Pegase diferent models?

Old February 6th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pegase diferent models?

Hi,
What are the Pegase models (like 99 and 101) and what are the diference
between them?

Old February 6th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Avron wrote:
Hi,
What are the Pegase models (like 99 and 101) and what are the diference
between them?

101 - Hotelier connections all round, fixed landing gear
101p - as 101 but with removable winglets
101a - as 101 but with retractable landing gear
101ap- as 101p but with retractable landing gear

101b - as 101a but with a carbon spar
101d - as 101b but with automatic connection for the elevator

90 - same as 101d but with automatic connection for all controls
and a raising panel.

Details for the 101, 101p, 101a, 101ap are from the 1983 pilot manual.
All carry water ballast.

Details for the 101b and d are from the Sailplane directory: I think
these are suspect because it also describes a Pegase Club model as
having fixed gear and no water ballast provision.

Details for the 90 are from personal experience: my club has one that I
flew for two years with and without ballast. It is a very nice,
comfortable glider.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old February 7th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

All,

Do I remember right that all the Pegasus models have an absolute limit of
3000 hours, after which they will be legally unflyable? Or am I confused
about this? Something about the manufacturer has to approve life limit
extensions, but since Centrair is out of business, there's no one to do it?

Think I saw an ad for one recently at just over 3K hrs: good luck getting a
new AC for that one.

Old February 7th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 3000 hr. life limit was discussed in a previous thread. My findings
were reported there, but in a nutshell:

Greg Davison from the FAA in OK City has ben working with the people
who support the Centrair line in France to come up with a 3,000 hr
inspection protocol that will allow the Pegase models to continue
flying. Othe glider manufacturers like Schleicher have a 3000 hr
inspection that must be performed (think of it like an annual on
steroids) to retain an Airworthiness Certificate. The inspection is
extensive- it could cost several hundred dollars and require
substantial disassembly of things like ailerons etc.

Centrair did not have this provision when the glider was first
certified in the US. They are working on it now, and according to Greg
(he was at the SSA convention in Arlington this weekend) it should be
available this spring. If it is not, he said (without elaborating) that
other options may be considered. He stressed that the FAA has no desire
to ground (and render worthless) an entire fleet for something like
this.

I tried to get him to reconsider in the case of the PW-5, but no luck.
Just kidding. I hope the PeeWee crowd has a sense of humor. But of
course, they have to.

Anyway, if I had the money, I'd probably buy all the overtime Pegase
gliders and wait for the new AD to come out and bump the selling price
up to market value.

BTW, as far as I know, all 101A models have the instrument panel that
lifts with the canopy. There is also a 101C model that was made for the
World Championships. One sold out of Moriarty earlier this year. It has
provision for six water ballast bags instead of the normal two or four.
I'm not sure about any other differences, except for the winglets. And
those are so huge that they almost need their own trailer.

Mark628CA

Old February 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old February 8th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mark628CA wrote:
[...]

We've also had a French speaking member of our club chat with the
Centrair folks a bit too. We have 3 101A's in our fleet (that's half
the fleet) and between the 3,000 ruling and waiting on a replacement
aileron, things are getting ugly. Last season it was the rudder pedals.

Jeremy