ClearNav CNv XC Preview 2.2.1470 update

Old August 8th 13, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default ClearNav CNv XC Preview 2.2.1470 update

This software update is recommended for all CNv users.

Please get it at http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

Dataport functionality (which will become part of license controlled CNv XC software) will expire Dec 31, 2013.

Please stop by our forum for discussion of all things ClearNav

http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesforum/

Good Soaring,

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old August 9th 13, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Sierra

Evan,

I will be moving my CNv into a borrowed glider for the Std. Nationals without installing my CN. How can I load turn points into it for purposes of backup navigation? FYI, the glider's main NAV system is a L-NAV with Model 10 GPS and a Compaq 1550 with GNAVII.

Thanks in advance,
Fernando Silva (FS)
Old August 9th 13, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:00:11 PM UTC-4, Fox Sierra wrote:
Evan,

I will be moving my CNv into a borrowed glider for the Std. Nationals without installing my CN. How can I load turn points into it for purposes of backup navigation? FYI, the glider's main NAV system is a L-NAV with Model 10 GPS and a Compaq 1550 with GNAVII.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando Silva (FS)

Fernando,

Right now, you can't. This is next up on the CNv XC release plan. Predicting availability by Std's is too risky for me!

In any case, what we definitely will not have by that point is secure logging capability in CNv and I think you probably want a backup logger too.

FYI, CN is easy to install on a ram mount in almost any cockpit (though harder to remove from a behind the panel install), see

http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-installation.html

The other option is stand alone nav based on android or iOS device with internal GPS. TopHat, iGlide, XCSoar...

Good Soaring,

Evan
Old August 10th 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:09:45 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

Did you make any changes to allow for current coordinated to be designated as Home rather than forcing someone to pull out a laptop when they change an airfield to put coordinates of the new location into the profile and then upload it. This is a big pain in the rear end right now or hopefully it WAS.
Old August 10th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 9, 2013 7:02:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Yes, that caught me too. I dialed up the final glide page at R3 the other
day and to my dismay saw I had about 500 miles to go!

Matt
Old August 10th 13, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

[...]

For the short term, I suggest you create profiles for each of the airfields that you fly from, "Save As" to your USB drive with a name that includes the airport identifier and then leave the USB in the glider so that you can select the correct profile with the correct home point for whichever airport you are using any given day. This is literally a ten minute job... including five minutes to make a cup of coffee. I use half size San Disk Cruzer USB drives that I leave in the panel mounted USB port. This allows selecting a different profile any time, even in flight.

Best,

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old August 10th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:42:56 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

Why not having a smile choice "use current position as home airport" That should be simple things to do why bother with USB sticks just to change home airport. I don't need to use USB to change home airport in CND.