Wacky Tracky

Old June 4th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Wacky Tracky

I lost GPS signal south of Elko for about 50 miles today. The signal would come in and out, not sure if I was on the north edge of some jamming. I have never had any problems in that area before.
Old June 4th 16, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Do we need it? No.
Do crew/family like it? Yes
Should we be prepared for a remote off airport landing and possible hike? Yes

To keep on track, the original question was only, "hey, GPS/tracking quit, is it my hardware or a signal issue?".
Nothing more, nothing less. Please keep the crap out of the thread.

Thanks.

Have a great day. ;-)
Old June 5th 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Conditions permitting, I'll be flying out of Minden tomorrow towards
Ely. I'll report back if I experience GPS dropouts.

--
Dan, 5J

Old June 5th 16, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

+1 Noel. A welcome bit of tough love. Just a shame that the message never gets through to those that need to hear it most

CJ
Old June 5th 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes CJ thats what I say most every day reading these posts
Old June 5th 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Candid Sky Productions

Agree Noel, but the swearing doesn't bother me. :-) A couple things, people need to grow up and be able to take advice when it's given that way. Not take it as it's always an attack. Also I agree with the eagerness to be critical. Seems like more and more of the big dollar, every bell and whistle people think just because they have the best of the best they can spout out at folks and be critical. Happens in other areas of sport, hobby and life also just not soaring. Dealing with snotty spoiled people is nothing new. And the internet has brought on a new forum for that because they are much tougher behind the computer screen than in person. And when it comes to a face to face confrontation well let me tell you from experience they turn into 'minnie mouse" Oh of course they would never admit that online or to anyone :-) You guys have a good weekend soaring and be safe.
Old June 5th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Sorry if the subject "Wacky Tracky" was a bit too serious.

Delorme tech support said they had a server problem on the 2nd.
Unsure what troubled SPOT, no longer have an account to ask them about.

Discovered the APRS no longer works because the drinking water supply was increased from 4 liters to 6, and apparently that shields the 2m stubby antenna.
Hope that doesn't start a new argument, as in the old days we never carried that much drinking water.
Jim
Old June 5th 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good one Jim lol, back in the good old days we just did like George M and AJ and climbed into the Cu's and held our mouth open for a drink

As to APRS as you, but many others, might not know, the system is dependant upon the operational ability of the various amateur radio repeaters in a given area. Some places the system works great, others there is spotty coverage. The system however is great to use to get site specific wx info utilizing the various personal wx stations that many hams (amateur radio operators) have tied into the system. For those running the east coast ridges, it might be helpfull to locate stations along the intended course. The web page map for the aprs system shows them all in real time.

Being a proponent for non-dependance on modern tec does not mean anti tec nor does it mean the "good ole days" were the best. There's many a day back then when i wished for a 50/1 L/d and an actively updating flight computer with wind info while trying to scrape home on a final glide. One advantage however was I did loose a good deal of weight sweating
Old June 5th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here is one of the links to the APRS system http://aprs.fi/#!addr=LAS%20VEGAS&mt...timerange=3600
Old June 6th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Saturday, 4 June 2016 15:10:49 UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
I lost GPS signal south of Elko for about 50 miles today. The signal would come in and out, not sure if I was on the north edge of some jamming. I have never had any problems in that area before.

6/4 had GPS jamming out of China Lake. There is much activity out of that location and can affect areas up to 475 NM at high altitudes.

A wacky idea Ramapriya Piloting 15 November 16th 04 05:22 PM
Wacky instrument question.... Frode Berg Owning 5 May 28th 04 08:44 AM
Wacky question-plane and bass!! Frode Berg Piloting 8 May 18th 04 11:23 PM