Will a flight school sponsor a man from Vietnam?

Old September 2nd 04, 11:15 PM
Dean C. Harris

Default Will a flight school sponsor a man from Vietnam?

Hope you all can help out a friend of mine with information...

My friend has a brother in Vietnam and he wants to become a pilot. He
wants out of Vietnam and my friend wants him out of Vietnam to make a
better life for himself.

He has family support financially from his Sister (my friend) living
in Massachusetts (Boston).

I thought rather than contacting these schools individually...

http://www.beapilot.com/cgi-local/sc...eld_num ber=5

...I'd post here to get a global response.

Teh flight school doesn't need to be located within MA or even the
United States for that matter.

I guess we need to know if a flight school *could* sponsor a student
visa, is the first question.

If so, and I realize that is a big 'if', can someone give me a broad
approximation of yearly cost to attend flight school full time?

If a flight school can sponsor a student visa can people give me some
recommendations for schools within the state of MA, that would be most
ideal.

The person in question is male in mid to late 20's and in good health
with no criminal past at all.

Thanks very much in advance...

Regards,

Dean C. Harris
Old September 3rd 04, 01:45 AM
William W. Plummer

Dean C. Harris wrote:
[...]

Take a look at the place where I got my primary instruction
http://www.eagle-east.com/ . The rates for instruction and plane
rental are on the web site. I'm not sure what you are implying by
"sponsor" but FBOs are not altruistic organizations. They are
hardworking folk that need to make a living for themselves and their
families. Give Tim Campbell a call at the number shown. He was an
active Marine a few years back.
Old September 3rd 04, 03:23 AM
tony roberts

Sponsorship is usually done by a corporation that will sponsor the
applicant because they need their skills. It is not usually done by a
school (flight or otherwise) except in the case of a bursary or an
honorarium. So you do not appear to meet the criterea.

Also, right now it is difficult for a foreigner to obtain flight
instruction in the USA. Best example I can give - I know of a Canadian
who bought a helicopter and the purchase price included flight
instruction. When he went to cross the border between Canada and the USA
he was asked the purpose of his visit - told them flight instruction -
and was denied entry.

In my own case, as a Canadian registered pilot who is allowed to fly in
the USA,
I am a Brit - landed immigrant in Canada - I was denied a tour of
Seattle Centre because I was not born in the USA.
So if I, as a pilot who is allowed to fly Seattle Airspace and talk to
Centre on the radio, is not allowed to go and talk to Centre in person -
Well, you get the point - A Vietnamese, who cannot fly, who is looking
for someone in the USA to pay for him to learn . . . who wants to get
out of Vietnam . . .

Sorry - I cannot offer you any words of hope.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
Dean C. Harris wrote:

Hope you all can help out a friend of mine with information...

My friend has a brother in Vietnam and he wants to become a pilot. He
wants out of Vietnam and my friend wants him out of Vietnam to make a
better life for himself.

He has family support financially from his Sister (my friend) living
in Massachusetts (Boston).

I thought rather than contacting these schools individually...

http://www.beapilot.com/cgi-local/sc...ld_value=MA&so
rted_field_number=5

Old September 3rd 04, 04:53 AM
Dean C. Harris

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:23:41 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

Sponsorship is usually done by a corporation that will sponsor the
applicant because they need their skills. It is not usually done by a
school (flight or otherwise) except in the case of a bursary or an
honorarium. So you do not appear to meet the criterea.

Sorry. I used the wrong term. I was referring to this:

http://www.flight101.com/m1.html

His Sister can pay in full for the lessons.

I understand what you are stating regarding foreigner's and flight
training though.

I gave the info to my friend and she is following up on it.

Regards,

Dean

Old September 3rd 04, 04:56 AM
Dean C. Harris

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:45:47 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

Take a look at the place where I got my primary instruction
http://www.eagle-east.com/ . The rates for instruction and plane
rental are on the web site. I'm not sure what you are implying by
"sponsor" but FBOs are not altruistic organizations. They are
hardworking folk that need to make a living for themselves and their
families. Give Tim Campbell a call at the number shown. He was an
active Marine a few years back.

I'll pass the info along. Thanks. By sponsor I meant help obtain a
visa such as this:

Old September 3rd 04, 05:33 AM
Capt.Doug

"Dean C. Harris" wrote in message If a flight school can sponsor a
student visa can people give me some
recommendations for schools within the state of MA, that would be most
ideal.

Many flight schools can sponsor a J-1 visa. There are so many foriegn
students in the pattern around here that I sometimes wonder if I'm in the
US. I'm not familiar with MA schools, but most schools run about $25k for a
full professional pilot course(not including housing, meals, or travel
expenses). The course can be stretched out over a couple of years. He will
have to exit the US when his training is complete.

D.

Old September 3rd 04, 07:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

tony roberts wrote in message news:nospam-53784C.19240102092004@shawnews...
Sponsorship is usually done by a corporation that will sponsor the
applicant because they need their skills. It is not usually done by a
school (flight or otherwise) except in the case of a bursary or an
honorarium. So you do not appear to meet the criterea.

Sounds like you are talking about H-1 work visas. I think the poster
was talking about student visas.

-robert
Old September 3rd 04, 07:58 PM
Robert M. Gary

Most larger flight schools can do the J-1. There are a lot in Northern
California. One to check out is www.flyingvikings.com

-Robert

Old September 4th 04, 03:52 AM
Dean C. Harris

On 3 Sep 2004 11:58:20 -0700, (Robert M. Gary) wrote:

Most larger flight schools can do the J-1. There are a lot in Northern
California. One to check out is
www.flyingvikings.com

-Robert

Thanks. Will do. And yes- I was posting about a student visa.

Regards,
Dean