevant one, and is as Gary Evans
stated above in his 2nd paragraph.

http://www.gawda.org/eSeries/Custome.../DOT/tab13.pdf
This is a summary of 49 CFR 173 that the Gases and Welding Distributors
Association offers to its members. Near the front, under Use and
Qualification of Cylinders, they say "49 CFR, §180 establishes the
requirements for the use and qualification of cylinders. A company may
not charge a cylinder that is out of test, leaks, has a bulge, has
defective valves or pressure relief devices, shows evidence of physical
abuse, fire or heat damage, or shows evidence of detrimental rusting or
corrosion."

Problem is, when I looked at 49 CFR 180 he
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr180_99.html I
couldn't find anything that dealt with cylinders! If I could have, it
would have been the legal requirement we have been seeking!

Now, under Requirements for Filling and Shipping, they say 14 CFR
173.302 governs. That you can find he
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...99&TY PE=TEXT

I got totally lost in the formatting of this regulation, but near the
bottom, after the wall stress limitation table, the regulations says
"That an external and internal visual examination made at the time of
test or retest shows the cylinder to be free from excessive corrosion,
pitting, or dangerous defects.". This might also be part of a legal
requirement that you can't refill unless you test the cylinder, but to
me it seems an exercise in circular reference with 49 CFR 180

Maybe someone better versed in reading CFRs can give an opinion. To me,
it's as clear as mud!

-John

Old February 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 18:06 07 February 2006, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Gary Evans wrote:

[...]

Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

www.motorglider.org

There seems to be consensus (FAA included) that DOT
regs do not apply to a 02 cylinder in an aircraft so
what about in your car? As I read DOT regs on pressure
cylinders they apply to cylinders in transportation
in commerce. The definition of commerce is 'the exchange
or buying and selling of commodies on a large scale
involving transportation from place to place.'
Transporting your own 02 cylinder would not fit this
definition.
Am I missing something? I still haven't found a reg
that makes it illegal to fill your personal non-DOT
02 cylinder.

Bad cylinder Denny Owning 17 September 12th 05 06:04 PM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Piloting 47 July 4th 05 10:53 PM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Aerobatics 20 June 29th 05 09:35 AM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Home Built 22 June 29th 05 09:35 AM
Start Anywhere Cylinder (SSA rules proposal) Mark Navarre Soaring 15 September 25th 03 01:13 PM