Introducing NJ's Newest Soaring Club!

Old February 21st 05, 11:13 PM
Jim Buckridge

Default Introducing NJ's Newest Soaring Club!

Introducing New Jersey's newest (and friendliest) soaring Club!

Who: Hawk Valley Soaring
What: Soaring Soaring Soaring
When: Weekends starting April 2nd (earlier if mud disappears) plus
Fridays during the summer months
Whe Somerset Airport (KSMQ) in Bedminster (minutes from where I-78
and I-287 intersect)
Why: Because it's fun!

Founded last spring, HVS is registered with Soaring Society of America.
While its own entity, we are virtually partners with the
Somerset-based commercial operator Fly for Fun. We are a
"non-instructing club" open to all post-solo students or beyond.
The fleet currently consists of a 1-26 and a 1-23, with immediate
future plans for a two place ship once membership numbers allow for it.

With about 10 flying members (two of them CFIGs) going into our first
full season, we welcome all newcomers. Monthly meetings are held at
local restaurants on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7pm. Our next
meeting, on March 8th, will be held at Cryan's in North Branch. In
addition to monthly meetings, there are plans for informal BBQs and an
annual family BBQ featuring llamas!!! Yes, that's right. Llamas.

For those of you who already have your power rating, consider the
glider rating add-on. FAA minimum is 10 solo flights before the
checkride. No written is required. No medical is required to fly
gliders. Fly for Fun will provide the instruction (in 2-33s) and once
you have a bunch of solos you are ready to transition to the club-owned
1-26. Several of our members are power pilots (two of them Cessna
owners) and would happily help you during your transition to powerless
flight. Being part of a soaring club has to be one of the must
inexpensive ways to fly. Learn to love the turbulent air! It's a
source of lift, not a nuisance :-)

Personally, I consider myself lucky to be a part of this club and the
Somerset soaring community. A great bunch of folks with the focus on
the two most important aspects of soaring: safety first and fun second!

For information email me directly at or check
out
http://www.hawkvalleysoaring.com
http://www.flyforfun.org

Safe flying!

Old February 22nd 05, 02:28 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Hey Jim,

Part of the website (Standard Operating Procedures) still mentions Fly for
Fun. Is this the same company with a new name, or is Fly for Fun now gone?
There was a club called Hawk Valley at SMQ years ago, run by Lou and
Carleton Rehr. I know they're now in Hawaii, so presumably not associated
any more. What's the history of the new club?

ps.com...

Old February 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
Jim Buckridge

Fly for Fun is name of the commercial operator. They are still there
-- providing tows, instruction, and scenic rides.

Hawk Valley Soaring's history? Well, it doesn't have much of one.
Last year, a bunch of guys that soar out of Somerset thought it was
time for our very own Somerset based club. After we picked the name
someone mentioned the old Hawk Valley run by Lou and Carlton. They're
not involved at all but I'm sure they'd be happy to see the name
resurrected. The 1-23 we purchased from Van Sant last April. The 1-26
(we call her "Orange") is the 1-26 that was sitting there unused for
years next to the tow planes. She's in great shape. The previous
owner gave us a great price knowing that it would remain part of a
Somerset based club. He's glad to see her flying again. For an
suprisingly small amount of money we got two gliders and a trailer that
can be used for either.

Stop on over once you see us operating. The runway seems in pretty
good shape for this time of year.

Jim

XC/racing oriented soaring club near St Louis Kirk Stant Soaring 2 November 6th 04 10:23 PM
Soaring Club in Naples FL? Mike Schumann Soaring 5 September 13th 04 11:01 PM
All Soaring Club Members Slick Soaring 2 August 10th 04 09:03 AM
Adrian Soaring Club to observe Day of Mourning 12/17? LarSwan Soaring 3 November 24th 03 09:34 AM