Turbo Lance II opinions

Old August 24th 05, 02:49 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:19:14 -0400, "John Doe"
wrote:

TC,

Thanks. That's what I'm worried about. It only has an EGT gauge and
nothing to monitor CHT or TIT, etc.

Is there going to be problems getting parts for the turbo system ?

Honestly, have been out of the GA game for several years.
Historically, the exhaust components were available from Lycoming
(they are engine-specific, not airframe specific). Can't remember
having any issues finding an aircraft turbo overhauler that didn't
have the capabilities to do the turbo.

Also, bear in mind that unless things have changed, there is an
AD-mandated recurring 100 hr exhaust inspection (referencing a
Lycoming SB-499 I think). To do this inspection properly takes some
time, and will periodically require some on-condition parts
replacement.

TC
Old August 26th 05, 06:31 PM
Oracle

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:44:12 +0000, Mike Rapoport wrote:

You could interpret a manual wastegate as something that you have more
control over or you could say that it just provides more workload :-). The
Turbo Lance wastegate is attacked to the throttle linkage and works pretty
well. The best system is a compensated automatic wastegate but that is
considerably more expensive and complex.

Mike
MU-2

"John Doe" wrote in message
I found some readings that said the Turbo Lance has a fixed wastegate and
that there are other systems out there that have a manual wastegate that
allows the pilot to better control the turbo.

How much of this is really a factor and should I really care?

On cars, the waste gate is basically a variable rate spring inside a
metered valve. As the pressure increases, the valve opens...as it
decreases, the valve closes. The valve releases excessive pressure within
the turbo, thusly preventing overboost. On cars, they are simplistic. I'm
not sure how much is different between a waste gate on a car and a waste
gate on a plane.

Having said all that, I'm 100% sure I would not own a turbocharged
anything that did not have an automatic wastegate on it.

Greg

Old August 26th 05, 06:33 PM
Oracle

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:44:12 +0000, Mike Rapoport wrote:

You could interpret a manual wastegate as something that you have more
control over or you could say that it just provides more workload :-). The
Turbo Lance wastegate is attacked to the throttle linkage and works pretty
well. The best system is a compensated automatic wastegate but that is
considerably more expensive and complex.

As should also add, I would imagine that a turbo-normalized engine has a
much more complex wastegate. That's obviously a guess on my part.

Greg

Old August 27th 05, 09:55 PM
Mike Rapoport

newsan.2005.08.26.17.31.58.160929@asdf...

"John Doe" wrote in message
I found some readings that said the Turbo Lance has a fixed wastegate and
that there are other systems out there that have a manual wastegate that
allows the pilot to better control the turbo.

How much of this is really a factor and should I really care?

On cars, the waste gate is basically a variable rate spring inside a
metered valve. As the pressure increases, the valve opens...as it
decreases, the valve closes. The valve releases excessive pressure within
the turbo, thusly preventing overboost. On cars, they are simplistic. I'm
not sure how much is different between a waste gate on a car and a waste
gate on a plane.

Having said all that, I'm 100% sure I would not own a turbocharged
anything that did not have an automatic wastegate on it.

Greg

The difference is that the airplane wastegate should compensate for
different altitudes.

Mike
MU-2

Old August 30th 05, 04:50 AM
John Doe

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

"John Doe" wrote in message
news

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
My first airplane was a 79 Turbo Lance. I bought it for the roomy cabin
for my dogs, reasonably fast cruise and fairly good altitude capibility.
It was a releative bargin compared to other six place, 170+kt, turbo
airplanes. I found it to be a good airplane for me and it met my
expectations. Mine had most of the availible speed mods and an
intercooler which I recommend. I only had if for about 16 months so I
can't tell you what the long term cost of ownership would be.

Mike
MU-2

I must admit that I'm not very smart on the turbo options. This would be
my
first turbo engine.

I've seen some Lance's advertised with Turbo and then there are some that
specifically advertise Turbo with Intercooler. Are these two seperate
options available or are they one in the same? The Lance I'm looking at
just says Turbo in the ad and doesn't mention any intercooler.

Thanks.

The intercooler is a aftermarket STC'd modification. Without it, the
airplane will not be able to maintain high power settings above about
16,000' without overheating.

Does the intercooler require any maintenance ? I checked on it and it
appears that the company that was making the intercooler option has gone out
of business.

Old August 30th 05, 02:14 PM
Mike Rapoport

"John Doe" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

"John Doe" wrote in message
news

[...]

No, an intercooler is just a heat exchanger.

Mike
MU-2