PowerFlarm @ Mifflin

Old May 17th 12, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm @ Mifflin

We had a bunch of PF bricks flying for the first time yesterday. One
is in my cockpit. Notwithstanding my inability to get around the
course (I had distinguished company today), the device appears to be
working well. I had one collision warning of about 2 seconds duration
(it was warranted), and had flarm targets on screen more often than
not, extreme range about 6 miles.

While thermaling, targets beyond perhaps 3 miles would disappear at 5
o'clock and reappear at 7 like clockwork [groan here] and this likely
reflects attenuation of signal through my thick, water filled head
(see "Inability to complete task", above). Range is certainly more
than adequate for anti-collision information.

I'm using the Butterfly 57mm display, and it's small for the task.
the anti-collision display is good, the text associated with benign
targets is hard to read in rough air. Visibility is adequate.

PCAS seems to work fine as well.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 17th 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Thanks for the report Evan. As a contest pilot who's been waiting patiently for PF to come on line, I'm delighted to hear that it finally has.

Was the rectanglar PF display also available at Mifflin?
Does the rectangular display provide better viewing perhaps?
Old May 17th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Steve Koerner" wrote in message
Thanks for the report Evan. As a contest pilot who's been waiting patiently
for PF to come on line, I'm delighted to hear that it finally has.

Was the rectanglar PF display also available at Mifflin?
Does the rectangular display provide better viewing perhaps?

________________

Steve, Good questions. Yes the rectangular displays for the PowerFLARM
Brick are also being used at Mifflin. The PowerFLARM Brick is supplied with
either of the 2 displays shown in the links below - or without any display
(connected to a ClearNav or LX9000 or Oudie, etc.). The rectangular display
has the same size screen, but the bottom is not blocked by the knob (the
knob only very slightly blocks the bottom of the display in the Display57
version - it really doesn't seem to get in the way of anything). The 2
displays are functionally identical - other than the use of 1 knob on the
rectangular version and 2 concentric knobs on the 57 mm version. The
screens display exactly the same information. The displays are also the
same size as the display in the PowerFLARM Portable - but the user-interface
is a little different than the user-interface in the Portable. I find the
display size to be fine, but I have only flown with a PowerFLARM Portable so
far. I have played with the rectangular and Display57 versions in my
office - connected to my PowerFLARM Portable. Like the PowerFLARM Portable,
the user-interface is extremely simple - it is very easy to use.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm...k-Display-Rect
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm...rick-Display57

I'm still updating my FLARM page with many new cable accessories. I hope to
have it done later today.

Best regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 17th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
km

On May 17, 9:19*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
"Steve Koerner" wrote in message

Thanks for the report Evan. *As a contest pilot who's been waiting patiently
for PF to come on line, I'm delighted to hear that it finally has.

Was the rectanglar PF display also available at Mifflin?
Does the rectangular display provide better viewing perhaps?

*________________

Steve, *Good questions.

I'm still updating my FLARM page with many new cable accessories. *I hope to
have it done later today.

Best regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Ive been using the portable for a couple of flights now and so far so
good. Even tried it in a power (Yuk) airplane with good results. Two
questions I have are; Can I remotely mount the portable and buy a
display (Or pipe it into my Oudie) and, Is my flarm going to be
useless for the purposes of dataloggoging/recording ?

Old May 17th 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Thanks Paul.

My follow-up question then relates to use with ClearNav. I'd really rather not try to shoehorn something new on my panel if the ClearNav will do the job. Any comments on the ClearNav PF functionality?
Old May 17th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"km" wrote in message
[...]

_________________________

Yes. The PowerFLARM remote displays work exactly the same with the
PowerFLARM Portable as they work with the PowerFLARM Brick. I have
Butterfly Display57 units in stock and will have the rectangular displays
again very soon.

The PowerFLARM will have flight recorder functionality in the near future.
It will later be IGC approved. The upgrade is easily done using a microSD
memory card.

Paul Remde

Old May 17th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Thanks Paul.

My follow-up question then relates to use with ClearNav. I'd really rather
not try to shoehorn something new on my panel if the ClearNav will do the
job. Any comments on the ClearNav PF functionality?

________________________
Hi Steve,

I look forward to learning more about ClearNav support for PowerFLARM data
from ClearNav in the near future. It is my understanding that the ClearNav
can currently display FLARM traffic. I will have cables on my web site
later today for connecting a PowerFLARM Portable or Brick to the ClearNav's
Nexus board. FLARM very recently published the data output specification
for the output of ADS-B and ModeC/S traffic from the PowerFLARM products.
Therefore, ClearNav should be able to implement software upgrades to support
the display of that data on the ClearNav. I don't know when that will be.

I highly recommend the use of a PowerFLARM remote display mounted as high as
possible on your panel. It is simple, intuitive, urgent and small and it
displays all traffic types. The rectangular version should fit nicely into
most gliders. It can be mounted on the rim of the glare shield cover, or on
a small RAM mount (shown on my web site).

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 17th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Just stumbled into this product on segelflug.de to interconnect various devices, including PDAs and Android.
Profits support the XCSoar program.
Jim

http://www.soartronic.com/

We have developed low-cost electronics to
connect FLARM devices, variometers and
loggers with PDAs and Android phones
running soaring computer software like
XCSoar, Winpilot etc. This is a non-
commercial project of glider pilots and
electronics hobbyists, and the original
idea was to support XCSoar development
team.

For more information please visit our web
page or send email us.
Old May 17th 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Follow up after another day... of big fur ball thermals... PFlarm
absolutely rocks.

More later, time for a beer.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 18th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
km

Yes. *The PowerFLARM remote displays work exactly the same with the
PowerFLARM Portable as they work with the PowerFLARM Brick. *I have
Butterfly Display57 units in stock and will have the rectangular displays
again very soon.

The PowerFLARM will have flight recorder functionality in the near future..
It will later be IGC approved. *The upgrade is easily done using a microSD
memory card.

Paul Remde

Thanks for the response. I updated the FLARM when I got it (From the
website with the SD Card which was included in the shipment) and I was
under the impression that it would take a hardware upgrade to be
secure. If I can upgrade without new hardware this would be good. I
would like to use it to drive a V7 someday and maybe finish the badges
and a state record.