Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

Old February 10th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker, sometime poster on this forum and the other
rec.aviation forums. I've been a private pilot for almost two years
now, and to support my flying habit I'm also a software programmer
(yeah, throw a rock at a group of private pilots and there's a good
chance you'll either hit a doctor, lawyer or computer geek).

Anyway more to the point, I'm a huge fan of looking up aviation
information online, especially weather (I'm addicted to
adds.aviationweather.gov). But I'm disappointed in the lack of decent
software for accessing NOTAMs. There's DUATs and PilotWeb...and not
much else.

So a year ago I decided to build an application to get NOTAMs and
graphically draw the geographical data in the NOTAM text and overlay it
on a map. If you have some time feel free to take a look (its free, no
registration or signup required) its called Preflight Pro and its
located at http://www.notduats.com.

To see some sample NOTAM results take a look at the following links:
http://www.notduats.com/notam.aspx?s...n,dc&radius=20
http://www.notduats.com/notam.aspx?s...rnia&radius=20
http://www.notduats.com/notam.aspx?s...land&radius=20
http://www.notduats.com/notam.aspx?s...exas&radius=20

If you have any questions or feedback I'd like to hear them. Thanks for
your time!

Patrick Pohler
PP-SEL

Old February 10th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is fantastic!!

Old February 10th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

located at http://www.notduats.com.

Terrific site, Patrick -- I'll be using it often.

Now if you could only figure out a way to decode the absurd government-speak
abbreviations used in NOTAMs, you'd REALLY have a winner!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've entered "SAC" and "Sacramento" and keep getting the same image of
Columbus... Am I missing something?

Best Regards,
Todd

Old February 10th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've entered "SAC" and "Sacramento" and keep getting the same image of
Columbus... Am I missing something?

Strangely, when I first entered "KIOW", Columbus came up for me, too. In a
second or two, it displayed Iowa City correctly.

Maybe you've gotta have the "K" in "KSAC"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

hmmm...??? That didn't work either... I also tried "MHR" and "KMHR",
which should have returned something, but keep getting the same picture
of Columbus with the following response: "No available notams found for
this search!"

Todd

Old February 10th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yup, it looks like a bug. It does take a second while the search runs,
but SAC, KSAC, Sacramento don't return any search results at all (even
nearby airports like MHR aren't coming up either). I'll get to work on
that over the weekend, I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for
spotting that error Todd!

Old February 10th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks a lot Jay! I'm a big fan of your posts, and I hope to visit the
Inn someday soon. I'm from the Midwest and I've only been West of the
Mississippi twice. g

I have written an experimental decoder, but every time I run it my
computer starts to smoke.... :P

Pat

Old February 10th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm a developer too... I know how it goes! ;-)

I've bookmarked it, and will check it out again later...

Best Regards,
Todd

Old February 10th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nice concept! Here's a couple of thoughts for you:

1) My worst peeve with NOTAMs in general is all the "tower lights out
of service" NOTAMs. Provide a way to filter these out and I'll
DEFINITELY use this!

2) Allow a way to put in more than one airport at a time and get the
union of the applicable NOTAMs

--
Cheers!
John Clonts