Unusual Distractions

Old July 12th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Unusual Distractions

Tina wrote:
Didn't Ernest Gann, (spelling screwed up?) in one of his books talk
about a captain lighting matches under the nose of his first officer
while the FO was flying in bad weather or an approach or something, as
a way of teaching concentration?

"Fate is the Hunter", toward the front of the book.

Well, if you had a choice of distractions. . . .

Old July 12th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_2_]

"Tina" wrote in message
ups.com...
Didn't Ernest Gann, (spelling screwed up?) in one of his books talk
about a captain lighting matches under the nose of his first officer
while the FO was flying in bad weather or an approach or something, as
a way of teaching concentration?

Well, if you had a choice of distractions. . . .

Good Point, now as an Instrument instructor, and an Ernest Gann fan, how
can I incorporate this into a lesson plan?

Al G

Old July 12th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old July 13th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
IBM 486SX/20. Windows 3.1, 4MB RAM, 1 3 1/2" floppy, and one
5 1/4" floppy. 129MB HD. All still works, and can get it in VGA mode.

I'm golden.

Oh, Mr. Fancypants IBM. _Some_ of us made do with a Cyrix 486DX2 and a
Cirrus Tech video adapter.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think another round of Epic Pinball is in order.

TheSmokingGnu
Old July 13th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:33:46 -0700, TheSmokingGnu
wrote:

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
IBM 486SX/20. Windows 3.1, 4MB RAM, 1 3 1/2" floppy, and one
5 1/4" floppy. 129MB HD. All still works, and can get it in VGA mode.

I'm golden.

Oh, Mr. Fancypants IBM. _Some_ of us made do with a Cyrix 486DX2 and a
Cirrus Tech video adapter.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think another round of Epic Pinball is in order.

Timex/Sinclair ZX81 with cassette tape flight sim. A block and 4
underlines. Man those were the days......
Old July 13th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DougS

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 11, 10:14 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Have you ever tried flight with a beautiful girl sitting next to you?

Yes. I've done all sorts of things with a beautiful girl next to me.

If not, how can you be sure it wouldn't be a distraction?

I've done it, and it's not a distraction, particularly if you want to
come
back alive (although my flights are simulated, so that's less of an
issue--but
I still don't feel particularly distracted).

You are thoroughly insane, or else a lifeless dork.

Remove the "or" and replace it with "and."

Old July 13th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Doug Semler writes:

Wow. I am speechless. You would rather have a human thing ****ed off
at you for failing to give him/her attention than give up your "flight
time".

Correct.
Old July 13th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

There is a big difference between personal comments and common
knowledge. Common Knowledge: you live in Paris. Common knowledge: your
knowledge of aviation and flying is as limited as a prostitute's
knowledge of quantum physics.

What correlation is there between prostitution and knowledge of quantum
physics?

You said it yourself, that you have no
interest in dealing with the opposite sex and would rather sit at your
simulator all day/night long.

Sounds good to me.

I just pointed out the irony of that with the city of Paris.

Paris is not a bordello.

I have a life, including a significant other.

I have a life, also, but it excludes a significant other.

While I may not
have as much experience as others here, I do possess a steady
knowledge of aviation and flying; not as much as those who do it here
for a living, but enough for them to realize that I am learning, and
not assuming that anything simulated is real.

In other words, you're not a pilot, but you salivate when a pilot rings a
bell, so that's okay.

Bottom line: you want respect with this group of people who
have the experience you keep blasting and claim that their experience
is wrong, you have to earn it.

I don't care about respect, only information. I don't blast people; those who
might arguably be worthy of blasting usually do enough damage to themselves,
anyway.

But once again, I digress..

Yes, once again. It would be nice if you would limit yourself to the topic at
hand, however much I fascinate or intimidate you personally.
Old July 13th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Just another bunch of your lies again, like saying you didn't have a blog.

You see, you're exaggerating again. I'm not a liar, so calling me one is
quite an exaggeration. And I've never had a blog.

You have also stated in this NG that you are afraid of stalls and other
maneuvers including acro, yet these are all part of flying (steep turns and
stalls).

Steep turns and stalls are not aerobatics, and I'm not afraid of them per se.
I just don't like extreme maneuvers; they increase risk.