Oshkosh ATC - really picking up

Old July 23rd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

Default Oshkosh ATC - really picking up

I'll try again, this time hitting tab instead of send.

Sunday 3:30 EDST, and for the last half hour or so, the frequency has been
non stop busy.

For those interested, I'm listening to http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

Click on the Oshkosh selection, in the top 20 feeds.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FlipSide

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:39:11 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

I'll try again, this time hitting tab instead of send.

Sunday 3:30 EDST, and for the last half hour or so, the frequency has been
non stop busy.

For those interested, I'm listening to http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

Click on the Oshkosh selection, in the top 20 feeds.

Some of it seems a little intimidating but ultimately learnable.

What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
what are they?
Old July 24th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

wrote:

I'll try again, this time hitting tab instead of send.

Sunday 3:30 EDST, and for the last half hour or so, the frequency has

been
non stop busy.

For those interested, I'm listening to

http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

Click on the Oshkosh selection, in the top 20 feeds.

Some of it seems a little intimidating but ultimately learnable.

What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
what are they?

What section are you looking at? I see no pink or orange dots.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
what are they?

The controllers are refering to spots on the runway that they want the
aircraft to land on. This allows some to land long and some to land
short simultaneously, greatly increasing the number of arrivals that
they can handle. Should be mentioned in the NOTAM he

http://www.airventure.org/2006/flying/notam06.pdf

Ahh. I did not see the dots on the web site I referenced, so I did not
realize he was talking about the dots on the runway.

For the responder, the dots are there to make it real quick to tell the
pilots where they want the planes to touch down. Rather than saying "Fly
down the runway, until you have passed the 3rd taxiway intersection," they
can say "land on the orange dot" and it is quickly seen and understood.

This is done so planes coming in close together can land and slow further
apart, safely. It is amazing, how well it works.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FlipSide

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:35:00 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'll try again, this time hitting tab instead of send.

Sunday 3:30 EDST, and for the last half hour or so, the frequency has

been
non stop busy.

For those interested, I'm listening to

http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

Click on the Oshkosh selection, in the top 20 feeds.

Some of it seems a little intimidating but ultimately learnable.

What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
what are they?

What section are you looking at? I see no pink or orange dots.

I was listening to ATC this morning and heard the controller referring
to the dots. I didn't realize from the short time I listened that
these were on the runway. I assumed they were somewhere around the
airport.

Old July 25th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

wrote:

I'll try again, this time hitting tab instead of send.

Sunday 3:30 EDST, and for the last half hour or so, the frequency has been
non stop busy.

For those interested, I'm listening to http://www.liveatc.net/topfeeds.php

Click on the Oshkosh selection, in the top 20 feeds.

Some of it seems a little intimidating but ultimately learnable.

It is no place for a pilot who always flys a stabilized pattern. The
tell when to turn, where to turn and where to land. You may end up
flying over some one or having some one fly over you. They land up to
3 at a time.

What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
what are they?

Spots on the runway The different colors are usually different shapes
as well.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com.
Old July 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Roger" wrote in message ...
: On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:10:10 -0400, FlipSide wrote:
: : It is no place for a pilot who always flys a stabilized pattern. The
: tell when to turn, where to turn and where to land. You may end up
: flying over some one or having some one fly over you. They land up to
: 3 at a time.
:
:
: What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
: what are they?
:
: Spots on the runway The different colors are usually different shapes
: as well.
:
: Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
: (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)

Saw a Mooney who was cleared for takeoff on 09 just sitting there. He then asked the controller if he was cleared for
takeoff...twice! There was a 337 on final. The controller finally got it through to the guy that, yes, you are cleared
for takeoff. The Mooney then started rolling, just about as the 337 was on short final. The 337 was told to go around,
and the controller told the Mooney to not rotate until told to do so. The Moony rolled on down, the 337 finally overtook
it, maybe 50' agl and just off the right side of the runway. The controller then said good job Mooney as he let them
rotate and get out. Amazing how cool and controlled the controller was - his voice did raise a bit during all this, but
he was smooth. The controllers are the glue...

....When they get back to their normal O'Hare or La Guardia jobs they probably feel bored... ;-)

Old July 28th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

..
Saw a Mooney who was cleared for takeoff on 09 just sitting there. He then asked the controller if he was cleared for
takeoff...twice! There was a 337 on final. The controller finally got it through to the guy that, yes, you are cleared
for takeoff. The Mooney then started rolling, just about as the 337 was on short final. The 337 was told to go around,
and the controller told the Mooney to not rotate until told to do so. The Moony rolled on down, the 337 finally overtook
it, maybe 50' agl and just off the right side of the runway. The controller then said good job Mooney as he let them
rotate and get out. Amazing how cool and controlled the controller was - his voice did raise a bit during all this, but
he was smooth. The controllers are the glue...

...When they get back to their normal O'Hare or La Guardia jobs they probably feel bored... ;-)

Yea, I saw that one as well. I happened to look up when the controller
was telling him that he would call his rotation...(not a common
instruction!).

Gotta love OSH...

Old July 28th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:45:42 GMT, ".Blueskies."
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message ...

I never have gotten that link to OSH ATC to work on any of these
computers.

: On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:10:10 -0400, FlipSide wrote:
: : It is no place for a pilot who always flys a stabilized pattern. The
: tell when to turn, where to turn and where to land. You may end up
: flying over some one or having some one fly over you. They land up to
: 3 at a time.
:
:
: What are the pink and orange dots? I know they are checkpoints but
: what are they?
:
: Spots on the runway The different colors are usually different shapes
: as well.
:
: Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
: (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)

Saw a Mooney who was cleared for takeoff on 09 just sitting there. He then asked the controller if he was cleared for

Yup. That's another thing. Have *everything* for departure and at
least the first 10 miles all in place before starting to taxi. When
they say go they mean go. When you pull into place you are expected to
be going in just seconds.

Old July 28th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 27 Jul 2006 19:25:13 -0700, wrote:

.
[...]

That would be really interesting in the Deb. When it's ready to fly
it is going to fly. If you try to hold it on you'll end up riding on
the nose gear. Retrimming is not a viable option for two reasons. The
trim is very coarse. In level flight a bit over a 1/4" movement of the
trim wheel will either lift you out of the seat or give about 2Gs. The
second reason is that coarse trim wheel is under and forward of the
bottom edge of the panel. You have to instinctually know where it is
and you have to lean over a bit to reach it. Something I'd not want
to do while trying to hold it on the runway.

The only real alternative would be to back off on the power and hold
it just under rotation speed, then go full power when given the OK.